HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevencourchene View Post
I love dexel!!! they do great designs and I hope they get approved for all they want because it will only better our city.

the only top think I wish a developer should include in their condos/apartments more would be pools.

GO DEXEL GO!!!!!

reach for the stars and build UP!
You're cool with them tearing down registered heritage buildings on Barrington Street to make way for whatever it is they have planned?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 2:18 PM

Not sure who the developer is, but it looks as if the lot in the link below at the corner of Young and Barrington is going to get some attention. 11 or 12 floors above Barrington, 115 units.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.66493...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
Not sure who the developer is, but it looks as if the lot in the link below at the corner of Young and Barrington is going to get some attention. 11 or 12 floors above Barrington, 115 units.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.66493...7i13312!8i6656
Excellent!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 10:32 PM

Dexel launched a public engagement campaign for what they are calling Spring Garden West. More info here: http://www.livewellonsgw.com/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 11:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Dexel launched a public engagement campaign for what they are calling Spring Garden West. More info here: http://www.livewellonsgw.com/
This was rumoured to be around 30 storeys, although there is a history of buildings like this being cut down before they are approved.

In the satellite photo of the site you can see just how large the interior of this block is, and how poor the land use is for what could be a prominent commercial area. It might not happen because of some of the residential and institutional uses along the way, but it would be great if someday the commercial part of Spring Garden went all the way from Grafton to Robie.

There are also a couple of developments planned across the street that will complement this one. The ground floor of the Garden Crest condos where Saege used to be is going to be built out more and a new tower is proposed for the space in behind the older grey apartment tower.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 11:41 PM

Interesting quote from Spring Garden West;

"Dexel owns three Halifax Heritage designated buildings along Carlton Street starting at the corner with Spring Garden Road with civic addresses 1494, 1484/1480 & 1478.

The proposed Spring Garden West development intends to maintain the original foot print portions of these buildings and keep them completely disengaged from the new building volume. Interior renovations for residential and/or commercial use will include new landscaping, electrical & mechanical systems. Working in collaboration with Heritage groups, Dexel intends to keep the residential character of the facades and to renovate or restore them taking into consideration input from the voluntary public engagement process."

This is definitely good news for maintaining the heritage value of Carlton Street's historic streetscape.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Interesting quote from Spring Garden West;

"Dexel owns three Halifax Heritage designated buildings along Carlton Street starting at the corner with Spring Garden Road with civic addresses 1494, 1484/1480 & 1478.

The proposed Spring Garden West development intends to maintain the original foot print portions of these buildings and keep them completely disengaged from the new building volume. Interior renovations for residential and/or commercial use will include new landscaping, electrical & mechanical systems. Working in collaboration with Heritage groups, Dexel intends to keep the residential character of the facades and to renovate or restore them taking into consideration input from the voluntary public engagement process."

This is definitely good news for maintaining the heritage value of Carlton Street's historic streetscape.
That's definitely good, but that is basically what they're obliged to do by the heritage designation. The buildable area on this lot is so huge, I'd really like to see the Coburg Apartments at the corner restored, along with the Victorian townhouse row in the middle of the block. The rest of the block is demolishable, IMO, but those two are gems waiting to be spiffed up.

At this point I'm practically resigned to disappointment though.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
That's definitely good, but that is basically what they're obliged to do by the heritage designation.
That's true, but it's nice to see them embracing it rather than trying to find some way around it, as a lot of developers do. It would be nice if more projects involving heritage structures would go that way.

And... it would be nice if our city recognized more structures as being suitable for heritage designation, as discussed ad nauseam. The buildings you mentioned would be included in this, IMHO.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 7:00 PM

maintaining the footprint portion, sound like they raze the building and put something on the outline of the foundation. This is a Registered Historic Streetscape!
The loss of the Dairy Deli building and the wooden apartment building on Spring Garden is really too bad.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
maintaining the footprint portion, sound like they raze the building and put something on the outline of the foundation. This is a Registered Historic Streetscape!
The loss of the Dairy Deli building and the wooden apartment building on Spring Garden is really too bad.
This part leads me to believe that they plan to preserve the outer shell at least and upgrade the mechanical and electrical plus renovate to suit its future purpose, be it residential or commercial:

Quote:
Working in collaboration with Heritage groups, Dexel intends to keep the residential character of the facades and to renovate or restore them taking into consideration input from the voluntary public engagement process.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 8:44 PM

Yeah, "maintain the original footprint portions of these buildings" to me sounds like they intend to retain everything currently built on the original footprints, i.e., the heritage buildings.

(Maybe there are some later additions they'll knock down).

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
This part leads me to believe that they plan to preserve the outer shell at least and upgrade the mechanical and electrical plus renovate to suit its future purpose, be it residential or commercial:
I agree, Mark.

Everyone here is so utterly depressed about The Doyle they're being too negative about some obvious efforts at compromise here by Dexel.

Come on guys, geez.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
I agree, Mark.

Everyone here is so utterly depressed about The Doyle they're being too negative about some obvious efforts at compromise here by Dexel.

Come on guys, geez.
I tihnk it's important not to frame it as a compromise by Dexel, though. We shouldn't be grateful to development companies for preserving registered heritage buildings; it should just be expected as part of decent, responsible development practice. Unfortunately demolitions are common enough in Halifax that a developer who plans isn't trying to knock stuff down practically looks like a philanthropist.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 4:24 PM

Quote:
I tihnk it's important not to frame it as a compromise by Dexel, though. We shouldn't be grateful to development companies for preserving registered heritage buildings; it should just be expected as part of decent, responsible development practice. Unfortunately demolitions are common enough in Halifax that a developer who plans isn't trying to knock stuff down practically looks like a philanthropist.
Hey man, you gotta take victories when they come around, even if they are scarce.

Truthfully, I'm not framing it as a compromise by Dexel, but rather an "atta-boy" for doing the right thing and not trying to find some way around the heritage rules, rather than what it appears they might be trying to do on Barrington. Hopefully it turns out for the good.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 6:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Yeah, "maintain the original footprint portions of these buildings" to me sounds like they intend to retain everything currently built on the original footprints, i.e., the heritage buildings.

(Maybe there are some later additions they'll knock down).
I read that as being about retaining the heritage buildings but not the original lots and rear/side setbacks. Just have to wait and see what the actual proposal is I guess.

I wonder if the public consultation sessions are real, i.e. are actually being used to gauge public opinion and influence the design of the development in significant ways. If the developer has really bought into this then there is a big opportunity to engage them early on and come to a much better result. As far as I know this never happened with the Doyle Block.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 3:15 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Apparently Starbucks is leaving the Westwood-owned building at Spring Garden and Queen, and there's a plan to redevelop that lot into an 8 storey mixed use building after the Doyle Block is completed.

(Also the new Starbucks location might have a liquor license.)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Apparently Starbucks is leaving the Westwood-owned building at Spring Garden and Queen, and there's a plan to redevelop that lot into an 8 storey mixed use building after the Doyle Block is completed.

Well here we go again... I hope even with an eight storey structure that Westwood will leave the Starbucks portion of the building and build behind, but there really isn't a lot of room so I won't be too optimistic. I also can't realistically see keeping the facade and building on top either. In just a few years this whole intersection will lose any character it had.

What ever happened to this proposal?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

Oooooh nooooo! Think of the children!?!

What about the view from the library! IT IS THE END OF DAYS

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 1:45 PM

Great. What do you want to bet they'll also tear down the Dugger's building, and maybe even Mills? (There was talk in the past of Westwood and Mickey MacDonald, another basket-case of a developer, collaborating here.)

How did just a couple of guys come to own half the goddamn street to remake according to their own shitty vision? It's a bit of a disaster, actually.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Great. What do you want to bet they'll also tear down the Dugger's building, and maybe even Mills? (There was talk in the past of Westwood and Mickey MacDonald, another basket-case of a developer, collaborating here.)

How did just a couple of guys come to own half the goddamn street to remake according to their own shitty vision? It's a bit of a disaster, actually.

I'm not even going to bother commenting on this - I'll spare you all the grief on this one...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth