HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I drove by the site today, demolition hasn’t even begun yet. The old strip plaza is still there with tenants. Perhaps you are thinking of the crane for CoMo condos at Fruitland Rd. Muse is at Green Rd.
you are exactly right, I was getting those two names mixed up. thanks!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 2:57 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I have to imagine this isn't true. They'll likely do some sidewalks with the expectation that the developments redo them when built because the Pier 8 lands aren't being developed all in one shot, they're being developed over like 15 years+
That was not my understanding of this development. The larger west harbour plan was longer term, wasn't it? Isn't this specific part happening on a much shorter timeline? (promenade first, then the new residential and commercial)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
That was not my understanding of this development. The larger west harbour plan was longer term, wasn't it? Isn't this specific part happening on a much shorter timeline? (promenade first, then the new residential and commercial)
The condo developments are happening in 3 phases. Further back in these discussion you can find some sort of PDF or jpeg (I'll see if I can find it back) where this is specified. The phase 1 is the townhome sections along the road that existed. The key point here is the timeline of the phases. Ice seen both 15 years and 25 years quoted. There's a zero percent chance all 10 buildings are built at once. Even if they were it would still take around 10 years.

Edit: Found it. While this isn't referenced much in the Waterfront Shores proposal, the expectation from the city was that it would be a phased approach.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Last edited by TheRitsman; Jan 4, 2021 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 8:02 PM
Ham-burgher

Thanks!

That's a bit old now (predates selection of the Waterfront Shores bid by two years) but I can't find any other mention of the phase timing anywhere.

All I can find is that the developer is expecting to launch sales this year (the pandemic may affect that) and the registration web page notes they're still negotiating agreements with the city.
https://www.tercot.com/#scrollTo=underDevelopment
https://www.tercot.com/under-develop...hores-hamilton

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 4:43 PM
Ham-burgher

Photos of demo work and pile driving at Pier 7, from today's Spec
https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...at-pier-7.html

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 11:42 PM

Whoaaa! Cool!

Is that the old harbour police building?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 11:59 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Is that the old harbour police building?
Probably.

I remember enjoying Bayfront Park when it first opened. I can recall the hub-bub about its gestation and birth. Now, living back in my hometown, to see this stuff happen firsthand not-so-far from my home is quite an experience!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 11:44 AM

It is the big white building next to the Hamilton yacht club ... It is completely leveled

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 2:10 AM

Installation of the ship hull ribs has begun at Pier 8. From a distance it looks like "stelcoloy" which is the rust covered steel similar to 100 King west or 1 James north.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 9:43 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
It is the big white building next to the Hamilton yacht club ... It is completely leveled
Thanks! Looking back at the angles of the photos that makes much more sense. Have they taken down the smaller one already as well?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 12:34 AM

I've said many times before that the greening of the old industrial lands of the West Habour is, undoubtedly, the most successful project the City ever embarked upon.
Thirty years later, phase 2 is looking just as exciting.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 10:40 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I've said many times before that the greening of the old industrial lands of the West Habour is, undoubtedly, the most successful project the City ever embarked upon.
Thirty years later, phase 2 is looking just as exciting.
Completely agree. When Bayfront and Pier 4 parks opened it really changed the city for the better, despite having assets like that in relative abundance.

People lament the losses of greenspace (suburban, Red Hill Valley, etc.) and some are lamentable, but overall Hamilton is blessed with some terrific parks and trails that are very accessible to people. West harbour and the trail to Princess Point, the Beach Strip pathway and parks along it from the ship channel all the way through Confederation, the rail trails, RBG and Dundas Valley trails, the paths and parks along the escarpment edge, Fifty Point and other conservation areas very close to the urban area... there are many other examples too.

The new developments at piers 7 and 8 will add some great amenities to a long list that's already in existence.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
Installation of the ship hull ribs has begun at Pier 8. From a distance it looks like "stelcoloy" which is the rust covered steel similar to 100 King west or 1 James north.
Saw this today while going down for a skate at the waterfront. It's looking good.

Also got a pic of the demolition area from earlier pictures above.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 1:44 PM

(Let me know if there's a better place to ask this)

Does anyone know why there are no houses on the South side of Strachan? I think I was once told that they were torn down for the old Perimeter Road plan, but I can't find any confirmation of that online.

(Actually, looking at Google Maps, looks like there's exactly one house on the entire south side of the street, between John & Catharine)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Does anyone know why there are no houses on the South side of Strachan? I think I was once told that they were torn down for the old Perimeter Road plan, but I can't find any confirmation of that online.
Yep! It's described in the book Unbuilt Hamilton. Dozens of homes that stood there in the first half of the 20th century were expropriated and demolished for the road.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Yep! It's described in the book Unbuilt Hamilton. Dozens of homes that stood there in the first half of the 20th century were expropriated and demolished for the road.
I have both the Unbuilt Toronto books. Didn't know that there was a Hamilton Edition! I guess I know what my next amazon purchase is..

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:35 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Does the city have any plans to allow development on that strip? Or make it formal parkland linking Bayfront with that park at Wellington north of the tracks?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
I have both the Unbuilt Toronto books. Didn't know that there was a Hamilton Edition! I guess I know what my next amazon purchase is..
HPL also has it! Gentle nudge to consider inquiring with local book shops (King West, Epic Books, Gordon on King East) before resorting to Amazon

And no, I've never heard of development plans for the area.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Oh wonderful! That book's actually on my desk right beside me! I'll give it a read this evening.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 9:13 PM

This area is destined to have an expanded multiuse trail and be parkland. I personally think it should be developed. Parkland beside what is likely to be busy train rails doesn't sound very nice. Closing up the street and blocking the noise to houses in the North end would be preferable.

Also, fun fact. Strachan is pronounced 'Strawn'. Learned that on an environment Hamilton bicycle ride from a staff member.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues