HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 1:00 AM

National Defense looks to buy back Shearwater

From yesterday's Herald:

Quote:
Published: 2009-03-18

Rapid-fire spending

Defence Department brings millions to N.S. for military upgrades

By CHRIS LAMBIE Staff Reporter

Defence Minister Peter MacKay was at 12 Wing Shearwater on Tuesday to announce some old spending and new spending, and to hint at more spending to come.

His department has spent $4.6 million upgrading military housing units on the base and aims to provide another $13.5 million to build an armoury for military police in Bedford. The minister also indicated plans are in the works to retrieve a huge chunk of Shearwater land, including a long runway, which his department sold as surplus seven years ago.

"Today’s announcement demonstrates our government’s commitment to provide the Canadian Forces with the practical, real infrastructure they need, while at the same time contributing economic benefits and jobs," Mr. MacKay told a group at the officers mess.

The defence minister has been on a cross-country trip this week making military spending announcements.

"As part of our quick-impact approach, our government is cutting red tape, taking extraordinary and unprece-dented action to ensure that critical investments are not delayed," Mr. MacKay said.

The more than $18 million in spending announced Tuesday should create about 100 jobs, he said, "which is good news, especially in these tough economic times."

Shearwater "is one of the real gems of Canadian Forces bases, with water access, air and road access. (It’s) of great strategic importance, not just for our community and country, but for North America," he said.

"I hope to be back here very soon with further comments with respect to the long runway that’s been the subject of much discussion."

A group of senior retired military officers have been lobbying Ottawa to retrieve the Shearwater land it sold, arguing it would be the ideal place to base the standing contingency task force.

The force, which has been put on hold until after the 2010 Winter Olympics, would use an amphibious ship to transport Canadian troops and gear to hot spots around the world.

"One of my earliest briefings when I became minister of national defence was with respect to this long runway and what a valuable asset this was," Mr. MacKay said.

In March 2002, his department sold 365 hectares of Shearwater land to Canada Lands Co. for $1.5 million.

The military bought back about one-third of that land four years ago to build hangars and other facilities for new maritime helicopters that will eventually be based at the wing.

Last year, the military told the Crown corporation it wants all the land back.

Mr. MacKay wouldn’t divulge the price tag.

"We’re still negotiating that," he said.

"It’s actually going before the Treasury Board, so I don’t have a final cost."

The sale could happen within two months, said Gordon McIvor, vice-president of Canada Lands, an arm’s-length, self-financing body.

"We always, always conduct our business at market value," Mr. McIvor said.

While he wouldn’t divulge the asking price, he said the land "is certainly worth more," than what Canada Lands paid for it.

"It’s certainly worth many, many millions of dollars," he said.

The new armoury announced Tuesday will be built on two hectares of land the military plans to buy in Bedford. Construction is slated to start in two years on the building, which will house a reservist military police unit.

"They’re in a strip mall right now in Lower Sackville," said naval Capt. John Newton, the commander of CFB Halifax.

The defence minister capped off his visit to Shearwater with a stop on Barracuda Drive, where he cut the ribbon on one of the base’s refurbished homes.

"We’re looking forward to living in the new renovations," said Leading Seaman Michael Fraser, who is training to become a submariner.

He and his wife, Kari, and two young children, David and Sarah, are moving into a three-bedroom home on the base.

"We took a little walk around this one and I saw her gears turning," Leading Seaman Fraser said of his wife.

"She’s looking forward to the whole ‘I want to make my nest now and be happy.’ "

( clambie@herald.ca)
Sounds like excellent news to me, just about everyone agrees selling off that runway and scaling Shearwater back to a heliport was a huge mistake. Of course, should we end up with a Liberal government in the future, who knows what will happen. As much as I dislike the Conservatives, Shearwater is a huge issue for me, and the Liberals gave it a huge blow last time they were in power...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 1:57 AM

I'm in favor of Shearwater.

The only thing I might have a problem with is I think this is part of the Russell Lake West future plans.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 1:08 PM

I don't know how there can be plans when the property is still owned by the federal government. They shouldn't make plans for property which you don't own, or isn't for sale yet.

There was a comment on the Herald site for that article, somebody wondering what about all the poor folks who built new homes or bought along Caldwell Road. Well boo-hoo, it's still an active military airfield with daily flight operations. Again, don't buy next door to it unless you're willing to put up with it, either in its current or future state.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 10:42 PM

This property never ever even came close to leaving the federal inventory. DND simply sold it to Canada Lands, an arms length crown corporation. Canada Lands would have redeveloped the site with local developers which would have taken a while. The process seems to have been cancelled since DND wants the land back and now their is the usual squabbling about how much they should pay for their seller's remorse. Canada Lands should tread lightly though, DND is their main source of valuable properties and they're in the process of securing Shannon Park. What's the old saying about biting the hand that feeds you

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 5:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good idea.

I was always a bit perplexed that they closed CFB Shearwater in the first place.

I presume that if this were to transpire, Shearwater would again become the permanent home of the Halifax International Airshow.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 5:42 PM

Shearwater hasn't closed, it's still very much open, just as a heliport now.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Good idea.

I was always a bit perplexed that they closed CFB Shearwater in the first place.

I presume that if this were to transpire, Shearwater would again become the permanent home of the Halifax International Airshow.
it would be great to bring back the airshow there. It was a prefect place for it.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 6:56 PM

Looks like it's a done deal:

Quote:
Government Announces Reacquisition of Land at Shearwater

NR–09.023 - April 3, 2009

SHEARWATER, NS – The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, today announced the reacquisition of approximately 235 hectares of land located adjacent to Shearwater.

“Shearwater has played a critical role in Canadian Forces operations for decades and will continue to be a cornerstone of maritime and air operations for decades to come,” said Minister MacKay. “The reacquisition of this land will allow the flexibility necessary to accommodate future requirements – in terms of personnel, equipment and facilities – in the Halifax region”.

“Shearwater provides a major economic benefit for the province of Nova Scotia, and shows the Government of Canada’s commitment to maintaining a vital military presence in the region,” added Minister MacKay.

“This land acquisition will ensure that 12 Wing can fulfil its mission to safeguard the sovereignty of coastal waters and Canadian interests around the world,” said the Chief of the Defence Staff, General Walt Natynczyk.

In March 2002, as part of their infrastructure reduction program, the Government of Canada sold 373.12 hectares of surplus land at Shearwater to Canada Lands Company CLC Limited.

This reacquisition will ensure that surrounding developments are not adversely affected by military operations.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-no...ng.asp?id=2936

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 7:20 PM

Wonder if this means they will rehab and reopen the runways? Hope so.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 9:35 PM

I believe so.I see no other reason why they would buy it back if not to use it. They'll have to rip it completely up and redo it, I was reading through some reports when I worked there about the condition of the runways and taxiways.. not good.
I'm excited now, hopefully in a few years (or longer) Shearwater will be home to some larger aircraft, like the C-17 Globemaster - in addition to the CH-148 Cyclone coming in a couple years.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 12:46 PM

And hopefully we can get the airshow back!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 6:33 PM

Nice backgrounder on the CF website posted April 8:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-no...ng.asp?id=2947

Quote:
Shearwater Construction Projects

BG – 09.014 - April 8, 2009

As one of the oldest military airfields in Canada, Shearwater's history reflects the evolution of flying in Canada and indeed the growth of Canada's Air Force. Having been home to Canada's air squadrons for the past 80 years, Shearwater has provided continuous service longer than any other Canadian military air base.

Created as a U.S. naval air base in 1918, Shearwater subsequently became an air base for the Royal Canadian Air Force, and the Royal Canadian Navy. With the integration of the Armed Forces in 1968, Shearwater became a Canadian Forces Base.

Today, 851 CF members and 39 civilian employees are employed at the Shearwater site. 12 Wing, the air force base located at Shearwater, continues in its role of safeguarding the sovereignty of our coastal waters and helping to protect Canadian interests abroad.

TIMELINE

Prior to 1994, the Department of National Defence (DND) operated two bases within the Halifax-Dartmouth area: Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Halifax and 12 Wing Shearwater. While both bases supported numerous military units, the primary role of CFB Halifax (located mainly on the west side of the harbour) was to support the Atlantic naval fleet. The primary role of 12 Wing Shearwater (located on the east side of the harbour) was to support fixed-wing aircraft and helicopter operations.

On February 22, 1994, as part of the Defence Expenditure Reductions, DND announced plans to reduce departmental costs by consolidating base infrastructure. The Shearwater site was transferred to CFB Halifax, and was reduced from a full airport to a military heliport.

On September 1, 1995, Shearwater officially became a heliport. The surplus realty assets were originally transferred to a local development agency known as the Shearwater Development Corporation. After the corporation ceased operation in 1999, DND resumed control of the property. In March 2002, the Department sold 373 hectares of surplus land at Shearwater to the Canada Lands Company CLC Limited (CLC).

In November of 2004, under the Maritime Helicopter Project (MHP), two contracts were awarded to Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation. The first contract, worth $1.8 billion, covered the acquisition of 28 CH‑148 Cyclones and ship modifications. The second contract, valued at $3.2 billion, is for a 20-year in-service support contract whereby DND is required to provide functional space within Shearwater’s infrastructure for Sikorsky to set up various integrated support services.

While defining the operational requirements to convert the Shearwater airfield to a heliport, DND concluded that some of the surplus land previously sold to CLC would have to be reacquired. In July 2006, in order to support the Shearwater Heliport Conversion Project, a market-value land exchange transaction was completed with CLC, in accordance with Government of Canada policy. The Department received three parcels of land totalling 154.83 hectares in exchange for one parcel of 34.35 hectares.

In October 2008, DND reacquired approximately 16 hectares of land from CLC for security purposes. In early 2009, DND will reacquire the northeast parcel of approximately 235 hectares of land from CLC.
Click the link for more information, and a nice little map that shows what DND presently owns, right now (orange) and what CLC owns, or owned until DND bought it back, or is in the process of buying back (purple). That small little wedge of purple in the center of the map is owned by the Coast Guard for their helicopter operations.

This also shows that I was incorrect in our discussion in Waye's HRM communities map project thread, DND doesn't own the land where the approach lights are. And FYI that part they own at the far north of the map that is away from the rest of the base is a recreation park, there's bike and walking trails all around there. Owned by DND.

Last edited by hfx_chris; Apr 14, 2009 at 6:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 2:31 AM

Interestingly enough, the 2010 NS International Air Show is coming back to Shearwater! Heard it tonight on the news, and verified at http://www.nsairshow.ca/

The news story said that larger aircraft would be flown out of HIAA for the aerial displays, but smaller fixed wing aircraft and helicopters would be flown out of Shearwater.

This raises quite a few questions for me.

1. Does this mean there will be no large aircraft on static display at Shearwater, such as the Herculese or Globemaster?
2. How do they intend to land any fixed wing aircraft anyway? Runway 16/34 is closed and decomissioned (unless there have been further developments since I stopped working there), 10/28 no longer esists (literally) and the new 16H/34H is not rated for fixed wing operations.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy