HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 1:34 PM

75 PRINCE WILLIAM SOLD

Check out Huddle’s article on the Calgary investors who bought the building.
https://huddle.today/calgary-investo...fice-building/

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
75 PRINCE WILLIAM SOLD

Check out Huddle’s article on the Calgary investors who bought the building.
https://huddle.today/calgary-investo...fice-building/

I think converting some of this building into residential units is an excellent idea. Mixed use so that you don't have all of your eggs in one basket.

What I found the most interesting quote from the story:

“There is interest in investing in Saint John from people in Alberta. Diversifying away from oil and looking at some of these different cities where real estate prices are much more manageable is quite attractive.”

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:23 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I think converting some of this building into residential units is an excellent idea. Mixed use so that you don't have all of your eggs in one basket.

What I found the most interesting quote from the story:

“There is interest in investing in Saint John from people in Alberta. Diversifying away from oil and looking at some of these different cities where real estate prices are much more manageable is quite attractive.”
Right, but:

“That is all out the window. The biggest reason is the Fundy Quay [delay], not coronavirus,” says Rogerson. “We will not be building anything new if Fundy Quay stays as a parking lot. If they do go ahead with it, then yes, we would definitely still look at that.”"

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Right, but:

“That is all out the window. The biggest reason is the Fundy Quay [delay], not coronavirus,” says Rogerson. “We will not be building anything new if Fundy Quay stays as a parking lot. If they do go ahead with it, then yes, we would definitely still look at that.”"
I think Fundy Quay gets off the ground eventually. It's just too beneficial of a project to Saint John for the Govt. to let it totally die. Especially when it spurs private investment in the area. But I also think it will proceed slowly in phases over many years.
We really need outside private investment in the city.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:42 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I think Fundy Quay gets off the ground eventually. It's just too beneficial of a project to Saint John for the Govt. to let it totally die.
Based on Carr's comments yesterday it sounds like govt is willing to let SJ itself die, let alone Fundy Quay.

I don't want to be one of the naysayers but it's been a decade of us waiting on Fundy Quay. With the cruise industry absolutely decimated I can't imagine it'll get off the ground any time soon.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 2:53 PM

Fundy Quay is one of the best real estate opportunities ever presented to New Brunswick. Right on the waterfront, uptown, in close proximity to so many amenities. Reality is, cities are the future of this world and GNB has to get on board with that fact. These kinds of developments are the catalyst to economic development. Anyone been watching the Downtown Moncton thread since the Avenir Centre broke ground? It’s evidently the domino effect can happen in smaller cities too.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Based on Carr's comments yesterday it sounds like govt is willing to let SJ itself die, let alone Fundy Quay.

I don't want to be one of the naysayers but it's been a decade of us waiting on Fundy Quay. With the cruise industry absolutely decimated I can't imagine it'll get off the ground any time soon.
It's always about the money. If/when the government makes the investment, Fundy Quay will be a big incentive for private development in the area. The tax dollars from just Fundy Quay itself would obviously be better than the status quo. But like I said, "eventually" the project will get started. And I still think it will very slowly get built out. Just my humble opinion.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 12:19 AM

Does anyone have a subscription to the Telegraph journal to post the content of the article?

Investors, city officials push Province for Fundy Quay development money
https://tj.news/story/101257309?ref=tw

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 2:09 AM

The Wentworth update - the base pad for the crane is now ready for concrete pour. Trenches are all dug for utilities

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 9:10 AM

95 Wentworth

Details noted above can be seen in this picture.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 10:38 PM

Crane construction starts tomorrow and ends Friday

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 10:06 PM

95 Wentworth

Crane parts arrived today

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 7:36 PM

Update of the installation of a tower crane at 95 Wentworth

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 8:45 PM
ハルウララ

Great sight to see.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 11:44 PM
Unregistered Loser

City Begins Market Slip Dredging
Saint John, NB, Canada / Country 94
Ben Burnett
May 11, 2020 05:45 am
City Begins Market Slip Dredging
The city has partnered with Port Saint John to clean up Market Slip. Photo courtesy the City of Saint John.

The City of Saint John and Port Saint John have partnered to dredge Market Slip uptown for the first time since 2004.

The area of the boardwalk next to the volleyball court has the capacity to hold eight docks for pleasure crafts but has been below capacity the past few years due to an excess of debris and garbage.

Work is expected to carry on through the summer, allowing the city to get back to full capacity for boaters looking to dock uptown.

Councillor Gary Sullivan says the work will allow the city to regain its identity.

“Saint John, we call ourselves the Port City. But for the last two years there hasn’t been anywhere for a pleasure craft to tie up in the port,” he said.

As part of the agreement, Port Saint John will look after maintaining Market Slip for 12 years.

Although the pandemic has dulled hopes of a busy tourism season, the city anticipates that agreement means this dredging will allow for years of improved tourist attractions uptown.

“When boats go down to market slip and are around the harbour, it brings other people down (to the area),” Sullivan said.

Sullivan is a life-long boating enthusiast who is excited by the improvement to the city’s facilities. He hopes that by improving this piece of uptown Saint John, the surrounding areas stand to benefit as well.

“It’s one more facility that helps enhance our port, it helps enhance Harbour Passage. There’s one more reason for people to support Fundy Quay,” Sullivan said. “It’s an important piece of our puzzle.”

A temporary access road has been constructed at the volleyball court area to allow trucks to transport the material for disposal. The courts will be restored once work is completed.

The area is expected to be fully functional for small boat docking in July.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:18 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I'd love ro see a picture of it on the skyline.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 8:48 PM

The Wentworth -the crane is up and construction for underground utilities is rapidly progressing.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 9:02 PM

The Telegraph - rebar and concrete work has begun. Curious as to whether or not we will see a tower crane on this site

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 10:00 PM

Renderings for a new 29 unit apartment building on Lower Cove Loop have been released for next week's PAC Meeting. The building is 6 stories high, with both above and underground parking.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 10:47 PM

There is now a tower crane on the site of The Telegraph. This makes 2 tower cranes on the uptown skyline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces