HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 12:13 PM

I don't mind them printing Bruce's thoughts as much, if they do their job and remain critical of what he has to say. Usually when they print the other side of the story that proves him wrong, the article just makes him look like an arse

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Postal worker, activist running for HRM council
A community activist is running for regional council in Timberlea-Prospect.

Shawn Lahey announced Thursday that he is seeking to represent the seat at city hall.

The lifelong resident of Halifax, a graduate of Saint Mary’s University and a 28-year employee with Canada Post, has lived in Timberlea for the past decade with his wife, Laura.

He has been involved in the BLT Rails to Trail Association, the Long Lake Provincial Park Association and the municipality’s community and race relations committee.

"I believe that it is important to elect a councillor who will be active and involved in promoting the development of education, local business opportunities, recreation and improved services for all of the communities of the district," he said in a release.
Nothing real special about this guy but he shoulds pretty good for the area he is runnng in.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 6:28 PM
You talkin' to me?

Well, I guess this is official now...

Quote:
With a hand-written speech, Boyd launches his run for mayor
Longshot candidate wants to turn HRM into sin city east

David Boyd says he is the candidate for change at Halifax city hall.

Mr. Boyd made that claim in front of three supporters and an equal number of journalists Monday night as his kicked off his mayoral campaign at Sullivans Pond in Dartmouth.

"Peter Kelly has been in there long enough," he said in an interview after a brief speech.

Mr. Kelly, the region’s mayor, has "done a great job, but recently people want to have more change," Mr. Boyd said.

Coun. Sheila Fougere (Connaught-Quinpool), the other person running for the city’s top political job, is not an option, he said.

"They’ve both had opportunity to change things and they both just haven’t done it."

Mr. Boyd made a big splash a few weeks ago when he announced his intention to run for mayor on a platform of making Halifax a "party city."

However, he admitted Monday night that it’s hard to keep the momentum going while he continues to work as a cabbie and tow truck driver.

And he knows that his strategy of approaching the next six weeks with no signs or headquarters, a limited budget and few campaign workers means his campaign will face an uphill battle.

"It’s a very hard climb," he said. "But it’s something that is necessary. It would be easier to stay at home and do my job and forget about other people’s problems and the city. But we’re in a point now where the city needs leadership . . . and it’s necessary for me to do this because no one else is going to do it."

Mr. Boyd will take about two to three weeks off work to put on a blitz in the weeks leading to the Oct. 18 municipal election.

During his speech, handwritten on loose-leaf sheets, Mr. Boyd said that change is never easy but "always necessary."

"New ideas, new leadership, new policies are what it takes to get . . . metro to move to the next level of opportunity and prosperity."

Now is the time for people to think about what they want in the future for their city, he said.

However, some of the points Mr. Boyd touched on in his speech seemed more appropriate for a provincial political run.

"I see change for more business, big and small, more community services to help people in need, and more opportunity for education and career growth."

The 36-year-old said he could "spend hours talking about the vision for metro," but he added that "time does not allow me that."

Instead, Mr. Boyd chose to keep his speech to about a minute and a half.

Afterward, he said Halifax is in need of more entertainment for people of all ages.

He said an amusement park for kids is a "great idea" and that adults should also have their own places to play.

"At one point in the 1990s, we had six strip clubs in . . . HRM and I think it wouldn’t hurt to have one strip club on the Halifax side."

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
three supporters and an equal number of journalists
I pretty much stopped reading there. Obviously nobody else takes him seriously, either.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2008, 8:10 PM

There was an article in the Herald today. Apparently the three Dartmouth councillors have been acclaimed (McKluskey, Younger and Karsten). And Walker was acclaimed as well.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 6:27 PM
You talkin' to me?

after how people have badmouthed council all this time, this is a little hard to believe:

Poll finds little appetite for change at city hall

Don’t expect any major changes with the upcoming municipal election.

A new Bristol Omnifacts Research poll commissioned by Metro Halifax shows urbanites and suburbanites have a weak appetite for change at city hall, with two thirds of those surveyed reporting some level of satisfaction with council. Mayor Peter Kelly rated even higher, with about three-quarters admitting some level of satisfaction.

Respondents were asked their satisfaction level on a scale with 1 “completely dissatisfied” and 10 “completely satisfied.”

Three-quarters of respondents said they pay attention to municipal politics.

“If I were an incumbent, generally speaking, I would not be concerned, unless there were specific issues in my district,” Layton Dorey, Bristol’s managing director of project development. “I wouldn’t expect to see broad-based changes.”

However, he pointed out the survey was done in August before the municipal campaign had really heated up. Council was also on summer break for three weeks in August.

“This could be considered a snapshot of what the public was thinking over the summer,” Dorey added.

The mayor calls the results “phenomenal.” But he isn’t pouring the champagne yet.

“The main poll that counts is on election day and I would never take anything for granted,” Kelly said.

The mayor has two mayoral opponents: David Boyd and Coun. Sheila Fougere, who says you can’t declare a winner before the race has even started. She asked people to keep an open mind and look at her record.

“I am very much a team player and even though Peter Kelly may say he is, I’ve worked with him for the past 10 years and I don’t believe that he is,” Fougere says.

When Coun. Tim Outhit was running in Bedford during a May byelection, he heard voters complaining about council.

Now, he says, the approval probably stems from council’s recent approval of several major downtown developments and the $40.5-million Mainland Common athletic centre.

“We’re not talking about dang cats anymore,” Outhit said.

The chair of Citizens for Halifax, a non-partisan citizens’ group with the goal to improve leadership at city hall, says two-thirds having at least some satisfaction is not enough.

“How come they’re not very satisfied?” Malcolm Fraser asked. “You get 50 to 60 per cent on an exam. Did you do really well? Do you really know what you’re doing? Probably not.”

While he admits it’s a bit frustrating to hear the numbers, Fraser says it doesn’t change his group’s impact or approach.

“If we’ve done nothing more than to inspire people to run for council, then that’s a good thing,” Fraser said.

He says his group now has about 500 members. That there are interest groups popping up all over the city are at odds with the results, he adds.

“I don’t think it changes the fact that there’s still a lot of people who are looking for vision, which is not necessarily a satisfaction issue,” Fraser said.

Dalhousie political science professor Jennifer Smith says the results are an important indicator for regional council and the mayor. But she says there is no evidence that poll results have a direct effect on the outcome of an election.

Last edited by Wishblade; Sep 16, 2008 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 8:05 PM

I do find those numbers a little surprising. It's true council has done some good lately, but for the past 4 years they have spent more time talking rather then taking action. I would very much like to see a fairly big mix up at council. We definitely need more vision for this city. I think there are a few councilors who have this ability to see what this city can be, but most are sourly lacking.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 8:38 PM

I would defnitely like to see some new councillors, but the good news is that two are quitting (i didnt like them much) so we'll have at least some new faces.

I read today that the enitre Bridgewater council was acclaimed...either they are really good councillors or nobody wanted the job.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 9:00 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I would defnitely like to see some new councillors, but the good news is that two are quitting (i didnt like them much) so we'll have at least some new faces.

I read today that the enitre Bridgewater council was acclaimed...either they are really good councillors or nobody wanted the job.
yeah, but how many councillors does Bridgewater have? And not only that, but I dare say that Bridgewater wouldn't exactly have the magnitude of issues that Halifax has.

If the entire Halifax council were to be acclaimed (aside from those 2 councillors) I would be in absolute shock.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 10:44 PM

Despite what people say to pollsters, most people are totally out of touch with what goes on at municipal council If there were informed, there is no way most of the current councillors would garner many votes. Most need to go.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 11:04 PM

I'm pretty sure Linda Mosher and Steve Adams are the only candidtates running in their respective districts right now... I don't mind either of them but it would be nice to at least have some choice (currently living in Linda Mosher's district 17)

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryscraper View Post
I'm pretty sure Linda Mosher and Steve Adams are the only candidtates running in their respective districts right now... I don't mind either of them but it would be nice to at least have some choice (currently living in Linda Mosher's district 17)
No, they both have opponents. Here is the list:

http://halifax.ca/election/documents...Agents2008.pdf

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 1:31 AM

Three of the councillors for Dartmouth were acclaimed. Which is fine with me. Gloria has really grown on me. I think she can still do more good for dartmouth.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 2:01 PM
You talkin' to me?

Has anyone heard about this person (cant remember her name) vying for council who wants ALL speed limits in HRM brought down to 40 to cut down on vehicle related accidents and deaths?

My honest opinion, shes out of her mind.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 3:09 PM

I've never heard that! A tad crazy, but isn't that something that the province would decide anyway?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 3:51 PM

Only on the 100-series highways, the local roads are HRM - I think. Or I'm wrong.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Has anyone heard about this person (cant remember her name) vying for council who wants ALL speed limits in HRM brought down to 40 to cut down on vehicle related accidents and deaths?

My honest opinion, shes out of her mind.

One of the army of candidates running for Fougere's seat... Amy Hilchie-Pye is her name I believe. And yes, she is nuts.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 10:27 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
One of the army of candidates running for Fougere's seat... Amy Hilchie-Pye is her name I believe. And yes, she is nuts.
Just looked it up, its actually Andrea Hilchie-Pye.

Also, I came accross her website: http://andrea4thepeople.com/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 1:39 AM

How many cities can say they have Newfie-Texans running for council?

Seriously though she might be pushing it doing the LSV zones, and 30km/h in school zones. It could be worse though...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 6:51 PM

Fougere open to plebiscite on whether to break up HRM
Kelly slams idea as costly and short-sighted
By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Thu. Sep 18 - 6:13 AM
One size doesn’t fit all, says Ha­lifax mayoral candidate Sheila Fougere.

And it’s time to put a plebi­scite question out to voters ask­ing if they’d support breaking up the municipality.

“I’m open to the idea, absolutely," she said Wednes­day, noting that if she were elected mayor on Oct. 18, she’d support a plebiscite in 2010 so that changes could be made in time for the 2012 elections.

The councillor for Con­naught- Quinpool since June 1998, Ms. Fougere has been out campaigning for mayor for the last few months.

And the municipal amalga­mation of 1996, which brought together the former cities of Ha­lifax and Dartmouth with the town of Bedford and Halifax County, is still on the minds of many people.

“I think we need a different model of governance because . . . even after all these years, people are saying it does not serve them well.
“And we can’t just ignore that."

However, a plebiscite can’t simply be sprung on Haligo­nians, she says. People need more information before the choice is actually made because there are many implications.

It cost multimillions of dol­lars to create the amalgamated municipality and it won’t come apart for free, she says.

“If people are going to vote in a plebiscite, then they need that information so they know what the implications are," she says. “As mayor, I will make sure you are informed and well aware of all our options."

For example, there could be separate urban and rural coun­cils, or a model similar to the current structure but with few­er councillors working within a caucus structure to address lo­cal issues, or a completely dif­ferent model altogether.

“The most important thing to consider is information," she says.

However, “I don’t want people to think I want to study this to death before something is done. And the truth is, I think some­thing needs to be done."

Mayor Peter Kelly says noth­ing needs to be done.

“It’s short-sighted and a nega­tive direction that would cost millions of dollars and put mu­nicipal infrastructure re­sources at risk," the current mayor said Wednesday.

“I would have an issue with chopping up what we have."

The issue has not come up at all at the doors he’s been knock­ing on during the election cam­paign, he says.

“I don’t think taking the ur­ban and rural divide is the way to go," he said.

“It would disenfranchise many and . . . bring further fi­nancial strain on the rural com­munity."

He says it’s important to un­derstand that most of the mu­nicipality’s resources — includ­ing compost operations, resid­ual waste landfill and water op­erations — are in the rural areas.

“So our strategic resources and infrastructure are in the areas they’re contemplating to cut off. So we would be cutting off our nose to spite our face."

There are also issues sur­rounding staffing, pensions and unions.

“So it’s a negative discussion. “Why would we want to waste money where we don’t have money to waste, and why would we want to continually have this negative discussion when it doesn’t do anything positive for the municipality?"

Back in 2000, Mr. Kelly was the councillor for Bedford who ran his first successful campaign for mayor by promising to be “one voice for all of HRM."

That sentiment continues, he says.

“We’re a community of com­munities and it is one voice for all. Nobody is better, nobody is less, and together we’re strong­er."

Ms. Fougere disputes that characterization.

“Despite claims of being a community of communities, HRM paints with a fairly broad brush across the entire munici­pality," she said.

“Our current model does not consider our diversity and doesn’t address the varying needs of urban, suburban and rural communities."

Her views are reflected in a new poll, conducted in August and released Wednesday, by Corporate Research Associates. The company has been track­ing trends in municipal govern­ance for more than two years.

As a result, its polling shows a definitive upswing for a differ­ent model of governance.

“Support for (de-amalgama­tion) is at an all-time high," CRA president Don Mills said of the 61 per cent figures returned in the survey.
There are a number of factors which could contribute to the higher numbers this time around, he said.

They include the increased scrutiny regional council has been under over the past six months (including an unpop­ular licensing cat issue, he points out), or even increased awareness because of the up­coming election.

Mayoral candidate David Boyd said he thought a lot about splitting up the municipality a few years ago.

However, his plan at that time was to divide the area into coun­cils governing north, south, east and west precincts, instead of into urban and rural.

Today, he supports keeping the municipality whole.

“There’s no question that ru­ral communities may have lost. But overall, I believe amalgama­tion is working and should stay the way it is, myself. You know, if it’s not broke, don’t try fixing it."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy