HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That’s true in that it would create much more traffic.
The word "traffic" means the movement of cars, people, etc. The word "traffic" in and of itself does not mean a lot of cars, people, etc.

Improve - to enhance, ameliorate, make better! "Improve" does not mean to increase.

It seems roundabouts aren't the only thing you have difficulty navigating?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 11:28 PM

There is signage up where Chain of Lakes Trail crosses Hobson Lake Drive.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 2:38 AM
Halifax Promoter!

What about Costco?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 2:25 AM

Construction permit issued for a commercial building at 224 Hobsons Lake Drive. It's listed at $1.7 million and is on a small lot where Hobsons Lake Drive meets Chain of Lakes Trail. It will be a 10'000 sq ft office building.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 3:54 PM

Does anyone know what the plan is for the area behind the Kent? The only information I can find is a few years old.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 3:02 PM

The area directly behind Kent is still in 'urban reserve' status and can't be developed. The new section starts behind Staples.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 5:41 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I was forever hopeful that Lacewood Drive would eventually be straightened out at that Costco Bubble/Turn onto Chain Lake Drive and continue through to the north of Kent, but judging by the comment just made, this doesn't seem likely....

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 1:33 AM

That land is still in negotiations regarding it's future use which is a highly contested topic because of Birch Cove - Blue Mountain Regional Park.

If approved as presented in 2016 Facilitator's Report the Chain Lake and Lacewood bend would be replaced by a four-way intersection.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2021, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
That land is still in negotiations regarding it's future use which is a highly contested topic because of Birch Cove - Blue Mountain Regional Park.

If approved as presented in 2016 Facilitator's Report the Chain Lake and Lacewood bend would be replaced by a four-way intersection.
Have they provided any further updates on this/indications on which way they are leaning for approval. The linked report is quite dated, population growth has outstripped even "high growth" scenarios of the time that this report was made. Housing is a huge issue, if there is a place to build another suburb like this it is here, minimal costs in regards to road and great transportation links to downtown/bayers lake. Seems like a no brainer to me for location. I am also of the opinion that the park as outlined is big enough and there is no need for the city to pursue purchasing this land at now even higher prices just to increase the size of an already large park.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 6:39 PM

Anybody have some info on all the new land being readied for development on the new part of Susie Lake Crescent?

This is suppose to be where the new Costco will be built.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2021, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
This is suppose to be where the new Costco will be built.
What new Costco?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 12:55 PM

Costco is suppose to moving to a new bigger store in this new part of Bayers Lake:

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 2:07 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Costco is suppose to moving to a new bigger store in this new part of Bayers Lake:

I have shopped at the Costco's in Florida and they have a similar layout to the more modern Dartmouth store. The Halifax Store doesn't have the efficient layout of the other stores, it also feels smaller. As well, there isn't any room for a Gas Bar, which I believe has been approved but can't be built there... I can't imagine them building the store until proper road access is in place though. Current road access is not direct to that area and I can't see them happy with that. The proposed re-allignment of Lacewood and Chain Lake Drive would have to be done first.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Costco is suppose to moving to a new bigger store in this new part of Bayers Lake[/IMG]
Has that been announced somewhere? I can't find much reference to it online, except for a lot of speculation.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I have shopped at the Costco's in Florida and they have a similar layout to the more modern Dartmouth store. The Halifax Store doesn't have the efficient layout of the other stores, it also feels smaller. As well, there isn't any room for a Gas Bar, which I believe has been approved but can't be built there... I can't imagine them building the store until proper road access is in place though. Current road access is not direct to that area and I can't see them happy with that. The proposed re-allignment of Lacewood and Chain Lake Drive would have to be done first.
The Halifax store began life as a Price Club, which explains why it has a different layout. Price Club and Costco merged in the '90s and Costco eventually rebranded all of the old Price Club stores.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
The Halifax Store doesn't have the efficient layout of the other stores, it also feels smaller. As well, there isn't any room for a Gas Bar, which I believe has been approved but can't be built there.

Yes, that store was built as a Price Club, before the merger with Costco, and the size and layout show it. It's pretty much bursting at the seams too.

I don't understand how it would make sense for Costco to open a gas bar in NS as long as the current price regulation scheme is in effect. Unlike NB, NS sets a minimum price, so there's no way for them to undersell other gasoline retailers - which is the whole raison d'être of Costco gas bars.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
I don't understand how it would make sense for Costco to open a gas bar in NS as long as the current price regulation scheme is in effect. Unlike NB, NS sets a minimum price, so there's no way for them to undersell other gasoline retailers - which is the whole raison d'être of Costco gas bars.
NS allows promotional discounts, I'm guessing "members only" would qualify.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
NS allows promotional discounts, I'm guessing "members only" would qualify.
That's an interesting angle to look into. When I have a few minutes I'll do that.

But the whole premise of regulation in NS (at least according to the politicians who foisted it on us) was to protect dealers' margins. Allowing Costco to undercut them every day of the year would seem to run counter to that.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 8:14 PM

Wilson's offers a discount for cash, which seems odd to me as there are very real costs associated with cash sales.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Wilson's offers a discount for cash, which seems odd to me as there are very real costs associated with cash sales.
Is it exclusive to hard, physical cash, or any "not credit card" cash?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs