HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 9:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Spec poll so far....

The provincial government is giving Hamilton $48 million to be used for capital projects in the city. (It can't be used for operating expenses.) How should the money be spent?

Infrastructure, roads etc. (50.00 %)
Public transit. (9.27 %)
Downtown core. (23.39 %)
Waterfront. (4.84 %)

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 10:46 PM
Hammer'd

Ah, now it looks more like the usual spec poll.

Gotta fix all those suburban roads that have been destroyed by people driving vehicles that are way too large.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 11:49 PM

No. The roads across the city are terrible in many spots.

Even the Linc is slowly starting to fall apart.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 11:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

They better damn well take $3 million to cover the limestone for City Hall.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 12:13 AM

The roads across the city are in great shape and very driveable at the posted speed limit. Roads in Toronto are way worse and that city is thriving.

Infrastructure like sewage and water systems need to be fixed in the downtown before LRT track gets laid down.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 12:16 AM

First thing on the 'to-do' list should be to correct the sewage problems in the city's east end. Continuous neglect has left these homeowners with annual basement flooding and cancelled insurance policies. Monies beyond that should go to other deferred capital infrastructure like road repair. Wilson and Barton East both come to mind. Sewage repair and roadwork are intertwined and should be conducted accordingly.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 12:27 AM

As of around 8:30pm on Tuesday

Infrastructure, roads etc. (43.95 %)
Public transit. (10.26 %)
Downtown core. (32.37 %)
Waterfront. (5.26 %)

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
The roads across the city are in great shape and very driveable at the posted speed limit. Roads in Toronto are way worse and that city is thriving.

Infrastructure like sewage and water systems need to be fixed in the downtown before LRT track gets laid down.
Agreed, if you do 50kmh on King, Main, or any other street in the lower city the roads are not bad.

Try Kingston Road in Toronto if you want a bad strip of asphalt.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 1:18 AM
It's Hammer Time

Remember there's a bunch of road resurfacing for downtown Hamilton, thanks to a seperate money, around $10 million, from Premier McGuinty.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 4:41 AM

When I hear Hamiltonians complain about traffic congestion and poor road conditions I shudder to think how they will respond to any significant downtown revitalization. Can you imagine the outcries when 5 minutes or 10 minutes is added onto downtown travel time? I spent 1 HOUR getting from around Maple Leaf Gardens to the Gardiner cutoff at Lakeshore West earlier this week. Sure its an inconvenience, but its the price to be paid for traveling through an urban centre. Going 60km/h (or oftentimes 80km/h) through downtown is a uniquely Hamiltonian experience (hopefully not for long). And forget about Toronto, take our neighbour Burlington, you can't go more than 40km/h through their downtown..

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 11:03 AM
It's Hammer Time

The $48-million question
How councillors would like it spent

August 27, 2008
Nicole Macintyre
The Hamilton Spectator

There's $48 million burning a hole in Hamilton's pocket.

The province handed over the cash this week. It can be used for any capital project.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger has already stated he'd like to use the funds to catch up on hard services, such as roads, sewer and water. The Spectator asked councillors to list their spending priorities.

Here's the edited responses from councillors who replied.

Brian McHattie

I'd like to see the funding go to bike lanes and pedestrian improvements, including the Locke Street pedestrian bridge. Also parks and recreation facilities, such as completion of the Victoria Park Master Plan, new soccer facilities at Churchill Park, upgrades to Ryerson and Dalewood recreation facilities and fix the tennis courts at Westdale High School. Plus more affordable housing and fix local streets.

Bob Bratina

A number of my residents are facing a crisis because of flooding, which is directly related to infrastructure problems, either inadequate sewer capacity or disrepair.

Many of our infrastructure issues can be worked out over time but, in these particular cases, something has to be done immediately.

Bernie Morelli

We clearly need to address our immediate infrastructure needs, such as water and sewer. In addition to investing in our strategic areas, I would like to see redevelopment and cleanup of our east harbour. It serves as a major gateway to the city, which is exposed to millions of people annually and is one of our most valuable pieces of land.

Sam Merulla

In limiting our continual exposure to liability coupled with the horrendous number of times residents have been subjected to flooding, most, if not all, these moneys must be allocated to eliminate Hamilton's flooding crisis.

Chad Collins

The funds need to be allocated toward those areas where we have identified infrastructure deficiencies, such as roads, sidewalks, sewers and water pipes and parkland acquisition. These investments could prospectively "free up" funding for other projects such as waterfront and downtown development.

Tom Jackson

We need to focus on hard infrastructure such as roads, sidewalks and sewers. Plus, I want to use this money to target the list of local neighbourhood streets that are in dire straits.

Scott Duvall

I would certainly support this money going towards many of our sewers, side streets and sidewalks.

Terry Whitehead

I would like to fund any infrastructure deficits found in the South Mountain storm water management study. Also we have roads that are in bad, bad shape. I would like to see a strategic plan to fix local roads in neighbourhoods.

Brad Clark

I would encourage moving up the rebuild on Centennial Parkway as well as Lake Avenue and installing the Stoney Creek Gateway on Centennial and King, since the 200th commemoration of the Battle of Stoney Creek is only a few years away.

Lloyd Ferguson

Resurface roads in the Spring Valley community in Ancaster. Twin the Morgan Firestone Arena -- the population of Ancaster has almost doubled since the first ice pad was opened. Build a water feature with ice pad at the renovated City Hall. Fix the various flooding problems in the city.

Russ Powers

Make necessary upgrades to our social housing and recreational facilities. Optimize the city's tree-planting program. Identify and alleviate flooding problem areas. Randle Reef cleanup. Appropriate development of the forecourt in the City Hall retrofit. Repair King Street in Dundas.

Robert Pasuta

Hamilton needs this money to fix its deteriorating roads and sewers. I would like to see the rural areas get a fair share to go towards our infrastructure problems. The biggest complaint I hear is about the roads in my ward. Putting some money toward their rehabilitation would go a long way toward lessening the ill feelings of my residents.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 11:49 AM

For one, they don't have to cheap out on city hall now.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
For one, they don't have to cheap out on city hall now.
But they will, not one councillor suggested spending some of the money on City Hall.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 12:38 PM
Raising the Hammer

Given that Councillor McCarthy's response to every policy question is, "We can't afford that," I'm not surprised she didn't reply to this one.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 12:40 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
But they will, not one councillor suggested spending some of the money on City Hall.
Contact them and recommend it. They do respond to constructive suggestions.

Find their email addresses here:

http://raisethehammer.org/article/450/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 12:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

I'm sure councillors will agree to use the $48 million fund to cover the over budget of City Hall renovation. It's overbudget by like $8 million or so? So there's still plenty of money to spread around.

A big chunk of it should go to fixing the pipes in the East End so neighbours can once again get flood insurance. I rather do that than come out each year providing grants for flood relieve.

$5 million or so I wouldn't mind going towards speeding up the construction of the downtown transit terminal, early spring 2009.

Also it appears the road resurfacing will begin very soon. Aberdeen has signs saying watch out for construction from Aug until Nov. ECK! lol

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 1:03 PM

I am disappointed by McHattie's wishlist. It focuses mainly on items specific to his ward. I would expect him to adopt more of a city-wide perspective, and he didn't even mention the city's most obvious infrastructure need - improvements to the water and sewage infrastructure. As a senior member of council who often calls upon council to take more of a big-picture approach to city needs, the narrow focus is disheartening.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 3:12 PM
Closed account

I tend to agree Mark, and I'm a big McHattie fan. However, Dalewood rec centre is in very bad shape, and city improvements to the facility will help take Dalewood School off the PTR (prohibitive to repair) list that is threatening its closure. Ryerson isn't PTR, but any improvements to the rec centre will help revitalize that school as well. Keeping walkable, lower city schools open is something that will benefit the entire city.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
In a weird way, Ferguson of all people did, asking for money for the water feature and ice rink in front of city hall. This new money does seem to be a good way to pay for a better surface for the hall.

I'm disappointed that McHattie askedfor more affordable housing. I think that's something Hamilton doesn't need more of, especially downloading being the way it is currently.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_mcgreal View Post
Contact them and recommend it. They do respond to constructive suggestions.

Find their email addresses here:

http://raisethehammer.org/article/450/
Thanks, but I'll pass on this one. I'm a believer that one has to choose their battles, and I spoke with my councillors office on Monday (not on this topic).

I'm fighting my battle to have my Property Standards complaint submitted on July 23rd, and put on a priority list on August 11th, addressed. That's where I'm going to do battle for now.

Not ducking the suggestion, just know I've can only get so much mileage at one time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy