HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 4:23 AM

[Bedford] 910 Bedford Highway | 36 m | 12 fl | Approved

This is an "oldie" development agreement from 2006 for a 8 storey residential and commercial building at 910 Bedford Highway.

For peoples unfamiliar with Bedford the lot is at the corner of Moirs Mill Road and Bedford Highway just south of Hammonds Plains Road, across from Tim's and the (former) visitor information centre. Its on the inland side from Moirs Pond and is currently home to Hummingbird Medispa.

It is a United Gulf project that, similar to a lot of their projects, was appealed to the NSUARB. The appeallants were angry neighoburs and justly the appeals were overturned so in theory the project can proceed at anytime though I doubt it will. The MediSpa moved into the "building" (trailer really) within the last year and judging by the number of projects on the go for United Gulf right now I doubt this will start construction before the Late 2011 DA deadline unless an extension is granted.

Here is the link for the development agreement; http://www.halifax.ca/commcoun/nwcc/...nts/10.1.2.pdf

Last edited by Dmajackson; Aug 3, 2010 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 2:34 AM

This is what the lot currently looks like;

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 5:08 AM

I'm really getting the feeling the UG developments have bitten off more than they can chew. The same was the fact with Terode here in Calgary; oh what a truely arogant man. He would whine and b*tch at the public hearings when things weren't going his way and could easily get enough people on his side through 'favours' (shall we say). But he wasn't great at managing his money. It got to a point he was going to finance other projects by getting land use on a massive parcel and selling it; but no one would buy it. They are reorganizing under bankruptcy protection; so I'm hopeful the project will still go forward because the one tower just looks odd!

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 5:47 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I remember this development. This is an important corner in this part of Bedford and it should definitely have something bigger on it. Unfortunately they should have put the commercial component closer to the sidewalk and parking next to it. The current site layout is very uncreative and strip mall-like.

I don't know what state United Gulf is in. Obviously, they've had trouble with the Waterton and at this point I don't actually expect to see the towers downtown, although who knows. They also have project in Hammonds Plains. I think they've said in the past they planned to move on to the TexPark after the Waterton - I'm guessing they didn't expect it to be such a long process.

The Papermill Lake is another United Gulf development that's been planned for years. I don't think construction has started on that one.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I remember this development. This is an important corner in this part of Bedford and it should definitely have something bigger on it. Unfortunately they should have put the commercial component closer to the sidewalk and parking next to it. The current site layout is very uncreative and strip mall-like.

I don't know what state United Gulf is in. Obviously, they've had trouble with the Waterton and at this point I don't actually expect to see the towers downtown, although who knows. They also have project in Hammonds Plains. I think they've said in the past they planned to move on to the TexPark after the Waterton - I'm guessing they didn't expect it to be such a long process.

The Papermill Lake is another United Gulf development that's been planned for years. I don't think construction has started on that one.
And they were also going to do the YMCA towers on Lake Banook.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2010, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
And they were also going to do the YMCA towers on Lake Banook.
And they are also responsible for the MSVU Motherhouse debacle.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 11:42 PM

This project's development agreement has expired and in the months past nothing has come up to renew or extend the timeline so this is officially cancelled.

Moderators please change the thread title to; [Bedford] Moirs Place | 30 m | 8 fl | Cancelled

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 12:10 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Normally I think it would be "on hold" unless the developer announces that they no longer intend to move forward with the proposal.

Too bad. This is a nice site.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 7:29 PM

So apparently United Gulf has been trying to move forward with this project but bureaucracy has slowed them down (if you believe what they say nowadays).

Case 18108 Details

Sorry for jumping the gun on this one btw. I read the DA a while back and even though it said five-years I forgot it is from the time of signing and not approval.

Last edited by Dmajackson; Sep 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 7:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I wish there was some stronger planning direction in some of the suburban commercial centres, like around Moirs Mill or Sunnyside Mall. There's such a lost opportunity with development in these areas.

Another problem with this area is that they haven't resolved what real transit Bedford will get, or whether or not it will have decent transit service. As the years go by more and more of these opportunity sites will be filled with auto-oriented development and important buildings will be scattered around haphazardly, making future planning and TOD a lot more difficult.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 2:51 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I saw a rendering for this in ANS. It looks quite nice. There's lots of glass, some wood coloured cladding, and a "V"-shaped roof similar to the Vic apartments.

Unfortunately there seems to be basically zero attention paid to the pedestrian environment. The rendering shows the Bedford Highway sidewalk and bus stop with the building in behind, but there's no way to get to it directly on foot. I guess at best they'll have the usual curb cut with one small, inconvenient sidewalk and a basic parking lot. The city really needs to get better about this stuff. I understand that in the suburbs many people will drive, but there's a lot of "low-hanging fruit" when it comes to improving the pedestrian environment.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 2:00 AM

Developer requests two-year extension on Bedford project
September 21, 2012 - 8:35pm BY REMO ZACCAGNA BUSINESS REPORTER

Quote:
The developer of a proposed multi-use building on the Bedford Highway, pictured above in a conceptual representation, has requested a two-year extension on the completion of the project.
A $19-million, mixed-use project in Bedford is on hold pending clarification from regional council on a five-year-old development agreement, according to the developer.

United Gulf Developments Ltd. signed a development agreement on Dec 6, 2007, to build an eight-storey, mixed-use building on four properties at the south corner of Bedford Highway and Moirs Mill Road, where Hummingbird MediSpa is currently located

Read More: thechronicleherald.ca

It is like a cross of Vic Apartments and Habitat '67 isn't it?

At the very end of the article it states United Gulf's office will move into this building once completed. This raises my hope of it being high quality.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2012, 3:30 AM
we built this city

That is an attractive rendering... very Halifax, but it doesn't seem too tack.

Gives me a Thunderbirds type feel though, its almost ridiculous, but not quite.

Its less conservative than the Vic.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 2:47 AM

Just another angle of the before photo (photo taken by me);

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:01 AM

An amendment was approved to extend the Development Agreement by ONE YEAR after signing. So it's pretty much either start this year or bust.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 7:56 PM

Source : unitedgulf.ca

No update on a potential construction start date. The DA extension that was approved this year was for ONE year.

Website

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 2:15 AM

Not sure if these are newer or older renderings, but this wasn't always on the Fowler Bauld & Mitchell site.

Source: Fowler Bauld & Mitchell

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 4:31 PM

United Gulf has yet again applied to HRM Planning for a two-year extension of this development agreement.

Staff Report

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 11:16 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Is this company solvent?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2014, 1:10 AM

United Gulf must be looking for money, this is up for sale:

910 Bedford Higway

Last edited by kph06; Oct 2, 2014 at 11:51 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs