HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 12:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

a few miles south/east of James Bay (as well as parts of the NWT) is a Temperate Climate zone? And it is less harsh than the Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland? And on par with the Carolinian climate zone of Southwestern Ontario and the climate zone of Tennessee and Northern Texas? Really? What an insanely crude map.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 12:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
a few miles south/east of James Bay (as well as parts of the NWT) is a Temperate Climate zone? And it is less harsh than the Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland? And on par with the Carolinian climate zone of Southwestern Ontario and the climate zone of Tennessee and Northern Texas? Really? What an insanely crude map.
Not sure where the "temperate zone" is, but it's quite clear where the "twilight zone" is on here!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Here, it is the law to wear a tuque. No Toques are permitted.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That map is clearly wrong because they put Maple Creek in "temperate grasslands" and not "tropical grasslands".

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I like how this thread went from a political discussion, to an architecture discussion, to a weather discussion, to a fashion discussion.
How about Tim Horton's?

Overrated much?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 4:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee930 View Post
How about Tim Horton's?

Overrated much?
Does Brazilian ownership of Timmie's make Canadians any less happy? Is it a blow to our sense of national pride?? Discuss...…….

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Tim Whoreton's just went from being merely terrible food to somehow being even more atrocious. The food is absolute garbage, the coffee is brown dishwater, and the donuts...do they even sell donuts anymore? Haven't stepped in a Rimmie's since before Covid.

How hard is it to fuck up a grilled cheese sandwich? Yet Rim's rises to the occasion. They have the world's worst grilled cheese sandwich, without a doubt.

Apparently they don't use cheese, and the sandwich isn't grilled.

But then their Apple fritter doesn't have apples and it isn't fried (made 'fresh' in a Brantfart Factory)

Last edited by MolsonExport; Sep 15, 2020 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think I'd have a hard time with Stockholm's short winter days. I find Vancouver bad and it is quite a bit farther south.
I always forget about this factor when thinking about SW BC's climate. I was recently surprised to learn that Halifax, Minneapolis, and Portland OR are all around the same latitude... it had never really clicked with me how much further north BC's cities are. The light/dark season factor is a lot more pronounced above the 49th parallel than it is here, although days do get somewhat shorter in the winter.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 8:16 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I always forget about this factor when thinking about SW BC's climate. I was recently surprised to learn that Halifax, Minneapolis, and Portland OR are all around the same latitude... it had never really clicked with me how much further north BC's cities are. The light/dark season factor is a lot more pronounced above the 49th parallel than it is here, although days do get somewhat shorter in the winter.
One factor few people think of is that as you go farther north the sun appears lower in the sky. This is kind of subtle but it means for example that Halifax's low point on December 25 is equal to Vancouver on November 15. If you live in LA the lowest the sun gets is around 32 degrees which is like Vancouver on October 13. Or thinking of it another way, LA never experiences the kind of low sun and long shadows at noon that we get here. Stockholm today is tied Los Angeles in late December.

In December, Halifax gets about 105 hours of sun and Vancouver gets just under 50 hours. But the difference in solar energy is probably a bit bigger than that suggests. I find that the "perpetual darkness" feeling hits me much harder here than in Halifax (not that I am suggesting the weather there is great either).

Portland has a noticeably nicer climate than we do here with more real summer but they still get hit with that Pacific Northwest gloom around November-January (and lately smoke, and crazy riots). Their shoulder seasons are noticeably nicer than Vancouver's, with summer extending into September/October more.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 9:22 PM
recession proof

I call my woolen winter hat a watch cap. A toque was something the hockey player types wore.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure where the "temperate zone" is, but it's quite clear where the "twilight zone" is on here!
Well, I'm going to be a shameless homer and brag that the one climate I grew up in (also known as the Montreal/Victoria/Seattle/Sherbrooke/Kluane-National-Park-In-The-Yukon-Territory/Dallas/FortMcMurray/Atlanta/Ottawa/Val-d'Or/Coastal Virginia/Sept-Îles Climate) is THE best climate!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^at least you won't freeze if you are living in a shack.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:30 PM
Back from the dead

After 11 years in China, any Canadian who isn't happy with Canada needs to go on a third world tour. We all won the lottery by either coming to or being born in Canada.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
After 11 years in China, any Canadian who isn't happy with Canada needs to go on a third world tour. We all won the lottery by either coming to or being born in Canada.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:20 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Tim Whoreton's just went from being merely terrible food to somehow being even more atrocious. The food is absolute garbage, the coffee is brown dishwater, and the donuts...do they even sell donuts anymore? Haven't stepped in a Rimmie's since before Covid.

How hard is it to fuck up a grilled cheese sandwich? Yet Rim's rises to the occasion. They have the world's worst grilled cheese sandwich, without a doubt.

Apparently they don't use cheese, and the sandwich isn't grilled.

But then their Apple fritter doesn't have apples and it isn't fried (made 'fresh' in a Brantfart Factory)
When they sold the Beyond Meat burger last year, I got one.

It was not cooked. They just slapped it on some bread like it was lunch meat!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
When they sold the Beyond Meat burger last year, I got one.

It was not cooked. They just slapped it on some bread like it was lunch meat!
Well I guess Tim Hortons fits our national standard for quality.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Wood frame SF construction here is close to 3rd world in quality. Maybe not quite... but it still is way shittier than it should be.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 4:03 AM

Well since this thread is now discussing Tim's...

I can get frozen packages St-Viateur bagels from Montreal at the Metro grocery store. The re are packs Sesame seed and All-Dressed bagels. They are SO much better than the "fresh" bagels at Tim Hortons. I wish there were more Montreal-style bagel businesses across Canada or regional bakeries that could make them.

Today for lunch I had a St-Viateur sesame seed bagel with Schwartz's Deli smoked meat on it which I bought at Foodland. Added a touch of mustard and put a big Kosher dill pickle on the side. Of course it wasn't as good as getting the real things in Montreal but it was WAY better than Tim's and any other sandwich place in town.

The smoked meat is not bad considering it's packaged but I still go to Schwartz's whenever I can.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 4:09 AM
sick transit, gloria

The packaged St-Viateur bagels are still decent!

There's quite a few good bagel places in Toronto though I would say the best aren't Montreal style. Gotta go to the source for that. But I can actually get pretty good fresh Mtl style bagels from Mabel's near my place on Roncey - just have to use them within a day or two before they are stale.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 12:02 PM

Definitely glad to live in Canada, and increasingly so over the course of 2020. Dissatisfied with a lot, but happy overall. My friends in Europe and in the States are constantly reminding me of how good we have it here, how much worse things can be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada