HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 7:13 AM

in n out burgers prints a bible verse number on their packaging yet no one freaks out about them in comparison to chic fil a.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 9:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
in n out burgers prints a bible verse number on their packaging yet no one freaks out about them in comparison to chic fil a.
AFAIK there have been no accusations of funding anti-LGBT activities.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 1:45 PM

Quote:
I am ok with that. We do live in a country that tolerates religion. If the owners of a burger place fell the best way for them to worship their religion is to print those verses on the wax paper the use to capture the grease and sauce from a burger so bit it.

I think the line should be when they start to treat others with disrespect.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
When I was dating a guy in Nashville for a while, a couple years back, he took me to Chik Fil A and after they gave me my order they said "have a blessed day" I almost said "what the fuck" out loud. Kissed my ex in the parking lot after that.
If you've travelled much in the South, that's a very common saying - it's not a chick-fil-a thing.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Last I read Chick-Fil-A was an incredibly religious organization that wouldn't, as one example, hire LGBTQ employees because they didn't align with their values. I know people protested in Toronto when they first opened.

They said they would stop donating to companies that held anti-LGBT positions in 2020.

Before and during COVID the Yonge & Bloor location was always lined up out the door and I just assumed the people in line didn't realize they were supporting a company that held discriminatory views.
It's hard to keep track of the corporate values of the businesses one frequents for even the best of us (lots of camouflage going on), so most people are largely unaware until all of a sudden a media campaign against company X takes off.

I have a lot of teens and young adults around me and while they're fairly sensitive to such things (one of them even produced a "read the labels" guide on ethical clothes purchases as an international baccalaureate graduation project), I still find them quite unaware of the stuff I sometimes bring up.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 5:08 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Being religious is not the same as being anti-LGBT, which is what Chick-Fil-A actively is and was.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Being religious is not the same as being anti-LGBT, which is what Chick-Fil-A actively is and was.
I say "prove it". Do they refuse service to anyone at all? No. Did they open up the Sunday of the Orlando bombing of the gay bar that gave free food to those affected? Yes. Does the company donate to religious organizations? It did, but does no longer. Was the owner a Christian? Yes. Please prove they are anti-LGBT any more than you might be anti-Christian.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:10 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
I say "prove it".
Quote:
Notably, Chick-fil-A never explicitly said it would permanently stop donating to anti-gay groups or organizations that discriminate against LGBTQ people — it just said it was changing its philanthropic giving model. Chick-fil-A didn’t respond to The Goods’ request for comment, but a company spokesperson did tell VICE that it wouldn’t rule out giving to religious groups in the future.
Quote:
But the 2012 incident wasn’t the first time the Cathys were accused of homophobia. A year earlier, a Pennsylvania Chick-fil-A’s decision to donate food to a marriage seminar conducted by the Pennsylvania Family Institute, a group known for its anti-gay advocacy, prompted a nationwide boycott of the chain. Cathy issued a video statement in response to the boycott, in which he claimed the company “serves all people” and that, while he personally believes in the “biblical definition of marriage,” his company doesn’t have an “anti-gay agenda.” And back in 2002, a former employee of a Houston Chick-fil-A sued the chain for discrimination. The employee, who was Muslim, alleged he had been fired because he refused to pray to Jesus with other employees. The suit was settled out of court.
Quote:
In 2011, the same year a Pennsylvania Chick-fil-A franchise donated food to a local anti-gay organization, the LGBTQ advocacy group Equality Matters obtained tax records which revealed that the Cathy family had donated more than $1.9 million to anti-gay groups in 2010 through the WinShape Foundation, the Cathy family’s charitable giving organization founded by Truett Cathy in 1984. Those donations included a $1.1 million gift to the Marriage & Family Foundation, a group that promoted so-called traditional marriage and opposed both gay marriage and divorce; $480,000 to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, an athletic organization that requires applicants to agree to a “sexual purity statement” that condemns LGBTQ people for living “impure lifestyle[s]”; and $1,000 to Exodus International, a group that promotes anti-gay conversion therapy.
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/5...obia-dan-cathy

Quote:
Your choice to abstain from a fried chicken sandwich might not seem to do much for the third of LGBT high school students who face bullying at school or 40% of transgender adults who have made a suicide attempt. But Ashtin Berry, a sommelier, bartender, and hospitality industry activist, connects the dots between micro and macro. “What people are missing,” Berry explains, “is that the decision to eat at Chick-fil-A isn’t just interpersonal; it is complicit in structural oppression. Chick-fil-A is an $11 billion company that supports anti-LGBTQIA+ legislation on a state and federal level. So the individual decision to eat and engage with the business is a decision to be complicit in their practices.”
Quote:
Boycotting Chick-fil-A isn’t changing the world, but it is refusing to be complicit in what many assume to be an oppressive structure. That’s only the first step, though: Once we understand the ways our personal decisions contribute to larger injustices, we can begin to visualize the labor required to affect real change. For some, total ethical consumption isn’t currently feasible from a time or cost perspective. To that end, Ho muses, “Perhaps a better question to ask would be: Why isn’t it realistic for average Americans to make better ethical decisions about the fruits of their labors? Then we can get somewhere.”
https://www.delish.com/food/a3017019...t-chick-fil-a/

Quote:
However, the company rapidly buckled after a pressure campaign from hate preacher Franklin Graham and anti-LGBT activists.

Graham said in November that Cathy had “personally” assured him that the company “has not bowed down to anyone’s demands, including the LGBTQ community.”

He added: “They will continue to support whoever they want to support. They haven’t changed who they are or what they believe.

“Chick-fil-A remains committed to Christian values. Dan Cathy assured me that this isn’t going to change. I hope all those who jumped to the wrong conclusion about them read this.”
https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/01/0...ion-dan-cathy/

Quote:
Here are some of the more poignant quotes from gay employees, many of whom asked to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation:

"[It's] constantly having people come up to you and say, 'I support your company, because your company hates the gays. It really takes a toll on me."

"It seems like very few people have stopped to think about who actually works for Chick-fil-A and what those people's opinions are. They are putting us in a pot and coming to support us or hate us based on something they heard and assume we agree with."

"Our managers have recommended just saying 'Thank you for your business' if a customer says they agree with Cathy’s comments, rather than agreeing or disagreeing with them. Now, anyone that works there is stuck with a stigma of being homophobic, even when many of us are far from it. At the end of the day part of our profits still go towards Dan Cathy, and subsequently, all the organizations he supports."
https://www.businessinsider.com/gay-...-lately-2012-8

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A Georgia-based chicken company donating to Christian groups that were against same-sex marriage would really have just been the political norm circa 2011 and is probably not very fringe even today.

If we are not happy with that we should probably boycott about 75% of the planet. Or at least the countries where the death penalty is still on the books.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:56 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
If we are not happy with that we should probably boycott about 75% of the planet.
If folks on SSP want to ban China then they're most of the way there anyway.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 8:52 PM

If you read the whole article(s) it shows what they are doing. It appears like you are cherry picking quotes that leverage your argument. For example, you didn't quote:

"The release didn’t outright say the biggest change to Chick-fil-A’s philanthropic giving plan: In 2020, the chain won’t give any money to charities that take anti-LGBTQ stances."

Also, I understand if the LGBTQ community wants to boycott Chick-Fil-A and thats absolutely fine, but Dan Cathey and Chick-Fil-A didn't/don't "hate" any group anymore than you "hate" Christians for believing what they believe.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 8:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Also, I understand if the LGBTQ community wants to boycott Chick-Fil-A and thats absolutely fine, but Dan Cathey and Chick-Fil-A didn't/don't "hate" any group anymore than you "hate" Christians for believing what they believe.
There isn't really an "LGBT community". Most of the people interviewed by the media are activists who are outside the norm in terms of opinion and behaviour. A lot of people who get upset about perceived LGBT issues are not LGBT and it's sort of debatable how helpful they really are. They generally were not heard from back when the real fights were happening.

The Chick-Fil-A stuff probably peaked around 2012 (search for "chow down at chick-fil-a" on YouTube and watch the music video). The US Supreme Court basically ended the same-sex marriage debate in 2015 for that country, ruling that same-sex marriage will be treated in the same way as opposite-sex marriage.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 9:12 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
If you read the whole article(s) it shows what they are doing. It appears like you are cherry picking quotes that leverage your argument. For example, you didn't quote:

"The release didn’t outright say the biggest change to Chick-fil-A’s philanthropic giving plan: In 2020, the chain won’t give any money to charities that take anti-LGBTQ stances."
I also provided quotes to support the position that Cathay and CFA probably aren't to be totally believed when they say they'll do this, at least in the long-term.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 9:25 PM

Just go to Popeyes. Its more ubiquitous in Canada anways, and they've had chicken sandwiches here well before Americans started murdering each other over them.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Just go to Popeyes. Its more ubiquitous in Canada anways, and they've had chicken sandwiches here well before Americans started murdering each other over them.

I don't know why the media in the U.S. has made such a big deal over fast-food chicken sandwiches over the last number of years.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 4:22 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
They're from Louisiana and their name is "pope" + "yes". They probably hate the gays even more.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 5:36 AM

Such an interesting discussion on which minimum wage paying, union busting chicken killer restaurant chain is the most moral and politically correct. If I have to partake, an old school KFC bucket is never a bad thing washed back with a can of Coke..

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Such an interesting discussion on which minimum wage paying, union busting chicken killer restaurant chain is the most moral and politically correct. If I have to partake, an old school KFC bucket is never a bad thing washed back with a can of Coke..
I'm not sure what your position on gay marriage is, but you're disgusting.

Actually, while we're on the topic, I kind of like Mary Brown's too.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Pepsi only if you're dealing with KFC lol

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 7:49 AM

Quote:
KFC opens up a complex web of corporate issues. Colonel Sanders after selling his company to a corporation discovered the unthinkable, they were playing with the secret seasoning to make it cheaper. Under the cover darkness the secret was brought to Canada out of the reach of the evil corporation where "correct chicken" could be done. The same for Europe. But it only lasted a few years before the evil corporation bought the non-US operations.

There is an almost accurate seasoning that be obtained under the code name Marian Kay 99-X.

Yes, it is a wild story. There is one fellow in Toronto that has gone to great length to figure out the store and reproduce the original chicken.... Details at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WJYOgzFydc

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada