HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 6:32 PM

Jews made up a very high percentage of the college-educated population from the 1930s to 1960s, before the mass expansion of higher education. They probably represented half the college-educated population in NYC in 1960. Most accountants, dentists, pharmacists, social workers and teachers the time would have been Jewish. However there were still discrimination in elite professions then, such as Wall St. law firms.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowolter View Post
The Jewish population in Vancouver is much smaller, more assimilated, and not as geographically concentrated compared to Toronto and Montreal and major Northeast US cities. Still, there is a concentration on the city's West Side, particularly near Oak Street, in the Shaughnessy, South Cambie and Oakridge areas, which is where most Jewish institutions are located.
List of synagogues in Vancouver area

My website
Shaughnessy-South Cambie is 7% Jewish by religion. Oakridge is 5%. Only a small percentage of Vancouver Jews live in this Oak St. area, but it's the only area where there's really a visible Jewish community and the closest it has to an enclave.

Last edited by Docere; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 6:26 PM

I've heard estimates that Mercer Island is 25% Jewish but I find that difficult to believe looking at the ancestry profile (just your standard German-Irish-English-American-Scandinavian you'd expect in Seattle).

https://statisticalatlas.com/place/W...sland/Ancestry

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 12:50 AM

Roughly 8% of NYC K-12 students are enrolled in Yeshivas or Jewish Day Schools. In Rockland County, over 40% of K-12 students are enrolled in Yeshivas or Jewish Day Schools. In Lakewood, NJ, the share will be considerably higher.

The Hasidic K-12 population is roughly doubling every 15-20 years or so. Much of that growth will likely be in Lakewood and Orange County (NY), though Brooklyn will still have, by far, the largest share. Rockland seems to be slowing down too in favor of neighboring, more affordable, Orange.

If the tri-state yeshivas were a unified school district, they would be 6th or 7th largest district in the U.S., behind only NYC, LA, Chicago, and the county systems in Miami (Dade), Vegas (Clark) and maybe Fort Lauderdale (Broward).

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 6:24 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

btw after recently adding the two major eid muslim holidays and chinese new year the nyc schools will very likely be adding diwali next year. hindu kids holla!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 9:23 PM

Jewish-majority places in NA:

Great Neck NY
Five Towns NY
Lakewood NJ
Beverly Hills CA
Beachwood OH (maybe)
Cote St. Luc QC
Hampstead QC

Plus the Hasidic enclaves of Kiryas Joel and the Town of Palm Tree NY.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 12:00 AM

I think Teaneck, Deal and Livingston, NJ are probably majority Jewish. Teaneck is very fast-growing as of late, with rapid demographic turnover and increasingly strict Orthodox. Deal is an enclave of SY Jews (an outpost of the Brooklyn community along Ocean Parkway) and Livingston is a "traditional" affluent suburb of more secular Jews.

On the NY side, there are Hasidic enclaves in Rockland/Orange like Monsey and New Square. On LI, West Hempstead (more like Teaneck-Orthodox) and Jericho (more like Livingston-affluent secular) are probably majority Jewish. Armonk, in Westchester, is another possibility.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 3:35 AM

Teaneck is only 45% white.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 7:37 PM

Jewish population of London map:

SOURCE:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_London

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 7:10 PM

Almost all north of the Thames. I guess this is based on the British equivalent of Census Tracts?

Outside the US and Israel, I think Paris has the largest Jewish population, then London and Toronto about the same.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 7:49 PM

Paris received very large Jewish numbers in the post-colonial/Islamic state era. The Jewish communities in North Africa and non-Israel ME are mostly gone, and large numbers left for Paris region.

Wikipedia has France with more Sephardic Jews than the U.S. Not sure if this is still accurate, but, in any case, it's a very large Sephardic community (second or third largest on earth).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 7:59 PM

Israel has about 500,000 Moroccan Jews. After the FSU, Morocco is the most common country of birth for the foreign born. Most of the rest went to France and Canada (mainly Montreal, but some in Toronto too). I don't know of any Moroccan Jewish concentration in the US, though maybe there are pockets in the New York area.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 8:11 PM

There's a synagogue on Ocean Parkway that has a Moroccan Jewish congregation. But I think it's a small community. The larger neighborhood is more Syrian and Egyptian Jewish.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 4:27 PM

What explains the trend, it seems like, that many non-Ashkenazi Jewish communities tend to co-locate in time and place alongside others (non-Jewish) of their country of origin (e.g. Moroccan Jewish communities exist where there's overall a Moroccan community in say France, and Persian Jews in LA live alongside Persians).

But this doesn't happen, or didn't happen, with past Ashkenazi Jewish waves of migration (e.g. Polish Jews timed with the emigration of Poles, German Jews at the time of mass emigration of Germans didn't spatially live together after becoming citizens of the new country, like the US).

Was it because tensions from the "old country" or recent memories from past persecution were greater then back in the day (prior to modern Israel existing and being an immigration destination itself), and refugees would feel more awkward about living with those from back in the old country, though Mizrahi and Sephardic Jews in diaspora also live alongside gentile Spaniards, Portuguese and Arab emigrants in the New World and I haven't heard (at least in English speaking media) about tensions between them at least in the New World vs. the Old?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
What explains the trend, it seems like, that many non-Ashkenazi Jewish communities tend to co-locate in time and place alongside others (non-Jewish) of their country of origin (e.g. Moroccan Jewish communities exist where there's overall a Moroccan community in say France, and Persian Jews in LA live alongside Persians).

But this doesn't happen, or didn't happen, with past Ashkenazi Jewish waves of migration (e.g. Polish Jews timed with the emigration of Poles, German Jews at the time of mass emigration of Germans didn't spatially live together after becoming citizens of the new country, like the US).

Was it because tensions from the "old country" or recent memories from past persecution were greater then back in the day (prior to modern Israel existing and being an immigration destination itself), and refugees would feel more awkward about living with those from back in the old country, though Mizrahi and Sephardic Jews in diaspora also live alongside gentile Spaniards, Portuguese and Arab emigrants in the New World and I haven't heard (at least in English speaking media) about tensions between them at least in the New World vs. the Old?
I disagree with that assessment. Jewish immigrants tend to settle in areas that already had an existing Jewish presence.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 5:11 PM

Yeah, it seems that way. They use the existing infrastructure and cultural networks. The Sephardic populations in the NYC area replaced Ashkenazi Jewish populations that were assimilating/moving to the suburbs.

Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn has been Jewish for about a century, but its demographics have changed quite a bit over time. The West Bronx would probably still be Jewish if Israel hadn't been established, and/or if Paris wasn't a postwar destination. But it would be a very different population than in 1950.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 5:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I think most Sephardim moved to areas that had Jewish populations (preferably but not necessarily Sephardim) and where they already spoke the language. The Sephardim tend to speak Spanish and-or French. In fact, most of the Sephardim I've known or known of here in Canada had Spanish-sounding surnames, but tended to speak a bit more French than Spanish. (Perhaps a bit of selection bias at play there, though.)

I may be totally off-base but I doubt the Sephardim purposefully settle in close proximity to other people from Morocco or North Africa (who tend to be Muslims) simply because of their region of origin.

Though they may rub shoulders with each other in businesses here that offer products or a taste of the old country.

You also see the same thing going on with Christians and Muslims from North Africa and the Middle East. They don't really share a community per se but they often patronize each other's businesses for certain ethno-specific reasons.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 5:28 PM

The Moroccan Jewish immigration to Montreal also occurred mostly in the 1960s and 1970s, a generation earlier than most North African Muslims.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 5:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
The Moroccan Jewish immigration to Montreal also occurred mostly in the 1960s and 1970s, a generation earlier than most North African Muslims.
I know the Sephardim began arriving as early as the 1950s, though I'd put the perceptible boom in their population a tad later than the 1960s-70s. Though I am not an authority on the subject. Just my impressions.

Or maybe it's just how things appeared given that the biggest segment of the community (secular Ashkenazis) was stagnating or declining around the same time.

Of course, the Hasidim's numbers have grown fairly prodigiously, though that is not due to in-migration, but rather to birth rates.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 5:49 PM

According to this report, about 25% of Montreal Jews are Sephardim. The main Jewish suburbs of CSL and Hampstead are about average. It's lower in Westmount (an English-speaking dominated community with a population of wealthy more long established Canadian Jews) and lowest in Outremont (mostly Hasidim). It's higher in more mixed anglophone/francophone communities.

https://www.jewishdatabank.org/conte...%20English.pdf

Last edited by Docere; Jan 5, 2021 at 6:04 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions