HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I think the view of Manhattan/NYC from Eagle Rock Reservation in Montclair/Verona is the best one there is overall.
Every time I have been there it feels a little too far, and ends up being kind of hazy. Try Hamilton Park in Weehauken. The skyline is just like... BAM!

IMG_3883 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_3907 by David Z, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Sure hope no one I know would "cry" over something as asinine as a skyline.

Most disappointing U.S. skylines (no particular order):

Phoenix
San Jose
Sacramento
Salt Lake City
San Antonio
Milwaukee
Jacksonville
Oklahoma City
Orlando
Cincinnati
Columbus
Memphis
Portland
Boston

Honorable Mention: New Orleans, Indianapolis

The incredibly partisan opinion of a New Yorker taking shots at Boston. I mean, I get that it could use more spires and a new tallest building, but... My God! Let's just let the stats do the talking.

Your "most disappointing skylines" listed by number of 500'+ buildings in the city.

Boston: 18 + 2 U/C (1 hitting 500' THIS WEEK, other by end of the year)
Columbus: 5
New Orleans: 4
Indianapolis: 3
Milwaukee: 3
Portland: 3
Oklahoma City: 2
Cincinnati: 2
Jacksonville: 2
San Antonio: 2, number includes an observation tower
Memphis: 0
Orlando: 0
Phoenix: 0
Salt Lake City: 0
San Jose: 0
Sacramento: 0

Quote:
Assuming you are referring to skylines, however, I was not disappointed by the Baltimore skyline (which I last viewed in-person in 2018); I was disappointed by the Boston skyline (which I last viewed in-person in 2019) for all of the reasons previously stated about both skylines.

Baltimore's 15 tallest buildings:

Capture by David Z, on Flickr

Boston's 15 tallest buildings:

It's pretty clear that you have some kind of anti-Boston complex, but how biased can you possibly be?

11 by henry.dixon, on Flickr

12 by henry.dixon, on Flickr

IMG_4123 by David Z, on Flickr

Views of Boston from a plane by Jessica D, on Flickr

Last edited by DZH22; Aug 20, 2019 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:01 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Dang, that last shot is really cool. Never seen Boston from that perspective before.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:34 AM

I would suspect the view of Boston's skyline vs. Baltimore's skyline is more based on expectations more than anything.

NYC is insane. We are so damn lucky as Americans to have that city.

Also, damn Boston is NICE. Again, we are lucky to have that place too.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 1:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
The incredibly partisan opinion of a New Yorker taking shots at Boston. I mean, I get that it could use more spires and a new tallest building, but... My God! Let's just let the stats do the talking.

Your "most disappointing skylines" listed by number of 500'+ buildings in the city.

Boston: 18 + 2 U/C (1 hitting 500' THIS WEEK, other by end of the year)
Columbus: 5
New Orleans: 4
Indianapolis: 3
Milwaukee: 3
Portland: 3
Oklahoma City: 2
Cincinnati: 2
Jacksonville: 2
San Antonio: 2, number includes an observation tower
Memphis: 0
Orlando: 0
Phoenix: 0
Salt Lake City: 0
San Jose: 0
Sacramento: 0

Baltimore's 15 tallest buildings:

Boston's 15 tallest buildings:

It's pretty clear that you have some kind of anti-Boston complex, but how biased can you possibly be?
Wow, you really went to great lengths to try to prove a point that will never resonate with the majority of people, didn't you?

Bottom line: Boston has an extremely underwhelming skyline. Aside from John Hancock - which would honestly just be another random glass tower if it were dropped in Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, L.A., etc. - the entire skyline is comprised of relatively short, brown/beige, unattractive dated-looking (and not in a "good" way) buildings. Prudential Tower is simply hideous, yet it is one of the most prominent towers in the city.

And yes, Boston's skyline is very disappointing when compared to that of Baltimore, regardless of how many 500+ foot towers it has. It's BOSTON for goodness sake - an internationally-renowned city rich in history, cultural significance and importance, so one would think it's skyline would at least rank among those of San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, L.A., Miami, etc. but it doesn't come remotely close to any of those, based on size or aesthetics.

Baltimore, on the other hand, is BALTIMORE - who would honestly expect much of a skyline?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 1:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I would suspect the view of Boston's skyline vs. Baltimore's skyline is more based on expectations more than anything.
Thank you. Somebody gets it.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:10 PM

Seen it in person. Agree that Boston's skyline is shit and all the towers are horrible examples of architecture. Millennium tower is alright though.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Dang, that last shot is really cool. Never seen Boston from that perspective before.
Because most of those are enhanced photos with perspectives that don't actually exist.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:30 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Because most of those are enhanced photos with perspectives that don't actually exist.
The last one was taken on approach to Logan. Probably the best view of the skyline from anywhere in the city. Even if from afar.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:37 PM
The City

Quote:
Seen it in person. Agree that Boston's skyline is shit and all the towers are horrible examples of architecture. Millennium tower is alright though.
Yeah, but Boston's greatness lies not in its skyline, but its awesome built environment. Something that no sunbelt city will ever, ever, ever, ever replicate.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Yeah, but Boston's greatness lies not in its skyline, but its awesome built environment. Something that no sunbelt city will ever, ever, ever, ever replicate.
This thread is about skylines....

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:44 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
We down here also don't have the Patriots either...so that's an upside.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:46 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Yeah, seriously the Patriots and that Tom Brady douchebag need to go away already...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
The last one was taken on approach to Logan. Probably the best view of the skyline from anywhere in the city. Even if from afar.
Yeah, it's weird that the best views of Boston's skyline are from the runway at Logan.

Whoever compared Boston's skyline to Baltimore needs to put down the crack pipe.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
totally agreed.

and i never think of boston as being a city with actual swimming beaches within city limits like new york.

i mean, i know there are beaches all over new england, but i've never thought of boston proper as having any because i always think of it as a harbor city like baltimore or something.

in fact, how many major US cities have actual beaches within city limits?

new york, boston, miami, LA, san diego, san francisco, chicago, milwaukee, cleveland, any others?

Last edited by Steely Dan; Aug 20, 2019 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:53 PM

Detroit has swimming beaches within city limits. Probably most cities on a major body of water.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:57 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Minneapolis has a multitude of sandy beaches on various lakes throughout the city. they don't stretch for miles like those other major cities mentioned, but they're beaches. with sand. and umbrellas. and beer cans.

Seattle also has beaches (the sand is different, though--at least on the beaches I've been to).

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:07 PM

The only beach in Detroit is Belle Isle Beach.

Regarding Miami, someone correct me if this is wrong, but the only part of Miami city with a beach is Virginia Key, right? Most of the beaches we associate with Miami are in Miami Beach.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
And yes, Boston's skyline is very disappointing when compared to that of Baltimore, regardless of how many 500+ foot towers it has. It's BOSTON for goodness sake - an internationally-renowned city rich in history, cultural significance and importance, so one would think it's skyline would at least rank among those of San Francisco, Houston, Dallas, L.A., Miami, etc. but it doesn't come remotely close to any of those, based on size or aesthetics.

Baltimore, on the other hand, is BALTIMORE - who would honestly expect much of a skyline?
Let's start with Baltimore. I would certainly expect a major city with multiple pro sports teams to at least be visible before I'm literally right on top of it. (I drove in earlier this summer, been a bunch) Its tallest building is shorter than Hartford, CT's! Boston has a dozen taller buildings. It also beats Baltimore 18 (soon 20) to 4 in the 500'+ department, and 34 to 7 in 400'+. They aren't on the same stratosphere.

Boston's airport is also closer than the majority of major cities. Its lucky it doesn't have some terrible 500' limit like San Diego. Without the airport's extreme proximity it would have been easier to get a few taller buildings downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Totals:
Houston - 156
Miami - 154
LA - 140
Philly - 82
SF - 94
Atlanta - 82
Dallas - 78
Seattle - 68
Using this methodology, Boston is up to 56, but 58 THIS WEEK, 60 by the end of the year, and has 12 more points (2 more over 600') in prep phase. So yes, it's a step down, but not a HUGE step down by any means. In the past few years it has gone from 2 buildings over 200m to 4, with a 5th in prep. (and a 6th possible at South Station if they ever all get on the same page)

The skyline is so expansive that so much depends on the angles its viewed from. The best way in is probably 93 North (via Quincy) as the skyline literally envelops you, and the financial district towers are allowed to stand out. 90 East has improved drastically with 1 Dalton, which lines up 3 buildings from ~745'-790' in a row on the final approach. From the airport area it's basically an unbreaking wall of buildings 500'-600'. There are a lot of hills which offer tons of awesome views (I know of at least 30 good skyline views) but also serve to block a lot of views or make buildings seem stumpier by being behind the hills.

Quote:
The first 2 are probably from a drone. The 3rd one I took from a park. The 4th one is the view from the plane approaching Logan. None of them are "enhanced" and those views all exist if you were at that same point the photos were taken from.

Quote:
Yeah, seriously the Patriots and that Tom Brady douchebag need to go away already...
A lot of hate for Boston for reasons other than its skyline is going to bias these responses for sure.

Quote:
My hometown team has won 6 Superbowls this century and the most playoff games of any franchise all time. Their overwhelming success has certainly led to a few gut-punches in that time, but overall I think rooting for the best football dynasty in the Superbowl era is more of an upside than rooting for a team that has never won a Superbowl.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 4:18 PM

That first pic of the Boston skyline with the brick low-rises in the foreground is amazing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions