HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
If you haven't played crokinole you're not Canadian.

Mary Browns chicken is bland. The opposite of Popeyes. Maybe Canada needs a proper Newfie fast food chain serving fast food versions of Newfoundland cuisine?
I've never played crokinole, I'm more into strategy board games where you have to use your brain.

Popeyes or Jollibee spicy chicken is indeed the opposite of bland. I was thinking Mary Browns would be like Chesters Fried Chicken, there's only a handful of Chesters in Saskatchewan that I know of but tend not to eat there when there's other options.

Newfie fast food chain where you kiss a fish upon entering and where they serve flipper fin soup?
...I'll pass.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 5:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Do people outside Ontario play crokinole? To me it’s a very SWOntario thing.
There is a similar game in Quebec called pichenotte or pichenette.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 6:05 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Do people outside Ontario play crokinole? To me it’s a very SWOntario thing.
My extended family in Saskatchewan always played crokinole. I'm not sure if that came by way of central Canadian roots a few generations back or not. I always thought of it as a very Prairie game, but maybe those of Ukrainian or Mennonite heritage would think differently (perhaps someone here can comment on that?)

On the other hand, everyone in Ontario seems to play Euchre, while here Kaiser is the similar game found in the same niche, appearing in the same sorts of family gatherings as Crokinole.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 6:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I sense a Great Canadian Card and Board Game thread coming soon!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 6:59 PM
recession proof

I'd forgotten about euchre - very '80s small town Ontario game.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
My extended family in Saskatchewan always played crokinole. I'm not sure if that came by way of central Canadian roots a few generations back or not. I always thought of it as a very Prairie game, but maybe those of Ukrainian or Mennonite heritage would think differently (perhaps someone here can comment on that?)
Prairie Polish-Ukrainian person here. I have heard of crokinole but I don't ever recall seeing anyone in my extended family playing it. I remember seeing people having boards out at the lake, but I never remember seeing anyone actually playing.

Thinking back to when I was a kid back in the 80s, cribbage was the undisputed king of "grown-up" games (at least ones that required anything more than just a deck of cards) in the family although my parents weren't into it at all.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 7:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I remember seeing people having boards out at the lake, but I never remember seeing anyone actually playing.
Older Quebec/Ontario relatives had this game. In French it's croquignole. It's an obscure example of a name I learned in French but not really in English one even though I spend 99% of my time now speaking English.

It's phonetically closer but reminds me of French loanwords in English that I didn't recognize at all when I was young like "debut" ("dei-byoo" vs. French pronunciation sounding different enough to me that it took a long time to notice they were supposed to be the same).

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 7:58 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
I'm a Russian Mennonite from Ontario who lived in Winnipeg for six years. I never saw crokinole anywhere on the prairies. I grew up assuming it was a Mennonite game, but in actual fact it was invented in southwestern Ontario by a German immigrant.

Quote:
The earliest known crokinole board to date was built by Eckhardt Wettlaufer of Sebastopol, Ontario, Canada (near Tavistock) as a fifth birthday gift for his son, Adam, who was born on December 31, 1871.

https://www.worldcrokinole.com/history.html
Of course, it's not like crokinole is astoundingly innovative or unprecedened. It's really just a variation on similar games that have been played throughout the world for millennia.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 8:10 PM

This talk of crokinole and euchre is reminding me of Rummoli, which I think is also a game of Canadian origin. It’s a long time since I’ve heard of anyone actually playing it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada