HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 9:34 PM

Wouldn't it look better if they continued w/the baclonies on the mechanical floor?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 9:36 PM
Plenary pleasures.

There's no point, it's a mechanical floor with no necessary access to the outside and it would be expensive to just add it for the sake of continuity - I think the message of the undulating balconies gets across nicely as is, no need to accentuate it even further if it isn't a requirement on that floor...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Well I have good news and bad news: the bad news is I'm an idiot and apparently don't know how to read drawings - so disregard my previous post about the balcony slabs not being curved, for the 14 floors of the hotel portion; the problem arose because on the CDs there is a rectangular grid around the whole balcony areas which acts as a way to define how the curving portion of the cantilever is built - I thought that was the actual extent/look of the slab edge, i.e., squared off, which is not the case, only the 4th floor slab is rectangular, the other floors WILL have curves, which is the good news; Sorry I'm an idiot...
Don't be so tough on yourself.

So I guess you're saying we should start seeing some curves -- as in once the current forms are removed?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 10:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
There's no point, it's a mechanical floor with no necessary access to the outside and it would be expensive to just add it for the sake of continuity - I think the message of the undulating balconies gets across nicely as is, no need to accentuate it even further if it isn't a requirement on that floor...
Agreed, why put a balcony where you don't need it. That is just lying to do that, its a frivolous extra that is completely against the philosophy of modernism, which I think Aqua firmly follows.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 10:36 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

The balconyless floors are fantastic.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 10:49 PM

I'm happy to hear that the waved balconies are still happening. I was afraid that they had become a victim of Lowenberg "value" engineering.

So it seems we may get our first view of the curved balconies in the coming week.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Agreed, why put a balcony where you don't need it. That is just lying to do that, its a frivolous extra that is completely against the philosophy of modernism, which I think Aqua firmly follows.
Several months ago (maybe a year now), there were 2 units (large one bedrooms) that were being marketed later in the pre-sale process, on that mechanical floor. One was on the west side and the other on the east side. As I recall from seeing those floor plans, they did include a balcony. I do not know if those units did sell, or if the 2 units on the mechanical floor idea was scapped.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 3:20 AM
Registered

^ Wow, wouldn't that be strange to share most of your floor with humming and whirring equipment?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 3:25 AM

One more unit has sold, so we're now down to three.

-(1) One bedroom plus den, 1.5 baths for $648,045 (59th floor)
-(1) One bedroom, plus den, 1.5 baths for $660,371 (70th floor)
-(1) three bedrooms, plus den, 2.5 baths for $984,390 (65th floor)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
^ Wow, wouldn't that be strange to share most of your floor with humming and whirring equipment?
That's what I thought. There was a solid concrete wall though separating the residential from mechanical. As I recall, the ceilings were a bit higher on that floor as well.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBuyer View Post
Several months ago (maybe a year now), there were 2 units (large one bedrooms) that were being marketed later in the pre-sale process, on that mechanical floor. One was on the west side and the other on the east side. As I recall from seeing those floor plans, they did include a balcony. I do not know if those units did sell, or if the 2 units on the mechanical floor idea was scapped.
Currently, there are four units on the mechanical floor (57th). 2 facing west and 2 east. Although technically they are corner units, they only have glass facing east and west; the north and south sides are concrete walls.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyBuyer View Post
One more unit has sold, so we're now down to three.

-(1) One bedroom plus den, 1.5 baths for $648,045 (59th floor)
-(1) One bedroom, plus den, 1.5 baths for $660,371 (70th floor)
-(1) three bedrooms, plus den, 2.5 baths for $984,390 (65th floor)
so after those 3 units are sold, it's completely sold out ?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber925 View Post
Currently, there are four units on the mechanical floor (57th). 2 facing west and 2 east. Although technically they are corner units, they only have glass facing east and west; the north and south sides are concrete walls.
Thanks for the additional info Saber925!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubai 1 View Post
so after those 3 units are sold, it's completely sold out ?
Yes they will be. I believe however there are some resale units being marketed by non-Magellan realtors.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 4:52 PM

Passed by the Aqua site on my way to work today on the way to Lower Wacker....it appears that the second rounded corner balcony has been relieved of its supports.

Asheesh

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 8:32 PM

Hi all,

I passed by again on the way home.....I was mistaken...some of the formwork is still there, but the balconies are exposed, revealing the beginnings of some noticeable curves. The should be even more pronounced by the next balconies.

Asheesh

Old Posted Dec 7, 2007, 9:24 PM

thanks, asheesh! thats very very exciting! i can't wait to see the curves

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 12:23 AM

Dec 07 - AM

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 12:59 AM
Endless Moments...

Man that is an awesome shot. Looking good...

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 8:58 AM

Harry's pics seem to indicate that this residential tower is really amongst some of the most dense, tallest corporate structures. This seems like an interesting setting, is this a new phenomenon (in Chicago or otherwise). It seems like an amazing place to live, right in the shadow of Aon and the Prus. Kind of like if they were to put residential in the wall street area or something.
"Chicago doesn't need Bryant to feel like a big-time player, just as it doesn't need Donald Trump to build a tower downtown to feel adequate. Nice that Trump's doing it, but when you have the Sears Tower and the Hancock building, you're pretty secure with who you are. And when somebody named Michael Jordan has graced your presence, somebody named Kobe Bryant isn't going to shake your world." Rick Morrissey, 2007

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive