HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Very concerning in Alberta cities growing at a good rate but CFL attendance there is dropping every year , not even 25,000 in Edm on a Friday night to see the return of Mike Reilly ( I know weather there was very cool and rainy all week ) but just a few years ago that matchup is 35,000- 40,000 there . I think part of the problem is with every cities growth with so many “New “ Canadians coming who prefer soccer , basketball, cricket etc the CFL fan base is slowing eroding . Still under 25,000 is not acceptable in a place that routinely would get 35,000 to games .
Simply a sign of the times here in AB. With the new legislation the feds have pushed into law will only make things much worse. Unfortunate really

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Very concerning in Alberta cities growing at a good rate but CFL attendance there is dropping every year , not even 25,000 in Edm on a Friday night to see the return of Mike Reilly ( I know weather there was very cool and rainy all week ) but just a few years ago that matchup is 35,000- 40,000 there . I think part of the problem is with every cities growth with so many “New “ Canadians coming who prefer soccer , basketball, cricket etc the CFL fan base is slowing eroding . Still under 25,000 is not acceptable in a place that routinely would get 35,000 to games .
If that were the case, FC Edmonton and the Stingers would be bringing in far more people than they actually do.

I'm not sure what the issue with Edmonton's attendance has been so far this year, but I don't think "new Canadians" is it. It's very likely people are just feeling the pinch and can't afford to go to games.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 1:53 AM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 2:03 AM

Ten years ago who would ever have thought that the two smallest market teams would have the best stadiums in the country.

The stadium building boom we had in Canada was just right, every city seemed to get just the right build for the market, next stop Calgary. I have to confess I am worried about Halifax, CFL team or no. The 12k seat stadium (and CFL expansion) seems like a good way to go but with or without a CFL team I don't know if this city council will ever build any type of decent sized stadium.

Last edited by elly63; Jun 30, 2019 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 2:25 PM

Amazing comeback by the Stamps last night. Reilly did everything for BC and they still lost. Maybe having the best QB’s in the league at $700k is taking too much out of a teams salary cap, with all the good players B.C. and Calgary have lost, these teams are struggling. Still good to see Calgary win, Arrrrrbuckle!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 2:56 PM

First CFL game I watch this year and I expected to be disappointed, great comeback by the second string QB

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 9:38 PM

Schooners finalizing business plan for HRM
Francis Campbell The Halifax Chronicle Herald June 29 2019

The bid to bring the Canadian Football League and a community stadium to Halifax has not moved the ball forward in recent months but behind-the-scenes analysis is expected to heat up after Canada Day.

“Schooners Sports and Entertainment (SSE) is working diligently to finalize a business plan and we anticipate presenting a proposal to senior staff at the Halifax Regional Municipality in the very near term,” Jim Armour, president of Summa Strategies, an Ottawa public relations firm working with SSE, said in an email.

“The proposal will address areas of concern that have been raised by the community and it will be validated by independent, third-party experts.”

SSE is the ownership group that wants to bring a 10th CFL team, the Atlantic Schooners, to Halifax.

Jacques Dube, chief administrative officer for HRM, said Wednesday that his group awaits the full proposal from Schooners Sports.

“We’re waiting for that so that we can start working on the evaluation and the feasibility analysis and the impacts,” Dube said. “That’s about a six-month process. If we get it (proposal) in early July that means we will probably get something before council by December.”

CFL talk regarding Halifax reignited in earnest some two years ago. The ownership group acquired the Atlantic Schooners trademark and approached the league about a conditional franchise. Anthony LeBlanc, former president of the Arizona Coyotes of the National Hockey League and one of three principal owners of SSE, originally projected a 24,000-seat stadium to be built at a cost of $190 million.

The stadium objective was later tempered to 12,000 permanent seats with a capability of adding 12,000 more temporary seats. The adjusted price tag for the community stadium is $130 million.

Through an agreement with Sport Nova Scotia, the stadium could accommodate minor sports when it is not in use for professional football. The field, including an air-inflated dome to cover it in colder months, could serve as a facility for minor soccer, football and rugby associations and school sports for 200 to 300 days a year.

SSE has been negotiating with Canada Lands, the federal Crown corporation tasked with managing and redeveloping surplus military properties, for the purchase of an eight-hectare plot of land in the 33-hectare Shannon Park site by Halifax harbour.

LeBlanc has said that SSE will be heavily involved on the financial side of the stadium and will take on the operational costs. The proposed municipal financial contribution would come from a public financing plan used as a subsidy for redevelopment, infrastructure and debt financing. A Tax Increment Financing plan would have some of the entire Shannon Park area reallocating funds from property taxes on area developments to pay the stadium's debt charges.

It has been suggested that the province’s financial contribution to a stadium could come in the form of legislative changes to allow HRM to collect car rental fees and hotel room levies.

“There are a lot of moving parts with this one,” Dube said. “There is also a discussion with the province and the private sector and the land owner.”

Chris Millier, real estate director for Canada Lands, said the land being considered for the community stadium is in the northeast portion of the Shannon Park property, adjacent to the railway tracks, land that had been identified primarily for commercial/employment with accessory residential uses in a 2016 park concept plan.

“CLC (Canada Lands) is requiring SSE to undertake public consultation regarding the proposed development of a community stadium,” Millier said by email. “CLC and SSE have entered into a letter of intent that establishes conditions that must be met before a commercial transaction can be considered, including a formal request being made to CLC by Halifax Regional Municipality and the province of Nova Scotia to accommodate the proposed use at Shannon Park.”

Dube said there is a lot of work to be done in terms of determining “any operating impacts on our municipal services – fire, police, transit and everything else.”

"We’re not willing to take on any risk, so we’ve got to put a barrier around, a firewall around the risk factors,” Dube said. “We don’t want to take any construction risk, financial risk, contractual risk in making this work. Hopefully, we’ll get a proposal and get to work on evaluating it.”

Armour said SSE and Canada Lands have engaged a number of world-class organizations to ensure that “we have considered all possible factors in the design, development and operation of a multi-use sports and entertainment facility.”

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
First CFL game I watch this year and I expected to be disappointed, great comeback by the second string QB
I reluctantly surrendered control of the TV at the three minute warning thinking that the game was well in hand at that point... of course I missed the dramatic comeback

I wonder what impact this will have on BLM? This is one of the first times I can think of where he's been shown up like that. Although I might chalk it up to the new QB surprise factor that we've discussed here before as compared to Arbuckle supposedly being a superior QB. But that said, you don't get to be the #7 NCAA DI passer unless you have at least a generous amount of talent, so let the controversy begin.

Argos and Riders square off today, the Riders are so heavily favoured I don't see how the Argos aren't primed for the upset.

Speaking of the Argos, I started watching a couple of the deeestroying youtube videos... man, that is slick. His video from the terrible game vs. Hamilton was really well done. He comes across as a totally likeable guy too... I can see why his videos are so popular.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I reluctantly surrendered control of the TV at the three minute warning thinking that the game was well in hand at that point... of course I missed the dramatic comeback
CFL: Lions vs Stampeders

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:

I wonder what impact this will have on BLM? This is one of the first times I can think of where he's been shown up like that. Although I might chalk it up to the new QB surprise factor that we've discussed here before as compared to Arbuckle supposedly being a superior QB. But that said, you don't get to be the #7 NCAA DI passer unless you have at least a generous amount of talent, so let the controversy begin.

Argos and Riders square off today, the Riders are so heavily favoured I don't see how the Argos aren't primed for the upset.

Speaking of the Argos, I started watching a couple of the deeestroying youtube videos... man, that is slick. His video from the terrible game vs. Hamilton was really well done. He comes across as a totally likeable guy too... I can see why his videos are so popular.
Riders win the games they aren't supposed to and lose the ones they are.

There are 3 ways to win games. The easy way, the hard way, and the Rider way. Guess which is the toughest?

BTW your Bombers tried their best to lose that Thursday game! But I'm glad you won cause nothing makes me happier than to see Edmonton teams fans cry (except Toronto fans of all sports, really love to see them cry!!)

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 10:33 PM

I wouldn't read too much into that Arbuckle performance just yet. Backups have come into games before and lit it up only to falter when they become the starter as other teams tend to learn their tendencies. Hopefully , he does become a good Qb though as the CFL is desperate for quality starters at this point.

I heard Bo might have a torn pectoral muscle. In my brief google search it seems that injury would keep a player out 5-6 months. Pretty devastating for the Stamps if that is true.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 1:01 AM

Delay due to lightning strikes.
Fajardo looking good again today. Granted it’s against the Argos.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 12:10 PM

RIP Gainer

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
RIP Gainer

When did Gainer become a buddy with Walter White?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 12:50 PM

So much for the Argos upset I was predicting... or at least staying within 10. Oh well, this is why I don't bet on the games.

As for Gainer, I think he may have been getting some plastic surgery advice from our good buddy Silvio here

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:40 PM

Prices for TD Atlantic need to be reduced. They are outrageous. $85 for end zone seats, $108 for seats at the back goal line. $138 for seats between the 40s. They have sold a few thousand looking at the chart.

https://www1.ticketmaster.ca/touchdo...005686C4E93914

I wonder if the promoter who set the prices for this is the same one who set the prices for the NFL exhibition game in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Prices for TD Atlantic need to be reduced. They are outrageous. $85 for end zone seats, $108 for seats at the back goal line. $138 for seats between the 40s. They have sold a few thousand looking at the chart.

I wonder if the promoter who set the prices for this is the same one who set the prices for the NFL exhibition game in Winnipeg.
Both games are overpriced and are getting the reception that they deserve. The NFL game in Winnipeg has sold a few thousand in the upper deck (the "cheap" seats) but the lower deck is crazy-empty, less than what Valour FC would draw on a weeknight. I suspect one of two things will happen, either sponsors will scoop up loads of tickets, or there will be sudden group or other promotional specials to fill some seats.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Both games are overpriced and are getting the reception that they deserve. The NFL game in Winnipeg has sold a few thousand in the upper deck (the "cheap" seats) but the lower deck is crazy-empty, less than what Valour FC would draw on a weeknight. I suspect one of two things will happen, either sponsors will scoop up loads of tickets, or there will be sudden group or other promotional specials to fill some seats.
I would not be surprised if this game gets moved to Green Bay. The same guys promoting this tried to do a WHL Winter Classic in Regina last year and cancelled it based on poor ticket sales. Looks like the NFL only fans in Winnipeg can only afford to watch it on TV.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 5:53 AM

Yesterday's Canada Day game in Regina -- SASK vs. TORONTO.
Attendance: 30,141

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 12:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post

I bought four tickets in the west grandstand at the Blue Cross Stadium for TD Atlantic for myself and my three sons on the first day of ticket availability because I wanted good seats for a change (the last three CFL games in Moncton I sat in the end zone).

The four tickets set me back about $560. That's OK, I can afford it, but I was still shocked at the sticker price. I agree that they should reduce ticket price to fill the stands, but then what do you do with people who already bought tickets at inflated prices??????

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada