HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 12:34 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Montreal has none.
The aversion of US chains (and some Canadian chains) to set up in Quebec also sideswipes Atlantic Canada.

It means that to many such businesses that rely on franchising, that Atlantic Canada seems "apart" from the ROC, and more difficult to get to or service. I'm sure that's the reason why many international franchises populate the rest of Canada before finally coming here..........

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 12:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

it is just a chicken joint. Slightly better quality than Dirty Bird (KFC).
Montreal has the world's greatest chicken restaurant (Chalet BBQ, on Sherbrooke Ouest).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The aversion of US chains (and some Canadian chains) to set up in Quebec also sideswipes Atlantic Canada.

It means that to many such businesses that rely on franchising, that Atlantic Canada seems "apart" from the ROC, and more difficult to get to or service. I'm sure that's the reason why many international franchises populate the rest of Canada before finally coming here..........
I think this is very true.

It's less cost-effective on a number of fronts to operate a handful of locations when you have an 800 km* dead zone with no presence at all.

*Or even more than 1000 km if you consider where cities of decent size where you'd want a location are in New Brunswick.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
1 Popeyes is just a stop by the highway, 2 is a real city.
If I were philantropist enough, I'd be in a position to single-handedly bring my hometown (Sherbrooke QC) into the big leagues: https://franchising.popeyes.com/

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
If I were philantropist enough, I'd be in a position to single-handedly bring my hometown (Sherbrooke QC) into the big leagues: https://franchising.popeyes.com/
I don't doubt that but I think that it's probably Popeye's itself that is resisting entering Quebec.

There are lots of people in Montreal with lots of money, and many people there are aware of Popeye's due to travel in Ontario and the US.

I am sure Popeye's have already been approached by multiple people wanting franchises in Montreal especially, but for some reason I guess they've all been turned down.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:33 PM

Quote:

More seriously, I have read that Kitchener and/or London are often early test markets for US chains entering Canada outside of Toronto, so it's probably not the best point of comparison. We now have Chick-fil-A in Kitchener, for example, which along with Windsor are the only locations in Canada outside Toronto. I don't get the fuss, to be honest - I thought the chicken was pretty mediocre, on par with Mcdonalds, and the waffle fries were limp and disappointing. Sadly, judging from the massive line-ups that they still get at their drive through months after opening, you can expect wider expansion to the rest of the country.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:41 PM

Quote:
I don't doubt that but I think that it's probably Popeye's itself that is resisting entering Quebec.
This could be it but it could be due to the the fact it is a chain selling fried chicken.. those kind of restaurants do not do well in Quebec (just look at PFK (KFC)).

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:43 PM

Ontario is punching above its weight in Popeyes!

popeyes

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:47 PM

Quote:

There are lots of people in Montreal with lots of money, and many people there are aware of Popeye's due to travel in Ontario and the US.

I am sure Popeye's have already been approached by multiple people wanting franchises in Montreal especially, but for some reason I guess they've all been turned down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatox View Post
This could be it but it could be due to the the fact it is a chain selling fried chicken.. those kind of restaurants do not do well in Quebec (just look at PFK (KFC)).
I doubt that it's the chain that's saying no (to good, solvent franchisees).

There are already tons of restaurants per capita in this province, and KFC already has that market and it's not that big of a segment.

It's harder to enter a market than to thrive in it if you're there already.

Consider In-N-Out in SoCal; they do well, but if I were to try to open some in Quebec, where they'd compete with everything that's there already (McD's, Burger King, La Belle Province, A&W, etc.), I'd likely fail. It would take too long to get established, you'd have to cross a long desert of unprofitability before having any hope of being in the black, and it's not worth it.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

For the record, there is a "Popeye's" not too far from me in Gatineau, but it's this place:

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...osQpx96BAgjEAg

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Ontario is punching above its weight in Popeyes!

popeyes

This no doubt reflects the overwhelming urbanity of southern Ontario - a true paradise.

BTW, what's up with Wyoming? Is Cheyenne not urban enough for a Popeye's???

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanatox View Post
Yes, Quebec is rôtisserie chicken territory, not fried chicken territory.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:50 PM

Quote:
That's clear in the Popeyes map posted above

Which, for the record, settles the Maine vs Nova Scotia debate. NS is grey, ME is orange.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
That's clear in the Popeyes map posted above
Although Halifax's first Popeye's opens today (coincidentally), and both Moncton and Fredericton will be getting outlets later this year or next.

This will leave PEI, NL, WY, the territories, and QC........

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:53 PM

Quote:
This no doubt reflects the overwhelming urbanity of southern Ontario - a true paradise.

BTW, what's up with Wyoming? Is Cheyenne not urban enough for a Popeye's???
Yeah, I was thinking, if you put a gun to my head and forced me to get a franchise, it wouldn't be in Quebec, it would be alongside Interstate 80 in Wyoming.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Although Halifax's first Popeye's opens today (coincidentally), and both Moncton and Fredericton will be getting outlets later this year or next.
I missed that part of the thread. (Must be why we're discussing it right now: I know SSP well enough to guess that someone from NS bragged about it, and that's how this whole (mocking, by most) discussion got launched.)

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 2:14 PM

Quote:
I missed that part of the thread. (Must be why we're discussing it right now: I know SSP well enough to guess that someone from NS bragged about it, and that's how this whole (mocking, by most) discussion got launched.)
It grew out of a map of remoteness in Canada that was based on some really questionable data points.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 2:16 PM

The line up in Halifax this morning from Twitter:

Drive thru lined up the street:

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 2:21 PM

Congrats to Halifax on joining the big leagues! Quebec on the other hand

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 2:22 PM
ハルウララ

how can I possibly be expected to enjoy my visit to Quebec if there aren't any Popeyes there

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada