HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 7:06 PM

Are those loading bay doors I see in the second rendering? On SGR? Surely not.

I have mixed feelings about this. I am not as in love with the BMO building as many others are. But I don't particularly like this design.

Last edited by Keith P.; Jul 5, 2015 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Too bad. From what I can tell in the renderings it looks great. If it were going up on a parking lot or if there were a good plan in place to preserve most of the heritage value of the existing buildings it would be an excellent proposal.

Maybe the developer could at least pack up the sandstone facade of the BMO building and use it somewhere else?
Looks okay to me. Agreed that there is some nice stock that is being lost (and some not so nice). There seems to be an interesting play with line on the Queen Street elevation as well. Intriguing.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Are those loading bay doors I see in the second rendering? On SGR? Surely not.

I have mixed feelings about thos. I am not as in love with the BMO building as many others are. But I don't particularly like this design.
Do you mean the louvers below the rooftop open greenspace? That appears to be Doyle Street. Looking east down Doyle to the left and south down Queen to the right. You can see the library in the background for orientation.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Do you mean the louvers below the rooftop open greenspace? That appears to be Doyle Street. Looking east down Doyle to the left and south down Queen to the right. You can see the library in the background for orientation.
I think you're right, which means, if I'm not mistaken, that there is no depiction of the SGR frontage. That's weird, isn't it?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 8:04 PM

I would have much rather have this be a development long queen street by the library in the empty lots. seems like something that would be better suited for that space to me anyways, I would probably have zero complaints with it if it went in there

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
I would have much rather have this be a development long queen street by the library in the empty lots. seems like something that would be better suited for that space to me anyways, I would probably have zero complaints with it if it went in there
I would be totally thrilled to see it go there. I bet it could go taller in that location as well, and this block could be spiffed up into some fairly high-end, boutique retail thing. Think of it: "The Doyle Block," with retro marketing playing off the deco elements of the BMO building. I'm really surprised Chedrawe doesn't see potential in the buildings on site.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 9:32 AM

Quite impressed with this design. If this is to be a hotel it appears there might be balcony space, how fabulous to be able to interact with SGR from your suite.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I think you're right, which means, if I'm not mistaken, that there is no depiction of the SGR frontage. That's weird, isn't it?
It is weird.

Although based on the rendering and design, it seems like the frontage on SGR would be quite similar to that on Queen; seems the design just wraps around, with street level retail spacing on either side.

Makes sense to have the parking garage entrance and other crap out back on Doyle, with a nicer street front on Queen/SGR.

Also funny: why does it look like someone has spray painted "CUK" onto the parking garage doors on the Doyle side rendering? Come on guys, clean that up a bit.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Also funny: why does it look like someone has spray painted "CUK" onto the parking garage doors on the Doyle side rendering? Come on guys, clean that up a bit.
I thought it said "OUT".

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 8:43 PM

that whole side of the building looks like it's perfect for graffiti

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I thought it said "OUT".
I thought it said "OUT" too. And on second perusal Keith, I think you may be right about SGR. In the "aerial" render, looking down into (one of) the green spaces, it appears that we are looking at the SGR/Brunswick corner. The massing of the building across the street in this view is definitely the old Memorial Library building. It seems that perhaps the building is mirror-image from Doyle to SGR?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 11:49 PM

NOPE. SGR side is not at all in any of these renderings they are all of the Doyle and queeen st side

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I thought it said "OUT" too. And on second perusal Keith, I think you may be right about SGR. In the "aerial" render, looking down into (one of) the green spaces, it appears that we are looking at the SGR/Brunswick corner. The massing of the building across the street in this view is definitely the old Memorial Library building. It seems that perhaps the building is mirror-image from Doyle to SGR?
IMHO the second view is of the corner of Spring Garden and Brunswick...... unless the developer is planning on picking up the Memorial Library building and moving it to a new location, that is the only view it can be.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualman57 View Post
IMHO the second view is of the corner of Spring Garden and Brunswick.
No it's not. it's just a placement building in the renderings that doesn't represent the area. You guys are silly

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:17 AM

Quote:
I thought it said "OUT".
I know, I was kidding. Just, the way it's painted on there in the rendering just looks odd, like bad graffiti.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:58 AM

Can't say I'm a fan, really. Might be a nice project for another location, but not that block. Just my opinion but without a step back it looks like it will overwhelm the location.

Of course I'd still like to see the existing BMO building incorporated, but I know it's not going to happen.

More boxes for Halifax... soon we'll look like every other Canadian city - 20 years ago.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
More boxes for Halifax... soon we'll look like every other Canadian city - 20 years ago.
Instead of looking like every Canadian city did 50 years ago, as we now tend to.

Honestly though, from what I have seen so far, I am not a fan of this proposal.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Instead of looking like every Canadian city did 50 years ago, as we now tend to.

The BMO building doesn't look like "every other" city though--it's marriage of deco architecture and Maritime-inspired decorative reliefs is pretty unique.

As for the buildings on the other side of the block, we have very, very, very few like that. Since the ones on Cornwallis Park burned down, there's basically nothing else like them.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 2:26 PM

Quote:

I can always count on you for a snappy remark, Keith!

Really what I meant is that we always seem to be a little slow in catching on. While other places have learned to value their limited supply of heritage buildings with their unique features (as Drybrain alludes to), we are still in the mode of tearing 'em down to put up a new shiny box. So I guess you're right in that sense that we are still doing things like they did 50 years ago.

As mentioned, that project would be fine on one of our many empty lots, but not in such a prominent location. Incorporating the existing building would allow variety and contrast to the area, which I think SGR needs.

Again, just my 2¢... err 5¢ to keep it Canadian, since 2¢ now only exists as a concept in the digital world.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post

As mentioned, that project would be fine on one of our many empty lots, but not in such a prominent location. Incorporating the existing building would allow variety and contrast to the area, which I think SGR needs.
People are often heard to excuse the demolition of old buildings by saying we need a "balance" heritage and modernity--well, besides the fact that our local balance is tipping too far against heritage, right now this stretch of SGR is perfectly balanced: the extremely modern library on one side of the street, and this row of distinct historical structures on the other side. The reflection of the BMO building in the glass of the library is a fantastic visual merging of old and new. Too bad to see it obliterated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth