HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 10:20 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
I agree, .... and I think the Canadian model of banking is now the envy of the western world....and I don't consider them to be lefty at all, more conservative in there policies.... and in times previous it was to the chagrin of analysts and some investors

...but the thrust of my piece is that the energy crisis bled America dry,and finished the job that all the job loses had started.... hence the ever more risky measures taken by banks and investment bankers to make their quarterly earnings and get those juicy bonus's .....do you think America would have had so much bad debt without all that energy money leaving the country every day?....

ohhh and what is your responce to the part where I said that most economies in the developed world had ground to a halt 9 months before the financial market freezing, lending drying up and in general all hell breaking loose?
There isn't a lot to argue about that, except oil prices are going to go back up and up and up, so we have to find ways to continue to have an economy while weaning ourselves from oil/hydrocarbons.

I don't think the oil thing exclusively caused the economies to slow down. I think it was a perfect storm of some avoidable stuff, some not.

For us in Nova Scotia? Frig all this crap about wind power and tidal power, lets rebuild all the dams and spillways that were ever used to generate power (muncipal, and industrial/forestry) and also run the cables to Newfoundland. We have all the power we need, for no fuel cost at all, right here, right now.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 10:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I've always wondered why NS doesn't just buy power from Newfoundland. Is there something difficult about undersea power cables? NS and NB could also provide a path to US markets without the terrible terms imposed by Quebec in the past.

As for oil prices, there's a reason why they went up so much - instability and high demand. Oil is just one piece of the overall trend of over-consumption that many countries engaged in. The fundamental problem in the US is that they cannot afford the way they were trying to live (mortgages for everybody, 101% car ownership, cheap goods from Asia, military spending, the list goes on...). Canada is healthier right now because it was more economically conservative on both an institutional and private level.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 12:56 AM
opinionated so and so

Not difficult, just pricey. $12 billion was the last figure I heard.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:02 AM

Oil also goes up because there hasn't been a new refinery for many years. Getting it out of the ground isn't the problem. Turning it into useable oil is.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 4:25 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Not difficult, just pricey. $12 billion was the last figure I heard.
How much was the land route through Quebec though?

I'm guessing if you figure out the losses to NF over the years it always would have been worth running a line to NS...

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 11:17 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Oil also goes up because there hasn't been a new refinery for many years. Getting it out of the ground isn't the problem. Turning it into useable oil is.
You need to read up, even the oil industry admits that we are running out of easily extractable oil.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

As for oil prices, there's a reason why they went up so much - instability and high demand. Oil is just one piece of the overall trend of over-consumption that many countries engaged in.
*************************************************************************************************************************
~everything in between the Asterix was written by Barrington South ~

Ithe price of oil in the beginning of 02 was below $20
by July 08 it was $147....

there is no way in that consumption went up by over 7 times....sure increased consumption played a part...but generally the cartel that is OPEC F***** us up the a**

...and according to Donald Trump (I don't know whether you put much faith in his view....however) according to Don, as soon as the economy has recovered, OPEC will tighten the noose again and we will be back to square one....or worse..and a quote from Global Reashersh.ca...."the price of crude oil today is not made according to any traditional relation of supply and demand" I think that's an overstatement, but you can see what I'm getting at

I agree partially with what you said below, but the fact is that energy prices had ground the entire world to a halt before America pushed it over the edge....like waye mason said it was a perfect storm....but my original point was, if America is broke...from oil and everything else......and if the massive spending spree doesn't work.....which is a very realistic possibility.....America could could go totally bust and not just decimate itself.....but also take much of the world with it
*************************************************************************************************************************

The fundamental problem in the US is that they cannot afford the way they were trying to live (mortgages for everybody, 101% car ownership, cheap goods from Asia, military spending, the list goes on...). Canada is healthier right now because it was more economically conservative on both an institutional and private level.

Last edited by Barrington south; May 14, 2009 at 3:59 PM. Reason: I screwed up my quote tryin' to get fancy

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

As for oil prices, there's a reason why they went up so much - instability and high demand. Oil is just one piece of the overall trend of over-consumption that many countries engaged in.

The fundamental problem in the US is that they cannot afford the way they were trying to live (mortgages for everybody, 101% car ownership, cheap goods from Asia, military spending, the list goes on...). Canada is healthier right now because it was more economically conservative on both an institutional and private level.
OPPPPPPS...everything that was written between where the Astrix that are above, only on the previous post was completely written by Barrington South...I screwed up trying to get fancy with my quotes....sorry to someone123 for making it seem like I was speaking for him...my bad

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
There isn't a lot to argue about that, except oil prices are going to go back up and up and up, so we have to find ways to continue to have an economy while weaning ourselves from oil/hydrocarbons.

I don't think the oil thing exclusively caused the economies to slow down. I think it was a perfect storm of some avoidable stuff, some not.

For us in Nova Scotia? Frig all this crap about wind power and tidal power, lets rebuild all the dams and spillways that were ever used to generate power (muncipal, and industrial/forestry) and also run the cables to Newfoundland. We have all the power we need, for no fuel cost at all, right here, right now.
I completely agree with all that you said above Waye..

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 9:12 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
I completely agree with all that you said above Waye..
Why thank you sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar (or the feminine version if need be).

There are plenty of places where you can (largely) get around environmental assessment because they already had a power station, to run the saw mill. Every damn one of them needs a generator station. NSP needs to be broken up into a supplier/network model. Green power needs to be paid for at market, not this crappy fixed rate.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy