HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 3:32 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The old north stand seats approx. 14,000 while the new south stand seats approx. 11,000. TD Place would lose 3,000 seats if they constructed a new stand that mirrors the south stand which, in turn, would necessitate higher ticket prices.
This implies consistent demand for the product over the next decade or more. IIRC that hasn't been there for stadium tenants. 20K total wouldn't be the end of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Based on my uneducated opinion, demolition of the old stand and 10,000 seat arena + construction of a new 13,000+ seat stand + construction of a 5-6,000 seat arena would likely be exceed $150 million. $100 million for the new stand and $50 million for a new hockey arena for the junior team....seems to be the going rate.
Probably not far off. Really curious to see how it plays out between the City and OSEG in the coming years.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 4:39 PM

Going through some of my father’s papers over the weekend.

A concept for a covered stadium in Edmonton put forward in about 1967 but the concept started in 1957, probably over drinks one evening. My father did the original drafting and you can see it in some of the ghost images.
Here is some of the original concept drawings.
[IMG]Dad scan 2 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Dad scan 1 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]scan0751024_1 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG] in the attached article
[IMG]0001 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG].

We know there was some drawings of the Omniplex concept as well. But those have gone missing.

But what could have been.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Going through some of my father’s papers over the weekend.
Amazing stuff! Edmonton has always aimed pretty high with its sports venues.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
I think some allowance can be made for a materially better bid, but yes, generally low price is easier to sell politically.

I have a nagging suspicion construction companies know this and underbid, hoping to wrangle additional money when things don't go to plan.
Trillium Stage 2 is a good example. The City went with the cheapest bidder despite the fact that they failed the technical requirements twice, far behind the top two bids. They didn't include basic stuff like signaling or train control systems, no plan for snow removal or revamping the existing trains, some stations were non-compliant (ramps instead of stairs and elevators). They apparently fixed the deficiencies in their bid after being awarded the contract, yet the price remains the same somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The conclusion isn't that we shouldn't build nice things. It's a commentary on how projects are managed. Hopefully when they rebuild the north stands, these issues will have been resolved. If they aren't, they'll end up repeating what happened with the south stands. Another bankruptcy, people going unpaid, etc. I suppose we'll end up with yet another stadium where one stand doesn't match the other stand. Tim Hortons Field? BMO Field? Molson Stadium?

The south stand replicated on the north side would be ideal.
Because the new north side stands will be integrated with the arena and new mixed-use development, replicating the south side won't be possible.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 10:09 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I suppose we'll end up with yet another stadium where one stand doesn't match the other stand. Tim Hortons Field? BMO Field? Molson Stadium?

The south stand replicated on the north side would be ideal.
I don't see the big deal. Yeah, the structures may be different between the two sets of grandstands, but so what? In Molson's case, it's a very old stadium, so of course the modern addition makes for a big mismatch. BMO was expanded over time, but the seating is consistent (type, colour) so it doesn't feel like the two sides are that disconnected. Same with THF... I'd have preferred if they at least "roughed in" some club levels on the east grandstand, but the budget just wasn't there, and you'd still have a press box on one side or the other.

Incongruity seems to be fairly common with many of the latest stadium designs in many places. Look at some of the big NFL stadiums of the past 20 years.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Replicating the south on the north probably precludes the arena. Which is fine if there is another cost-effective option for an arena elsewhere. But if the mayor wants to increase the population around there to help pay for it, an arena is probably a better draw than a football stadium, so I imagine the arena needs to be part of it.
Not a problem if they were to build a new stadium in Lebreton flats and a 5-8,000 seat arena at Lansdowne, which would also open up lots of space for new housing.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
We know there was some drawings of the Omniplex concept as well. But those have gone missing. But what could have been.

Retrofutures: Edmonton’s Omniplex – Part 1
Retrofutures: Edmonton’s Omniplex – Part 2

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 7:17 PM

^ That is some peak 60s stadium architecture right there. But something that bold and audacious probably wouldn't have aged that well. I suspect Edmonton was better off going with Commonwealth Stadium... a relatively economical and efficient design that has stood the test of time.

Incidentally, when I visited Rice Stadium in Houston a few years back (pre-renovations) I was amazed by how much it resembled Commonwealth in terms of layout and configuration. Does anyone know if the architects deliberately set out to closely follow Rice?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Incidentally, when I visited Rice Stadium in Houston a few years back (pre-renovations) I was amazed by how much it resembled Commonwealth in terms of layout and configuration. Does anyone know if the architects deliberately set out to closely follow Rice?
I believe Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium was the inspiration, they also considered a dome IIRC.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
I believe Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium was the inspiration, they also considered a dome IIRC.
Very close similarities to Arrowhead for sure. Commonwealth is basically what you'd get if you tried to build an Arrowhead lookalike but shaped to a Rice configuration.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 7:41 PM

Wikipedia says Commonwealth was based on Jack Trice Stadium (or Cyclone Stadium) in Ames Iowa, (Iowa State University). I am still looking for the place where I read Arrowhead was the inspiration, I am quite sure I have.

Commonwealth Stadium
City of Edmonton

In the early 1970s, a group of Edmonton sports enthusiasts organized a bid to host the 1978 Commonwealth Games. The group quickly secured significant federal, provincial and city support for the bid. The financial backing given to the bid committee was an important factor in Edmonton being granted the games, and key component of this support was a proposal to build or renovate a range of venues as a sports legacy for Edmonton.

Initially, there was some thought given to rebuilding Clarke Stadium to make it large enough to host the main track and field, and other sports events for the games. However, by late 1974, there was substantial agreement that a new larger stadium was the best option. There were some debates over the form that stadium might take and discussions around possible locations, but by January 1975, Edmonton City Council had settled on construction of a huge, over 40,000 person capacity, stadium adjacent to the old Clarke Stadium.

Construction of the new Commonwealth Stadium was a massive undertaking. This photograph, taken in August 1976 shows work on the excavations for the field level and the start of work on the recreation centre and field house at the south end of the stadium. In addition, Council approved construction of the Kinsmen Aquatic Centre for swimming and diving events, and the Argyll Velodrome for cycling, while badminton, wrestling and some other sports would be staged using University of Alberta sports facilities.

Despite considerable opposition from residents and community groups in the new stadium area, construction began on the new facility in March. Edmontonians were regularly informed by the news media about the scale, and cost, of the project. Construction required removal of 500,000 cubic yards of dirt for the stadium infield. This excavation work required 40 trucks, eight earth movers, backhoes, excavators, and other heavy equipment.

The construction was not without problems. There was a lot of interest in an extra bill of $50,000 for a special Royal Retirement Room adjacent to the Royal Box, and some questions were asked about the training and office space allocated to the Eskimos. There was even a long and often heated debate about whether or not the stadium needed a roof or dome to make it impervious to the elements. The projected cost of $18.2 million (or more) for the roof limited public support for this idea. By early 1978, these issues seemed resolved, though there was some concern expressed by a few athletes about footing on the Pro Turf surface used for the track, and for some field events such as javelin and high jump. Otherwise, the stadium and other facilities were finished in good time, more or less on budget, and with minimal controversy.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 7:49 PM

^ I don't see a clear resemblance to the stadium in Iowa. It's much closer to Rice/Arrowhead.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't see a clear resemblance to the stadium in Iowa. It's much closer to Rice/Arrowhead.
I agree.

Blast from the past, a post of mine from three years ago.

Commonwealth Stadium (In the Beginning)

Video Link

I love the old commercials, anyone remember the girl who became famous for the "You Got It Pontiac" (46:34) commercials. Apparently some people still use it as a catchprase. TPB?

Everybody stole Georgio Moroder's instrumental "Chase" from the movie Midnight Express back then (126:08)

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 7:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

According to a local radio station, Gatineau is going to rev up the ice machines at the Centre Robert-Guertin so that the Olympiques can play one final game at Le Vieux Bob.

The new Centre Slush Puppie (I biked by there yesterday) appears totally ready to host them.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 5:30 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

City, Flames to each put extra $12.5M toward arena, but Flames take any more cost overruns
http://https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/city-flames-to-each-put-extra-12-5m-toward-arena-but-flames-take-any-more-cost-overruns

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
City, Flames to each put extra $12.5M toward arena, but Flames take any more cost overruns
http://https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/city-flames-to-each-put-extra-12-5m-toward-arena-but-flames-take-any-more-cost-overruns

Get this thing rolling.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 9:06 PM

First Official rendering.

https://twitter.com/JeffDavisonYYC/s...038419975?s=20

Better than a boot.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 1:38 AM
Community Guy

Hamilton is getting a really nice rink!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 3:10 AM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Hamilton is getting a really nice rink!
Savage. It hurts because its true.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 6:28 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Calgary city council approves amendments to the arena deal including more finances.
Now let’s start building this thing!!
http://https://globalnews.ca/news/8067624/city-council-approves-changes-calgary-events-centre-deal/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada