HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 10:41 PM
Skyriser

Mayo District Development News

I'm calling this thread.

ASU has started a medical school which is in line with Mayo's regional plans for the area.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...PZ/Z-4-23n.pdf

Offical announcement:

https://news.asu.edu/20230601-arizon...ealth-outcomes

Let the speculation begin!

Last edited by combusean; Jun 1, 2023 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 11:03 PM
self-important urbanista

Do we have confirmation that the ASU medical school will be in north Phoenix? The ASU press release says that the university will continue the existing partnership with Mayo, but that's not necessariliy the same as ASU's own medical school. The press release and media coverage have been silent about location.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Do we have confirmation that the ASU medical school will be in north Phoenix? The ASU press release says that the university will continue the existing partnership with Mayo, but that's not necessariliy the same as ASU's own medical school. The press release and media coverage have been silent about location.
Nothing has been confirmed, just speculation. My guess is that there will be some concentration by Discovery Oasis but the main medical school will be in downtown. I'm approaching this from a pride/ego perspective. You have to counter UA's presence and logos all over downtown in the PBC. Also, maybe Mayo may not want ASU's actual medical school to be built close to theirs as well??

The City of Phoenix and ASU swapped land a year ago or so. ASU took over the block where the Mercado buildings currently sit on and the City took over the parking lots at 1st and McKinley. My money is on that this is where the new medical school gets built.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 8:24 AM

Starting asu's first med school

How ironic that Fred DuVal of the Board of Regents is sitting there with the president of asu - making this announcement. Fred's father Merlin DuVal was the first Dean of the UofA medical school. I worked for Fred's younger brother David for a short time after graduating (a long time ago). I think he had a tough time living under the shadow of his father - and to a certain extent - his brother Fred who had entered politics. Unless asu can get $1billion for "brick and mortar" and another $1billion for an endowment - it will take a long time for their medical school to take off and take shape. UofA's downtown Phoenix medical school was created/formed in 2004-2005. Nearly 20 years ago. It's just taking off. It takes a long time to get funding... build...grow...get established...have successes...build a reputation, etc. Even UofA's Tucson school is considered relatively new. Even though it is over 50 years old. The Board of Regents had to decide in the early 60s to give the new med school to UofA or asu. UofA won out. They didn't hire DuVal until the mid 1960s - and the first graduating class happened the latter part of the 1960s.

Good to get started now. Phoenix's CSA - which is Maricopa County and Pinal County - is over 5 million people. Probably will hit 6 million by 2030.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 12:02 AM

A thread on this is probably the most official thing that’s happened so far.

Y’all are biting on the press release pretty hard.

ASU doesn’t even have the authority to open a med school so this feels very premature.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 3:22 PM

Funding

[QUOTE=azcats;9959208]How ironic that Fred DuVal of the Board of Regents is sitting there with the president of asu - making this announcement. Fred's father Merlin DuVal was the first Dean of the UofA medical school. I worked for Fred's younger brother David for a short time after graduating (a long time ago). I think he had a tough time living under the shadow of his father - and to a certain extent - his brother Fred who had entered politics. Unless asu can get $1billion for "brick and mortar" and another $1billion for an endowment - it will take a long time for their medical school to take off and take shape.

You must not have been following what Michael Crow has pulled off since he took over as President of ASU. I will not be surprised if he get the funds raised pronto. The following from this mornings Bus Journal.

Crow said it was too early to say exactly how much it will cost to develop the project.

"Overall, boatloads of money, and we're going to be raising all of it, just like we've done for everything else," he said. "We don't view this as a state-financed project. This is an ASU project. We may ask the state to be an investor along with others."

This facility will stand alone from other medical schools, Crow said.

Just in another article in the Bus Journal explaining how Crow got the job done at ASU to this point and how it paves the way for this next endeavor. Don't bet against this guy.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...u/70279909007/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 5:32 PM

[QUOTE=phoenixwillrise;9961034]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcats View Post
How ironic that Fred DuVal of the Board of Regents is sitting there with the president of asu - making this announcement. Fred's father Merlin DuVal was the first Dean of the UofA medical school. I worked for Fred's younger brother David for a short time after graduating (a long time ago). I think he had a tough time living under the shadow of his father - and to a certain extent - his brother Fred who had entered politics. Unless asu can get $1billion for "brick and mortar" and another $1billion for an endowment - it will take a long time for their medical school to take off and take shape.

You must not have been following what Michael Crow has pulled off since he took over as President of ASU. I will not be surprised if he get the funds raised pronto. The following from this mornings Bus Journal.

Crow said it was too early to say exactly how much it will cost to develop the project.

"Overall, boatloads of money, and we're going to be raising all of it, just like we've done for everything else," he said. "We don't view this as a state-financed project. This is an ASU project. We may ask the state to be an investor along with others."

This facility will stand alone from other medical schools, Crow said.

Just in another article in the Bus Journal explaining how Crow got the job done at ASU to this point and how it paves the way for this next endeavor. Don't bet against this guy.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...u/70279909007/
He's done some spectacular things for the university no doubt. But the endowment and donations per graduate is still atrocious. I'm not sure how much of that culture he can change. It feels very aspirational.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 12:45 AM

True,but.

[QUOTE=MiEncanto;9961179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post

He's done some spectacular things for the university no doubt. But the endowment and donations per graduate is still atrocious. I'm not sure how much of that culture he can change. It feels very aspirational.
It will only take one or a couple of techie type graduates who hit it beyond big to pony up and change those stats dramatically. Stay tuned.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:42 PM

Are we sure this would go by Mayo and no Downtown in the land set aside for the Biomedical campus especially with the ability to share space with the nursing school, Wexler Labs and maybe even UA medical school property?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:20 PM

Starting ASU's first med school

What I see...are two things: 1) ASU taking advantage of metro Phoenix's booming population over the last 50 years from 1 million in the early 1970s to over 5 million today. 2) NO COMPETITION. What - Grand Canyon College? 100,000 students (88% acceptance rate) spread out over the Valley on four campuses. That way, when Crow submits his budget to the state legislators - because he has 100,000 students - he gets a lot of money. How much is diverted towards his pet projects?

Building a med school is like building a whole separate university. There are so many fields of study - no two med schools are alike. The UofA might have a great respiratory department or cancer center - another school may not even have one - at all. And it doesn't get built all at once - overnight. Every time I see something from the UofA and someone has donated $10 million...or, $20 million...or, $50 to the med school - there is a new field of study...or, institute. Sarver donates his multi-millions. Bingo, there is the Sarver Heart Institute.

Crow says no state funds. Well...what is the initial $30 million seed money?!? And it will come from the Board of Regents?!? I thought they were a Governing Board...a Policy making Board? Not a private foundation for dispersing funds. How are they getting ahold of that taxpayer's money?!? I guess if the UofA and NAU aren't squawking - it's legit. One thing is for sure - since it is taxpayer's money - I see waste. It's always easy to spend other people's money. I don't see it going very far: Feasibility and E.I.R studies, conceptual plans and drawings or, spending some overly inflated price for a piece of land for the new campus? I don't know - time will tell.

Personally, I think asu blew their chance to open a medical school 20 years ago. I think it was an embarrassment for UofA to come into ASU's backyard - literally - and build their second med school. My understanding is that the UofA is the only university in the country with two separate medical schools.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Are we sure this would go by Mayo and no Downtown in the land set aside for the Biomedical campus especially with the ability to share space with the nursing school, Wexler Labs and maybe even UA medical school property?
No location has been announced or confirmed, it's currently all speculation. My guess is this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
The City of Phoenix and ASU swapped land a year ago or so. ASU took over the block where the Mercado buildings currently sit on and the City took over the parking lots between 1st and 2nd Streets & McKinley. My money is on that this is where the new medical school gets built.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 2:10 AM
Skyriser

A med school without a partner hospital nearby doesn't make any sense but I suppose it's possible.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
A med school without a partner hospital nearby doesn't make any sense but I suppose it's possible.
I think ASU colabing with Dignity/St Joes/ Barrow would be a good move, but they already have a relationship with Mayo which is premier obviously.

I just figured with the already existing downtown university infrastructure including Nursing and several blocks set aside for them to develop would be very tempting.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I think ASU colabing with Dignity/St Joes/ Barrow would be a good move, but they already have a relationship with Mayo which is premier obviously.

I just figured with the already existing downtown university infrastructure including Nursing and several blocks set aside for them to develop would be very tempting.
Dignity has a partner in Creighton med school, which makes sense because they're both Catholic.

Getting into bed with Sparky comes with certain complexities so I'm guessing Mayo and Crow will have details to sort out. I have a hard time seeing this working out downtown. Plus Crow loves his LARGE MAP OF ARIZONA with all his ASU sites and he already has downtown so taking on north Scottsdale furthers the geographical march.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 5:15 PM

Would it not make sense to eventually move the School of Nursing to be collocated with this new school?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
Dignity has a partner in Creighton med school, which makes sense because they're both Catholic.

Getting into bed with Sparky comes with certain complexities so I'm guessing Mayo and Crow will have details to sort out. I have a hard time seeing this working out downtown. Plus Crow loves his LARGE MAP OF ARIZONA with all his ASU sites and he already has downtown so taking on north Scottsdale furthers the geographical march.
I didn't realize Creighton had a relationship with St. Joes.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 9:12 PM

Mayo Clinic names leaders for Phoenix biotech innovation hub

Not much in terms of updates but wonder how far out we are from potential groundbreaking for the first tenant? I'm really excited about this project and what it can do for the entire region/state.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...s-leaders.html

Quote:
Bopp said he's in active discussions with developers and potential tenants to determine which project will be the first to be built.

"Right now, we're in that process of trying to identify those partnerships," Lester said. "It's fair to say we have had some site visits and engagement with potential collaborative partners. We've just been at this about a month. We're just getting started."

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 11:23 PM

Mayo Clinic working to attract innovators to Discovery Oasis biotech corridor

Slow and steady progress being made.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...ncil-vote.html

Quote:
As Phoenix City Council prepares to vote Oct. 18 on Mayo Clinic's Discovery Oasis biotech and health corridor proposal in north Phoenix, work is underway to bring companies to the site.

Dr. Steven Lester, medical director of Discovery Oasis, said the team is actively meeting with health care innovators to be part of the 120-acre biotech hub, which spans one mile south of Loop 101, between 56th and 64th streets, just north of Mayo Clinic's hospital campus in north Phoenix.

"We are truly excited about the prospects of making an announcement in that area," said Lester, who also is a cardiologist and health care futurist for Mayo Clinic.

City officials are excited about the project, said Nick Wood, partner with Snell & Wilmer and zoning attorney for Mayo Clinic. Wood represented Mayo Clinic in an Oct. 5 Phoenix Planning Commission hearing, where the Commission unanimously recommended that the Discovery Oasis project, via the amendments to the Desert Ridge Specific Plan, move forward to City Council for approval.

"It allows for Mayo to take advantage of an opportunity to bring collaborative companies to Phoenix from all over the world," Wood said. "One of the many things that makes Mayo Clinic the best provider of medical services in the entire world is the fact they're able to collaborate with research and development companies, wet labs and medical manufacturing companies. This permits them to bring them here, where the collaboration can be more efficient, more effective and more rewarding."

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 9:32 PM

Time to rename this thread…

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 11:49 PM
Skyriser

The last incarnation of the mayo district had like six asu buildings, so I still coulda sworn the med school was going there. Oh well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest