HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 5:34 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForAteOh View Post
^ It takes a lot of power to move trains without diesel or some kind of fuel. All light rail systems, at least all that I'm aware of, run on overhead wires. The live wires have a lot of electricity running through them and need to be safely out of reach of travelers. Heavy rail can run on a 3rd rail because the rails are not close to passengers - station platforms are typically a few feet higher than the rails, and it is rare for these systems to operate at grade.
I know WHY we have the wires, I was just wishing there was a better technology. Like monorail which looks awesome and sleek but unfortunately is extremely expensive.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 11:54 PM

Was there any reason that the light rail was built down Washington? I drove down Washington and Van Buren last night, just to compare the two roads, and it seemed to me that Van Buren had a lot more going on.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 11:11 AM
Desert Urbanite

Mesa is in such a sad, sorry state right now, and it's not getting any better. If there is one city I am ashamed of in the Valley, it's Mesa. A huge suburb bigger than other well-known American cities such a Miami, St. Louis and Minneapolis, the city is seriously straining its public services.

Mesa only has 3 libraries for 442,000 residents, a dull downtown, fire services stretched thin, and buses that don't run on Sundays or past 10pm on weekdays. Blame it to the largest city in America without a property tax. The poor city relies heavily on sales tax revenue to fund all public services. That sad, here is the article:

Mesa may put brakes on Saturday buses and Dial-a-Ride
Gary Nelson
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 24, 2007 12:00 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...il0323Z10.html

Fingers were pointing at Uncle Sam on Thursday morning as a grim Mesa City Council faced the prospect of having to eliminate city bus and Dial-a-Ride service Saturdays starting July 1.

The reason: A budget shortfall created by federal law that one council member described as "not rational."

"I think it's a lousy situation, and I don't have an answer for it," Vice Mayor Claudia Walters said.

Mike James, deputy transportation director, said the city's transit budget faces a two-year deficit of $1.54 million because of an upsurge of people using Dial-a-Ride under the Americans With Disabilities Act.

When Mesa eliminated senior Dial-a-Ride service in August to save money, about 95 percent of those who had been using that service got medical approval to use ADA Dial-a-Ride, James said.

The result was a huge spike in ridership, as much as 33 percent in some months. For the fiscal year ending July 1, that will create a shortfall of about $540,000. For the next fiscal year, the deficit will hit $1 million.

Chuck Odom, Mesa's budget director, said it would be legal for the council to cover the shortfall by moving money from another part of the budget, but that would create hardships elsewhere.

Although Dial-a-Ride is responsible for the budget overrun, the city can't chop that program without also cutting fixed-route bus service.

"We do not have a choice," Walters said. "Under federal law, if we run a fixed-route system, we are required by law to provide ADA Dial-a-Ride services within three-quarters of a mile on either side of that fixed route."

Walters said the average ride could cost the city as much as $32 above the rider's fare.

Councilman Scott Somers wondered whether eliminating Saturday service would just push ridership to other days, but James said people have appointments and jobs on Saturdays that can't be moved, "so we're not anticipating a huge shift" in ridership.

Mayor Keno Hawker said this may not be the last such reductions.

"As long as you have a federal requirement for the ADA within three-quarters of a mile of fixed route systems, eventually you're going to be looking at eliminating fixed-route systems," he said. "You're going do some of it and you're going to do some of them well, but you're not going to have as many fixed routes because of the ADA requirement."

The cutbacks will be discussed by the council's transportation and infrastructure committee in mid- to late April.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2007, 12:02 PM
Skyriser

Jebus. Phoenix barely bats an eye at $1.5 million.

Hopefully, when WGA gets built out (presuming that's really a good thing), Mesa will be able to reap revenue from a new employment hub.

Oh wait. No property tax. No high-$ corporate assessed value. Any jobs above retail are fiscally a bad idea for the city. Can you say bottom feeding?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 11:43 PM
zzzzzzzz

Here's a pic from Valley Metro's website. I heard that for the initial testing of the LRV's they were towing them with a Winnebago or something because the overhead wires weren't powered yet.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 2:07 PM

Nice! Can't wait until those babies are powered on and cruising the street.

ForAteOh - you should post this on the thread in the City Compilations section...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 6:00 AM

Hey guys I'm just curious if anyone knows what the results were of HDR's study of transportation in Scottsdale, in particular transit.
Personally I agree with the libertarians that LRT may not be the best option for Scottsdale, but not for the same reasons they trumpet repeatedly. I believe rail should be placed where people will ride it, and where people will have to ride it. Valley Metro states that the Green Line (Thomas Rd.) is its busiest bus route. Why not build rail for the poor people, when we know they'll use it? I don't understand why Scottsdale residents think they even might should have rail. Let them sit in traffic in their BMWs, see if I care! Poor people pollute more (older cars) so it makes more sense to provide them with more options anyway.
/rant
So I'm interested to see what HDR comes up with for Scottsdale, how much of the currently limited Federal funds the various solutions require, and what Scottsdale's residents' response is.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 5:34 PM
under the influence...

Phoenix continues it's march towards an entirely alt-fuel/low-emissions fleet. Not much longer...

New clean-burning fuel buses make debut

Kellie Hwang
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 19, 2007 09:04 AM

Standard diesel fuel buses are out, clean-burning fuel buses are in.

The Phoenix Public Transit Department introduced its new ultra-low sulfur diesel bus early this morning at the Phoenix Central Station downtown. Passengers en route were welcomed with steaming cups of Starbucks coffee and a sneak peak into one of the new eco-friendly 40-foot buses.Transit officials thought Earth Week was the best time to showcase the new buses, a total of 126 that will be arriving by this October.

"We are just trying to do our part in the making a difference by providing more frequent service and encouraging people to get out of their vehicles," said Debbie Cotton, the public transit director. "When it comes to saving the environment, it is money well spent."

Brandon Weber, a Phoenix resident who rides the bus on a daily basis, was delighted to stop at the event before catching his ride.

"I think it is great they are doing this . . . we need more events like this because it gets people out into town and lets them know what is going on," he said.

Once all the new buses start running, the old diesel fuel buses will be removed bringing the total Valley Metro fleet to 535. The remaining buses not running on the low sulfur fuel use alternative fuel.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2007, 6:24 AM

I think this is tremendously exciting. NEW BUSES!
I wonder which routes tend to use the old buses and how they're going to allocate the new ones. I can't tell you how jealous I've been of the super-nice buses on Mesa's Route 30 and Scottsdale's Routes 72 and 81, so it's totally time for Phoenix to get in on the action.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 7:28 PM

Check out azcentral.com for the article about the proposed South Mountain Freeway. The small, tiresome, vocal group of residents from the world's largest cul-de-sac are threatening to get the feds involved in the freeway debacle. I'm so tired of these NIMBY's! Bulldoze their houses already and get the freeway built. It's not our (the other 4 million residents of the Valley of the Sun) fault they didn't do proper research before purchasing houses that were in the direct path of a future freeway, but there holding everyone else hostage.

Last edited by sundevilgrad; Apr 24, 2007 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 12:03 AM
Skyriser

Putting it on the Gila River Indian reservation makes more sense--like the 101 will be in a few years, there could be the potential for "infill" type office development on both sides. I believe this idea, which the tribe thoroughly shot down before, is getting resurrected by a leadership change in the Indian community.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 12:20 AM
Lurking Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Putting it on the Gila River Indian reservation makes more sense--like the 101 will be in a few years, there could be the potential for "infill" type office development on both sides. I believe this idea, which the tribe thoroughly shot down before, is getting resurrected by a leadership change in the Indian community.
I completely agree. If the GR tribe allowed the freeway to parallel the reservation boundary, but only if they put it about 1/4 mile south of said boundary, it would give them valuable freeway property on both sides of the 202. It would also funnel many more people past their new Casio just to the West of South Mountain. To me it is a no brainer.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarp View Post
I completely agree. If the GR tribe allowed the freeway to parallel the reservation boundary, but only if they put it about 1/4 mile south of said boundary, it would give them valuable freeway property on both sides of the 202. It would also funnel many more people past their new Casio just to the West of South Mountain. To me it is a no brainer.
Will their still be a Tunnel though the western end of South Mountain

Any one got a map of the allignment path of the future Queen Creek Freeway that runs From Santan Freeway to Route 79 ?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:38 PM
Skyriser

^ Its called the Williams Gateway Freeway...basically just doglegs off the 202 just east of the airport, and then makes a straight shot across to
US-60.

Quote:
Will their still be a Tunnel though the western end of South Mountain
It appears as if they're allowed to build on indian land, they get a little better buffer around the mountain. It's possible it could avoid a major cut.

http://www.azdot.gov/Highways/Valley_Freeways/Index.asp

I could be full of shit, but I think the 801, the "I-10 reliever route" was supposed to be just that, a reliever route located just south of the existing I-10 alignment. I sent them in a pretty crude map suggesting that it be moved south closer to the river, and lo and behold that appears how the freeway is panning out.

I hope i'm not giving myself too much undo credit, but sometimes I wonder if sending elected officials an email really gets stuff done on occasion. A little while after I sent Phoenix honchos an email telling them to partner with WGA rather than have WGA eat Sky Harbor for lunch years down the road due to lower costs, Phoenix partnered with WGA otherwise out of the blue.

Last edited by combusean; Apr 24, 2007 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:44 PM

I remember hearing something a while back about turning Northern Ave into an expressway...does anyone know more about this? It seems like a good idea to me, because there aren't nearly enough east-west highways in Phoenix. You can either take the 101 to the far north, or the 10 through downtown. It seems like all the traffic goes to one of these two options and bogs them down. If Northern was a raised expressway between the 17 and 51, it seems that would get a lot of use.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:47 PM

Maybe you're just psychic?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I remember hearing something a while back about turning Northern Ave into an expressway...does anyone know more about this? It seems like a good idea to me, because there aren't nearly enough east-west highways in Phoenix. You can either take the 101 to the far north, or the 10 through downtown. It seems like all the traffic goes to one of these two options and bogs them down. If Northern was a raised expressway between the 17 and 51, it seems that would get a lot of use.
thats like 3 miles... not worth it.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 4:54 PM
Skyriser

I was going to create another thread, but I figured i'd share with you guys a much better Google Maps than is available on maps.google.com

http://www.azcentral.com/maps/popup/

I don't understand why this is, but the Google Maps provided through azcentral is vastly more detailed than the regular one. Altho you don't have directions and business search (not yet at least), you can find out more of the backroads--eg, I didn't know there were so many Indian Routes on the Gila River reservation. It's pretty nifty.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook View Post
thats like 3 miles... not worth it.
Well perhaps it could go from the 51 all the way to the 101s West leg.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 7:17 PM

I think the idea of building freeways in built-up areas where they don't exist has fallen out of fasion. It's true that there are no good means of traveling east or west in North/Central Phoenix, but I don't think this is going to change, ever. Too much protest from neighbors, preservationists, etc. The fuss that Awhataukee residents are putting up about the 202 would be nothing compared with planning and building a new freeway through any neighborhood in Phoenix.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest