HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 11:43 AM

[QUOTE=fenwick16;4992143]The new office building rendering looks quite good. The article describes it as a 4 storey building but the rendering looks like it has 6 storeys.
[QUOTE]

Just so everyone is clear....the rendering above is not the building that this thread is based on. It is a rendering for an adjacent building, which currently houses the TD bank.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think that I see the Maritime Centre in the background. The new office building rendering looks quite good. The article describes it as a 4 storey building but the rendering looks like it has 6 storeys.

Are the buildings that would have to be demolished from the early 1900's (I can only faintly remember the area - I remember that there were buildings on that side of Spring Garden Road with interesting exteriors).
This is the site of the BMO building on the corner, not the site in question (5496 Spring Garden).

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 2:02 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
This is the site of the BMO building on the corner, not the site in question (5496 Spring Garden).
In which case I am not a fan of this design, because I would prefer any development to incorporate the facade of the BMO building. It is one of the nicer facades in that area, and has the feel of an "old bank building".

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
In which case I am not a fan of this design, because I would prefer any development to incorporate the facade of the BMO building. It is one of the nicer facades in that area, and has the feel of an "old bank building".
While I personally disagree that this is an attactive building (parts of the facade are nice, but not enough that I wouldn't set the charges), I think the building will stay in the short term at least. Westwood owns the BMO/second cup building as well. They were trying to do something with it a couple of years ago, but there were issues with viewplanes, etc. that made developing unattractive. Something will probably happen eventually, but who knows when...

The new TD location though, will be a HUGE improvement over what is currently there. BTW, I've heard that the ink is dry for the TD bank to locate here.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 5:05 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
I think that I see the Maritime Centre in the background. The new office building rendering looks quite good. The article describes it as a 4 storey building but the rendering looks like it has 6 storeys.

Are the buildings that would have to be demolished from the early 1900's (I can only faintly remember the area - I remember that there were buildings on that side of Spring Garden Road with interesting exteriors).
This rendering is for a building on the SGR/Queen corner. The proposal described in the article is for SGR at Birmingham, one block to the west.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
While I personally disagree that this is an attactive building (parts of the facade are nice, but not enough that I wouldn't set the charges), I think the building will stay in the short term at least. Westwood owns the BMO/second cup building as well. They were trying to do something with it a couple of years ago, but there were issues with viewplanes, etc. that made developing unattractive. Something will probably happen eventually, but who knows when...

The new TD location though, will be a HUGE improvement over what is currently there. BTW, I've heard that the ink is dry for the TD bank to locate here.
The relocation of TD is so Westwood can get on with the rest of the BMO block as part of the development. TD was the last piece of the puzzle.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 6:56 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post

Well the part of the facade that I meant was the main BMO entrance. The rest could go away, but that entrance facade is interesting with the ships carved into it etc.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...28.17,,0,15.21

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 9:18 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
This rendering is for a building on the SGR/Queen corner. The proposal described in the article is for SGR at Birmingham, one block to the west.
Edited: Thanks - I found it. I read the article a bit more closely - it is this location - http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=S...352.71,,0,1.31 > There isn't much frontage along Spring Garden Road. It much extend quite far back.

Or this in Bing Maps - http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rf6...%20NS%2C%20B3J

What would we all do without the internet - it would be like going back to the dark ages.

Last edited by fenwick16; Sep 24, 2010 at 9:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 9:42 PM

Quote:
I have attached a Bing maps link - are both proposals for the block between Queen and Birmingham or is one between Birmingham and Dresden Row? http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=rf6...%20NS%2C%20B3J
The original article is for the corner of SG and Birmingham Street right next to the large white building in the Bing map. The rendering I posted is for the corner of SG and Queen one block East. Directly across SG from the site of the new public library.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 9:48 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
The original article is for the corner of SG and Birmingham Street right next to the large white building in the Bing map. The rendering I posted is for the corner of SG and Queen one block East. Directly across SG from the site of the new public library.
Thanks, I read the article again - so it is where "Sock It To Ya" is located. What is the name of the large modern building that is next to. This question shows how long I have been away from Halifax.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 9:50 PM

Here it is.

Located in the heart of HRM's trendiest and most high traffic area, this four storey glass commercial tower will be in the midst of dynamic retail stores, boutiques, coffee shops, dining, and much more.

Visit Spring Garden Area Merchants Association for more up to date information.

Property Description:
- New Construction
- Four Storey Glass Building
- 5,000 square feet on each level
- Located on the highest pedestrian traffic east of Montreal

Source: westwoodgroup.ca

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 9:52 PM

Damn that looks way better than it does now. It's a good height for that area. A few more nicer buildings like this and if they bury the power lines and SGR becomes one of the nicer drags in Canada.

Cheers for the pic.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregor View Post
Here it is.

Located in the heart of HRM's trendiest and most high traffic area, this four storey glass commercial tower will be in the midst of dynamic retail stores, boutiques, coffee shops, dining, and much more.

Visit Spring Garden Area Merchants Association for more up to date information.

Property Description:
- New Construction
- Four Storey Glass Building
- 5,000 square feet on each level
- Located on the highest pedestrian traffic east of Montreal

Source: westwoodgroup.ca
Looks decent

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 9:59 PM
Honored Member

It certainly won't be cheap at $10 million dollars for 20,000 square feet. About $500 per square foot? Did I understand this correctly - 5,000 square feet per floor times 4 floors.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 10:00 PM

very nice

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 10:02 PM

I like the design.

Judging from the floor plan on the website, there are no measurements but the floor grid is 20 units long by 10 units wide. It looks like either one or two of the buildings behind it will come down.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 10:48 PM

I think the design is great - it works well with the adjacent building (where the NFB is) by keeping the roof lines roughly the same.

The green accent works well too.
As for the existing BMO/TD/2nd Cup site; the design shown is certainly different but I think would work well. I'd like to see part of the facade included if possible, but I won't loose sleep over it if it doesn't get included.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 11:00 PM

Nice. All of that glass might almost balance out the brick sea that is the rest of Halifax.

I think the shade of green on the ground level confirms the TD Bank rumour.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 11:39 PM

It's better than what's there, but I have trouble imagining a less imaginative building.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2010, 12:46 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Sort of reminds me of the building at the corner of Sackville and Barrington 50 years later. The one I mean is now a Starbucks. Used to be Tims/Mercury Nightclub.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth