HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 2:21 PM

BOOM!

Hudson Tunnel Project to Get $6.9 Billion in Largest U.S. Transit Grant

By Patrick McGeehan
6 July 2023
New York Times

"The federal funding would allow work on the long-delayed Gateway tunnel to start by next year, said Senator Chuck Schumer of New York.

The federal government is on track to give $6.88 billion, the most ever awarded to a mass-transit project, for the construction of a second rail tunnel under the Hudson River to New York City, Senator Chuck Schumer said Wednesday.

Mr. Schumer, the Democratic majority leader from Brooklyn, said he intended to announce the grant in the city on Thursday. A White House aide confirmed that the Department of Transportation planned to notify the tunnel project’s sponsor, the Gateway Development Commission, of the decision this week..."

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/06/n...l-gateway.html

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 7:18 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yup, happy friday!

boom goes the dynamite, show me the money, there it is.

Biden admin awards nearly $7B to Gateway Tunnel project, largest federal transit grant in US history

By Ben Brachfeld
Posted on July 6, 2023

The Biden administration has awarded an eye-popping $6.88 billion to build new train tunnels under the Hudson River between New York and New Jersey, with plans to start constructing the new tubes next summer and finally get the ball rolling on the long-gestating Gateway project.

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/gateway...deral-funding/

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 8:54 AM

They have to include double tracking the Empire Tunnel in this mega project.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2023, 3:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

They would if they were wise. The jury is out on that determination.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
more on congestion pricing —

Congestion pricing coming to NYC after Federal Highway Administration signs off

BY ELIJAH WESTBROOK 

JUNE 27, 2023

NEW YORK - Congestion pricing is set to become a reality for drivers coming into Manhattan's Central Business District.

The Federal Highway Administration has cleared the way for the city to implement the controversial plan.

This federal approval was the final hurdle in allowing the MTA to move ahead with rolling out congestion pricing. This means drivers will be charged a fee when they go below 60th Street or enter what's called the Central Business District.

The MTA hasn't set a fee scale yet, but a report it released last summer shows one proposal under review would charge $23 during rush hours and $17 for off-peak hours.

more:
https://apple.news/A6xSykLW7Tr-7SnVTMKgrIA
This is actually going to kill NYC! As a former NYer, if this becomes a reality, then I can see other cities slowly replacing NYC such as Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Miami.

There's no other city in America that has such a thing such as congestion pricing. I believe London has such a thing, but this being America, a lot of companies as well as a lot of shipping and trucking companies will have it harder and I can also see a lot of companies leaving NYC due to this short sighted plan!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 6:44 PM
Show me the blueprints

Are you being sarcastic ?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 6:52 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Are you being sarcastic ?
I was just wondering the same thing. I assume it must be satire.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 9:12 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
This is actually going to kill NYC! As a former NYer, if this becomes a reality, then I can see other cities slowly replacing NYC such as Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Miami.

There's no other city in America that has such a thing such as congestion pricing. I believe London has such a thing, but this being America, a lot of companies as well as a lot of shipping and trucking companies will have it harder and I can also see a lot of companies leaving NYC due to this short sighted plan!
So true. If there's one thing NYC is known for, its shipping and trucking companies. Even worse, theyre all located on Manhattan below 60th street!! The city's most iconic warehouses and logistics facilities will have to move to Queens and New Jersey. This will be the END of New York.

As for the trucks coming into the city, they might even have to come into the city at non-peak traffic hours, like at night or early morning!! The poor drivers will be sooo sleepy. total nightmare

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2023, 9:54 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Obviously there will be shipments and deliveries to and from central Manhattan, but if anything the companies doing the shipments will be among the most benefited by the congestion toll. That's mainly because they'll be able to perform their activities more quickly and predictably without being stuck in traffic.

Remember, congestion has a cost either way. Either in lost time and productivity though congestion, or through a fee that prevents congestion. The difference being that with congestion pricing, the price people pay isn't just wasted the way it is with lost time and productivity. The money from a congestion charge can be used to improve the city such as by expanding transit. But the toll that congestion takes is just wasted, evaporated into thin air. Cities lose billions every year due to congestion, so not having a fee is also expensive. This 2020 article pegs the cost of congestion in NYC as $11 billion per year. So yes, business will be glad to have a toll that improves their economic productivity rather than one that reduces it.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 1:51 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

what to do with fordham road bus transit —

Advocates for Fordham Road bus lane changes continue to push city, second protest planned for Tuesday

By Aliya Schneider
Posted on July 10, 2023

Advocates for better bus service on Fordham Road are not giving up.

In late May, the NYC Department of Transportation (DOT) announced intentions to move forward with offset bus lanes on Fordham Road instead of a busway — a more extreme measure for prioritizing bus service — just days after business leaders against both ideas wrote a letter to Mayor Eric Adams.

more:
https://www.bxtimes.com/advocates-fo...d-bus-changes/

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 1:55 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

today was a very sad morning, ugh —

Two men are dead after jumping in front of Manhattan subway trains Monday in separate incidents: NYPD

By Christian Murray
Posted on July 10, 2023

more:
https://www.amny.com/new-york/two-me...ncidents-nypd/

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 4:47 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Obviously there will be shipments and deliveries to and from central Manhattan, but if anything the companies doing the shipments will be among the most benefited by the congestion toll. That's mainly because they'll be able to perform their activities more quickly and predictably without being stuck in traffic.

Remember, congestion has a cost either way. Either in lost time and productivity though congestion, or through a fee that prevents congestion. The difference being that with congestion pricing, the price people pay isn't just wasted the way it is with lost time and productivity. The money from a congestion charge can be used to improve the city such as by expanding transit. But the toll that congestion takes is just wasted, evaporated into thin air. Cities lose billions every year due to congestion, so not having a fee is also expensive. This 2020 article pegs the cost of congestion in NYC as $11 billion per year. So yes, business will be glad to have a toll that improves their economic productivity rather than one that reduces it.
I was being sarcastic to poke fun at wanderer34. but yes congestion pricing can save as much as it costs in decongestion

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2023, 4:51 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
I was being sarcastic to poke fun at wanderer34. but yes congestion pricing can save as much as it costs in decongestion
Yes I could tell that was sarcasm. But I honestly wasn't sure about wanderer.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 12:55 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ i wonder if there will be anybody left to congestion tax after they bump out various constituencies?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 12:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

it’s baaaaaack!
2av work to start by end of the year —

Construction set to begin by end of year on Phase 2 of Second Avenue Subway

By Ben Brachfeld
Posted on July 5, 2023

Construction is set to begin by the end of this year on Phase 2 of the Second Avenue Subway, extending the Q line between 96th and 125th streets on Manhattan’s East Side.

The project will add three stations to the Q line in some of the city’s most densely populated transit deserts, such as 106th Street and Second Avenue, 116th Street and Second Avenue, and 125th Street and Lexington Avenue, where the Q train will terminate at a transfer station with the 4, 5, and 6 lines. The MTA says the line’s extension will eventually serve more than 100,000 riders each day.

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/constru...avenue-subway/

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
it’s baaaaaack!
2av work to start by end of the year —

Construction set to begin by end of year on Phase 2 of Second Avenue Subway

By Ben Brachfeld
Posted on July 5, 2023

Construction is set to begin by the end of this year on Phase 2 of the Second Avenue Subway, extending the Q line between 96th and 125th streets on Manhattan’s East Side.

The project will add three stations to the Q line in some of the city’s most densely populated transit deserts, such as 106th Street and Second Avenue, 116th Street and Second Avenue, and 125th Street and Lexington Avenue, where the Q train will terminate at a transfer station with the 4, 5, and 6 lines. The MTA says the line’s extension will eventually serve more than 100,000 riders each day.

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/constru...avenue-subway/
They should continue the 125th Street Curve all the way west to connect with that possible 125th Street Hudson Line Metro North Train Station.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 4:51 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ we can only hope continuing westward under 125 is on someone’s mind at the mta …!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 4:54 PM
Show me the blueprints

^ I believe that's what the MTA would like to eventually do. It's been reported from insiders and has had a couple articles with extent/termination concepts from the MTA. But it's beyond the scope of SAS Phase II and they have no intention on announcing/studying/seeking funding for that all while being neck deep in Phase II construction EVEN if it seems like it would make sense financially considering the TBM will already be in the ground under 125 St. To continue would really be more like a Phase III Alt - instead of the next phase being south of 63 St they would focus on completing a Harlem crosstown line with all of it's transfer connections first, though it would not surprise me if a couple years from now when construction is in full swing it's announced that the MTA intends to bore slightly further west (further west but still short of the Lenox Ave station) and leave a TBM in the tunnel for that very purpose. From what I've read the cost of access shaft construction and extraction of the TBM is often more than what the scrap value of the machine even is. It's why the ESA TBM head end is buried under Park Ave.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 5:47 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

jfk news —

Port Authority announces $125 million commercial redevelopment at JFK’s Terminal 8

By Bill Parry
Posted on July 12, 2023

The Port Authority and American Airlines announced a $125 million commercial redevelopment program for the new Terminal 8 at JFK Airport on Wednesday, July 12. The project will feature a New York-inspired Great Hall, which is expected to bring more than 60 new shopping and restaurant establishments, with an emphasis on locally owned and diverse businesses that will create economic opportunities for the communities of southeast Queens.

Following the recent completion of the $400 million expansion of Terminal 8, which was the first project to be completed in the massive $19 billion redevelopment project at JFK, the Great Hall will further enhance the customer experience at the termina with a complete redesign and expansion of the concessions program.

more:
https://qns.com/2023/07/port-authori...ks-terminal-8/

Terminal 8 will feature a New York-inspired Great Hall offering retail, dining, and performance space in addition to more than 300 jobs.
Courtesy of Port Authority

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 5:30 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Manhattan's Third Avenue redesign begins next week with upgrades for bikes, buses, pedestrians

By Catalina Gonella
Published Jul 17, 2023

A nearly 40-block stretch of Third Avenue in Manhattan will be getting a bus-, bike- and pedestrian-friendly makeover beginning next week, the Department of Transportation said Monday.

Two of the five current vehicle travel lanes will be turned into a dedicated bus lane and a parking-protected bike lane along the nearly two-mile segment of Third Avenue between East 59th Street and 96th Street.

more:
https://gothamist.com/news/third-ave...nd-pedestrians

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation