HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 6:32 PM

Also, there is a 5-6 story building going up near Broad and Girard that I don't ever recall seeing a in a rendering. Anyone have any specifics on this project? They are erecting steel now.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 7:30 PM

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 8:18 PM

Councilman Kenyatta Johnson pushes ban on bay windows, seen as a symbol of gentrification, in his South Philly district
https://www.philly.com/real-estate/h...-20190528.html

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 8:26 PM

"A worker removes a 1965 Ford Mustang from the tracks of the Subway, after a young woman accidentally entered the Subway Surface Tunnel entrance at 40th. Street in Philadelphia (December 14th 1965)"

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 11:25 PM
Brooklyn/Philly/Nashvegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

"A worker removes a 1965 Ford Mustang from the tracks of the Subway, after a young woman accidentally entered the Subway Surface Tunnel entrance at 40th. Street in Philadelphia (December 14th 1965)"
Love that!

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 11:44 PM
Show me the blueprints

So great.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Some retail coming to 20th and Market. Nice to see. That area is a deadzone and this should help liven it up.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

That's awesome!

Hopefully there will be a spark soon in that area that can stretch from the Dunkin on 21st all the way down to Aramark.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Councilman Kenyatta Johnson pushes ban on bay windows, seen as a symbol of gentrification, in his South Philly district
https://www.philly.com/real-estate/h...-20190528.html
In totally unrelated news, I am tired of it raining all the time. I think I will ban umbrellas so it stops. Seriously...this is completely stupid. I hate to break it to you, Kenyatta, but people are not going to stop building in Point Breeze because you have banned bay windows. In the disheartening event that this passes, developers will figure it out and comply with the law.

I guess his thought is that gentrification will be less noticeable, and he'll be able to pretend he's doing something to address housing affordability for constituents. But I really hope people are not this stupid and realize that the buildings are all still being built even if less obtrusive and sticking out less. This is definitely the equivalent of saying we are going to ban umbrellas to stop it from raining.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 7:20 AM

It's more like trying to ban rain or the shape of raindrops it's so stupid

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 12:25 PM

New Navy Yard lab-and-office complex planned for Calif. cell-therapy research firm Iovance

https://www.philly.com/news/iovance-...-20190529.html

Quote:
Cancer-therapy firm Iovance Biotherapeutics Inc. plans to open a sprawling office and laboratory complex in South Philadelphia’s Navy Yard complex, adding to the city’s growing clout as a biotechnology research-and-development hub.

Iovance, which specializes in the development and commercialization of cancer immunotherapies using cells known as tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes, will occupy a three-story, 136,000-square-foot building that will span about a block of the Navy Yard’s core business and research park.

The San Carlos, Calif.-based firm joins current Navy Yard occupants Adaptimmune Therapeutics PLC and WuXi AppTec Co., as well as Spark Therapeutics Inc. in University City, in selecting Philadelphia to develop and manufacture high-tech therapies for what have been mostly irremediable conditions.

Iovance president and chief executive Maria Fardis said in an interview ahead of a planned Wednesday morning announcement that Philadelphia was selected for the project in part because of its deep talent pool, fed by institutions such as the University of Pennsylvania.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
In totally unrelated news, I am tired of it raining all the time. I think I will ban umbrellas so it stops. Seriously...this is completely stupid. I hate to break it to you, Kenyatta, but people are not going to stop building in Point Breeze because you have banned bay windows. In the disheartening event that this passes, developers will figure it out and comply with the law.

I guess his thought is that gentrification will be less noticeable, and he'll be able to pretend he's doing something to address housing affordability for constituents. But I really hope people are not this stupid and realize that the buildings are all still being built even if less obtrusive and sticking out less. This is definitely the equivalent of saying we are going to ban umbrellas to stop it from raining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
It's more like trying to ban rain or the shape of raindrops it's so stupid
Did either of you read the article? Johnson is awful and needs to go, but I believe his stance here has merit, even if you disagree with it.

Quote:
“Some developers are putting bay windows past the property line [and] encroaching on the sidewalk/streets space. This practice is inconsistent with the character of many of South Philadelphia’s historic rowhouse blocks, so the legislation is designed to ensure the historical preservation of the facades and character of the residential blocks.”
The Inquirer is pulling in the gentrification angle because it wants the clicks.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Did either of you read the article? Johnson is awful and needs to go, but I believe his stance here has merit, even if you disagree with it.

The Inquirer is pulling in the gentrification angle because it wants the clicks.
I read the article. His stance doesn't have merit. He's trying to do this as an anti-gentrification measure. Or to present as one to constituents to curry favor. Attacking the hallmarks of new construction rather than actually doing something to facilitate affordable housing or minimize displacement. His half-baked reasons for the proposal are pretextual and clearly so, and he barely even tries to concoct any. I would not agree with controlling neighborhood aesthetics through zoning either, even though I think much of the new construction we are sitting is shiteous, but that's not what this is. It's not possible to look at his record and past and current statements and conclude otherwise. This proposal should not be looked at in a vacuum.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
New Navy Yard lab-and-office complex planned for Calif. cell-therapy research firm Iovance

https://www.philly.com/news/iovance-...-20190529.html
This was the development announced a week or so ago, but awesome news that more biotech's continue to plan their roots in Philly.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 3:20 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
This was the development announced a week or so ago, but awesome news that more biotech's continue to plan their roots in Philly.
This is a big deal. Navy Yard is killing it with the suburban park like business setting. 20 year lease is very good. This area should grow in biotech. It is really where the future of therapeutic treatment for serious diseases.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 7:51 PM

In South Philly, Vietnamese shopping plaza will become 44-unit housing development

https://philly.curbed.com/2019/5/29/...ent-washington

Quote:
More change is coming to the properties surrounding Washington Avenue—this time in the form of a new housing project that’s taking the place of a Vietnamese grocery store.

The project at 1600 Carpenter Street calls for 44 total homes, including 22 attached single-family structures, five two-family structures, and two six-family structures, according to plans for the project posted online ahead of the Civic Design Review (CDR) next week.

Led by local development group, Streamline, the project will take up 35,300 square feet of space at the corner of 16th and Carpenter. That lot stretches halfway down 16th toward Washington Avenue and is currently home to the Hoa Binh shopping plaza, which has been there for 30 years.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I read the article. His stance doesn't have merit. He's trying to do this as an anti-gentrification measure. Or to present as one to constituents to curry favor. Attacking the hallmarks of new construction rather than actually doing something to facilitate affordable housing or minimize displacement. His half-baked reasons for the proposal are pretextual and clearly so, and he barely even tries to concoct any. I would not agree with controlling neighborhood aesthetics through zoning either, even though I think much of the new construction we are sitting is shiteous, but that's not what this is. It's not possible to look at his record and past and current statements and conclude otherwise. This proposal should not be looked at in a vacuum.
+1

This is a rouse to appear like he's fighting for his base. This guy is what's wrong with local politics. Once he and Clarke are shown the door (someday), we will have a chance. If they were replaced with forward thinkers, this town could finally see the rapid improvements these two yuks have suppressed for all these years. Blackwell's ouster was a great start, even though her seat was stolen from her by developers.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 1:27 PM
Future World Dictator

In Fairmount/Francisville news, Stone's Beverage at 17th and Fairmount had some development permits pulled a few months ago but it's recently under new ownership so I suspect that the redevelopment plans fell through. There's a demo permit posted at the Peanut Gallery building at 18th and Fairmount, though. Interesting building so I'll be sad to see it demolished but not a huge loss.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
In South Philly, Vietnamese shopping plaza will become 44-unit housing development

https://philly.curbed.com/2019/5/29/...ent-washington
Am I missing something here? They still haven't figured out the property that actually faces Washington Ave on this lot, right? I have little issue with the design of this, but am sad to see retail go away when that stretch needs more of amenities than housing. If they could do both (ala Lincoln Square) that would be ideal, but replacing a unique grocery store (as well as multiple other stores) with just townhouses is disappointing.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Am I missing something here? They still haven't figured out the property that actually faces Washington Ave on this lot, right? I have little issue with the design of this, but am sad to see retail go away when that stretch needs more of amenities than housing. If they could do both (ala Lincoln Square) that would be ideal, but replacing a unique grocery store (as well as multiple other stores) with just townhouses is disappointing.
The front part of that lot is owned by a different party, that's what the spite fence in the middle of the parking lot is about. They tried to get it rezoned a few years ago but the owner of the grocery store was ultimately successful in blocking it, hence the spite fence.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 4:33 PM

Lmao, I just noticed that the CDR submission for 1600 Carpenter has the SEPTA logos the wrong way. How do you get that wrong? It's an S.

https://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/p...DR_reduced.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development