HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 3:50 AM
Pacific Wonderland

^^ that first photo is SICK, looks like CG from a movie or something

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 4:23 AM

Does anyone else hope that they install lighting at the top portion of the building where the ventilation vents are? It looks really awkward with 1/3 of the top being in the dark like that. When I watch News4 nbc they have their anchors in front of the downtown skyline and right now at night all you see is the blinking red beacon light at the tippy top and then total darkness until the upper floors start again.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 4:33 AM

I think some renders show an illuminated ventilation vents. The lights might be turned on later as the rest of the lights Ares still just construction lights. I could be wrong though.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGrail View Post
Does anyone else hope that they install lighting at the top portion of the building where the ventilation vents are? It looks really awkward with 1/3 of the top being in the dark like that. When I watch News4 nbc they have their anchors in front of the downtown skyline and right now at night all you see is the blinking red beacon light at the tippy top and then total darkness until the upper floors start again.
Yes, the mechanical floors will eventually be lit by LEDs.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 1:13 PM

This amazing photo was taken by James Kastner (by way of MOSSfull magazine and Reddit). There's something very Coruscant about NYC in this pic.

Reddit link: http://www.reddit.com/r/nyc/comments...er_stands_out/

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 2:06 PM

It is an amazing building in many respects . We focus so much on what's missing (the spire, the original base), that we don't appreciate what we got.

Remember we were very close to getting this kind of uninspired crap at one point:

Or this unworkable mess:

Nothing ever ends exactly as you want and there are always disappointments (and yeah, the spire was a big one), but I think we succeeded more than we failed with One WTC as is, considering all the obstacles in its way.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
This amazing photo was taken by James Kastner (by way of MOSSfull magazine and Reddit). There's something very Coruscant about NYC in this pic.
Beat you to it It's ok though, it's so nice we get to see it twice

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 3:27 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 6:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoRevival View Post
It is an amazing building in many respects . We focus so much on what's missing (the spire, the original base), that we don't appreciate what we got.

Nothing ever ends exactly as you want and there are always disappointments (and yeah, the spire was a big one), but I think we succeeded more than we failed with One WTC as is,
considering all the obstacles in its way.
I think the vast majority of the people understand and appreciate that we got something back on the skyline. However, the disgraceful way in which this came about and continues to unfold
is inexcusable, particularly in light of what this site represents. This is no "mere" disappointment. I could probably show you many more "better" designs than I can "worse", but that's besides the point.

Anyway, an older but awesome photo from ...
https://www.facebook.com/NYonAir

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:

Remember we were very close to getting this kind of uninspired crap at one point:

Or this unworkable mess:

Nothing ever ends exactly as you want and there are always disappointments (and yeah, the spire was a big one), but I think we succeeded more than we failed with One WTC as is, considering all the obstacles in its way.
I totally agree. The current 1WTC is in all honesty quite bland and far from awe-inspiring (and the spire is a downright shame), but at least it isn't hideous, and based on the original concepts we could have done a lot, lot worse. The good thing about all the new WTC buildings is that they blend in with and complement the surrounding skyline, unlike many older concepts which would have destroyed it.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 9:46 PM
don't *meddle*...

1 and 4WTC already look great. Just wait till 2 and 3WTC join the show!

https://www.facebook.com/NYonAir
http://nyonair.com/

New York On Air

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 12:05 AM

NEW YORK | One World Trade Center | 1,787' Pinnacle / 1,373' Roof | 108 FLOORS

I thought of an idea to fix the spire problem. One of the major problems the Port Authority claimed about the spire was that it would be impossible to clean and repair. What I thought would be to attach railings to the side of the spire for a robotic cleaner or person to replace or clean the fiberglass and foam casing, similar to the window washer on the original twin towers.

a very poorly done rendering by me^^

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 1:26 AM

What would everyone give the realized One WTC as a letter-grade? I'd give it a B- as is (with the spire intact I think it would have been upgraded to a B+).

The original Libeskind design would be an F for me, because I believe to this day it would have been impossible to build. It wasn't based in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think the vast majority of the people understand and appreciate that we got something back on the skyline. However, the disgraceful way in which this came about and continues to unfold
is inexcusable, particularly in light of what this site represents. This is no "mere" disappointment. I could probably show you many more "better" designs than I can "worse", but that's besides the point.
Well, that makes it sound like your beef is about something more than the spire. So what are the "better" designs you would have preferred?

I thought pretty much all the entries in the '02/'03 competition, like the THINK skeleton-twins and that weird H-shaped design were uniformally terrible.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 12, 2013 at 8:09 AM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 2:57 AM

Solid B grade for me. The original spire would've looked great in day but the new one looks amazing at night (When it's lit up of course). Overall I think we could've done a lot better and taller but what we get is fine with me. It restores the skyline to what it used to be. The tallest building in NYC doesn't have to be at the World trade Center.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 6:01 AM

Solid "A" from me. Beautiful and powerful, yet elegant building.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 8:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Well, that makes it sound like your beef is about something more than the spire. So what are the "better" designs you would have preferred?

I thought pretty much all the entries in the '02/'03 competition, like the THINK skeleton-twins and that weird H-shaped design were uniformally terrible.
We won't even get into that here, because that's not what this discussion is about. That's ongoing here...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=166333

As far as what I was referencing, if I have to explain it, its probably lost on you anyway.

SVENLW

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
As far as what I was referencing, if I have to explain it, its probably lost on you anyway.

You know what? Not worth it, but I'll just say I'm kind of shocked someone as rude, condescending and unwelcoming towards new posters ever became a mod. I asked a question, but I didn't ask it in a rude way and you should have recripocated that tone instead of acting like you're automatically superior to others (without even knowing a thing about them, like the fact they work for Foster & Partners).

Last edited by ArtDecoRevival; Oct 12, 2013 at 2:25 PM.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 4:29 PM

My latest video from this morning:

By: QUEENSNY121

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrT0m...p_YrtzeCuNTf5A

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 5:42 PM

Not that I give a rat's ass what the CTBUH says, and I know I've said a stick is a stick, but the more I look at that ring and mast the more I think there's no way you can deny they're architectural components of the building.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 7:23 AM
Gigatall Skyscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Did they change the glass on the WFC buildings recently? It looks different in that picture.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive