A City's where I'll die

Nice pics, thank you.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 8:00 AM
Skyriser

Good shots! Thanks HX!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 1:44 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Nice job HX, thank you so much!

I'm not sure how I feel about the plaza and entryway to the new Courthouse, so many damned steps, its crazy. From first blush it doesn't look like the sort of place people will be idling in and enjoying.

It'll be interesting to see what the new plaza that replaces the building to the North looks like. Have we seen any renderings for that yet? It could end up being a really nice connection to Cesar Chavez Plaza.

CityScape continues to disappoint visually, all that blank grey space, I really can't get over it. Either plaster the place in ads, LED billboards, neon, etc. or at the very least add planters that allow a ton of vines to cover that blank space. Its just so damned brutally ugly and embarrassing. That weird metallic "art" on the NW corner just epitomizes how shitty the whole project is design wise.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 3:18 PM
BANNED

I actually think that the Hotel Palomar building looks pretty good in comparison to most other buildings in DT. The design of the plazas is terrible, but I really like the blue and grey.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 4:24 PM

Thanks for the pics HX!

It is good to see the new courthouse... i kind of forget about it. I like all of the steps. If there is one think Phoenix lacks, it's steps. Everything is so flat everywhere.

Does anyone remember what the Irish Cultural Center's new library will look like? I assume they're going to put some kind of stacked stone facade over the masonry block, right? I think that will be pretty cool if so. "Authentic looking" although obviously fake, but something different downtown and a nice use of their property.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 4:50 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^^^ its going to look like this:

I'm worried its going to look horribly fake and cheap, we'll see.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 5:23 PM

/\That looks pretty nice. If it is anything like the buildings already on-site, it may look fake but not necessarily horribly and cheap. Maybe they'll bring in some stone masons from Ireland for the facade.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Nice job HX, thank you so much!

I'm not sure how I feel about the plaza and entryway to the new Courthouse, so many damned steps, its crazy. From first blush it doesn't look like the sort of place people will be idling in and enjoying.

It'll be interesting to see what the new plaza that replaces the building to the North looks like. Have we seen any renderings for that yet? It could end up being a really nice connection to Cesar Chavez Plaza.

CityScape continues to disappoint visually, all that blank grey space, I really can't get over it. Either plaster the place in ads, LED billboards, neon, etc. or at the very least add planters that allow a ton of vines to cover that blank space. Its just so damned brutally ugly and embarrassing. That weird metallic "art" on the NW corner just epitomizes how shitty the whole project is design wise.
Concerning the Many Many steps

I think that they built all them steps there so that some criminal wont be able to RAM their vehicle into one of the judges office. Thats probably why they also built the pillars in front of the steps to deter them even more. Or maybe they (the criminals ) will pass out before climbing that last step,

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 8:27 PM

I love the steps...what I really dislike is the ramp that completely breaks them up. I wish that could have been designed differently.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 9:51 PM
them bones

Always appreciated HX, especially from those of us no longer in the Valley.

I'll be over there in a couple of weeks to take a look at the courthouse myself. I'm curious if the landlord beige EIFS panelling is as bad in reality as it looks in photos. If only they had the money for limestone veneer (unfortunately this was County and not GSA so I can't be too picky). But I digress, it looks like a fairly decent building.

The Palomar continues in these photos to look horribly out of sync.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest