HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 12:49 AM

Didn't have time to snap a picture of Parc Place across the street, but this intersection is looking nice.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 3:18 PM

Agreed! Now just need the NE corner redeveloped and this pocket will be awesome. I think there is a new development in the works at the bus station across from Nexa, but if someone could absorb the mark apt and the convenience store and do some mixed-use that would be sweet.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 3:27 PM

Development planning updates

The Rio East project at 2100 Rio was recommended approval by the DRC for new apartments and 13.5k SF of retail.

Also, upcoming meeting in March is a new 8-story mixed use project containing 367 units called "Downtown Flats" this will be where the Beam on Farmer was located. I think we discussed this a few pages back. At 8 floors this would probably mean it will be Type I construction so I am hopeful for a high quality design

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=87628

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 9:39 PM

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 10:59 PM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 2:52 AM

Here are a couple of presentations that were given to the Joint Review Committee (that does design review for ASU projects) yesterday for two Novus parcels:

Parcel 4f (south side of Rio Salado, on the odd-shaped former-Karsten parcel abutting the Ocotillo power plant. Bottom right in CB1's picture above):

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=87508

Parcel 3f (next to the hotel and big garage off 6th street):

https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=87506

4f isn't amazing--site plan is about 75% parking. But it's a tough parcel with the big 500 kv transmission lines along Rio Salado, and right next to the power plant, so it was probably never going to be amazing. The design of the buildings themselves look great though--I'd love to work there.

3f is good, nothing special but still exciting. I drove through 6th Street today actually and was already impressed with how the area is shaping up. It feels "big" and urban-ish already, especially the wood apartment building going up that has a pleasant curve along 6th. Another 7 story, 85' apartment building will only add to that. It does seem like a little much to have 3 stories of parking in student apartments right next to the university and right next to ASU's version of the 'garage mahal.' But there are only .65 parking spots per du, so I guess that ain't all bad.

Last edited by muertecaza; Feb 5, 2021 at 4:57 AM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 3:38 PM

I'm happy with both of these. If the apartments go through, all we need is an office on rural/university hard corner and the food hall on rural and the whole phase will be complete. Then we will start to see Phase 4 parcels get built out at a faster pace

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 4:34 PM

Not so fast

Parcel 4f (south side of Rio Salado, on the odd-shaped former-Karsten parcel

4f isn't amazing--site plan is about 75% parking. But it's a tough parcel with the big 500 kv transmission lines along Rio Salado, and right next to the power plant, so it was probably never going to be amazing. The design of the buildings themselves look great though--I'd love to work there.

Are you sure you would want to work under that kind of exposure to high voltage power lines? Pretty sure the long time exposure of those has been revealed to have a high probability of causing cancer. Why doesn't SRP or Pinnacle put those under ground first?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 7:09 AM

Anyone know if the ISTB7 webcam has just given out or they aren't updating the feed anymore? I think that was pretty much the last live look at Tempe development that now seems to be gone.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 2:00 AM

The Pier is starting to take shape. This is the view from the TMP.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 3:33 AM

Here is a good picture of the Farmers Arts District development next to Whole Foods.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 4:46 AM
them bones

^Great shot!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 7:29 AM

100 mill

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 6:12 PM

Pier taking shape!

CB1 SAID "The Pier is starting to take shape".
I imagine the builders of the pyramids had the same feeling when they laid the foundation, but the pier will probably take longer.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
CB1 SAID "The Pier is starting to take shape".
I imagine the builders of the pyramids had the same feeling when they laid the foundation, but the pier will probably take longer.
CB1 is absolutely right, I know everyone likes to pick on this project, but I am excited to see it really pick up steam, which it has! They are now working on the 4th floor on the East tower and the 1st floor columns are up on the West tower. I really like the design of these tower, so hoping the keep up the current pace.

The 4 story underground garage in their defense does take a long time to build, but should have been about 18 months max and they took about 2.5 years, probably going slow till final building permit was finalized.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 9:20 PM

I don’t know why but I can never remember what this project is supposed to look like.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
I don’t know why but I can never remember what this project is supposed to look like.
Architect's website: https://www.rinka.com/ucpier-1
Tempe DR Package: https://www.tempe.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=44468

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 9:45 PM

Okay I’ve seen this before now I need to actually remember it. It looks very nice, hopefully it is worth the wait. Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 10:39 PM
Skyriser

I never understood this before but Pier has a fairly large footprint too. That would explain some of the delays as well.

Do the other Pier blocks have any sort of entitlements? The greater area has seen two iterations over the years but this seems to be the only project that's funded.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Do the other Pier blocks have any sort of entitlements? The greater area has seen two iterations over the years but this seems to be the only project that's funded.
I don't believe they created an overlay district (PUD) for that area but I know the City was trying to contract South Pier Holdings to market and sell the entire area, but not sure if that fell through. KDC has the 10-story Pier 202 office building, but I'm pretty sure they are waiting for a tenant before they advance that.

https://kdc.com/our-work/tempe-waterfront

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest