HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 8:58 PM
Kodachrome

Sacramento: EPIC Tower Project 50 Story 638’

Sacramento: EPIC Tower Project 50 Story 638’
50-story 638-foot tall building
694,380 gross square-foot
354 residential
65,380 gsf of retail and office uses
413 parking spaces
Danial Libeskind Design

The DRAFT EIR was finished July 2006
50-story mixed-use

The two towers in this rendering at the foot of Capitol have been canceled

INTRODUCTION
The proposed EPIC Tower project (proposed project) would be located on an approximately 40,000 square foot (sf) lot in downtown Sacramento and would be developed with a mix of residential, office, and retail uses. The proposed project is a 50-story mixed-use high-rise building with associated amenities.

The proposed project is a 694,380 gross square-foot mixed-use residential, office, and retail development. The proposed project includes the construction of a 50-story 638-foot tall building. The first floor would contain retail uses, such as a restaurant and café, the second through fifth floors would include office and retail uses, with the remaining floors dedicated for residential uses. The project includes 354 residential one and two bedroom condominium units, two guest apartments, a total of 65,380 gsf of retail and office uses, and 413 parking spaces to accommodate the building tenants and the office space. Building amenities include a small gym, locker rooms, outdoor pools, office space, guest apartments, terrace area, wine cellar, entertainment suite, and other tenant amenities. Parking would be provided on floors one through six in a parking structure located at the rear of the building accessible from I Street and the alley off 12th Street. The first floor would also include the tenant entrance and reception area and storage areas for the tenants.

The exterior building materials include a blue tinted glass in a clear aluminum frame for a majority of the building elevation. At approximately the 20th floor (240-feet), the building has been designed to extend over the public right-of-way on 12th Street to provide the required clearance for RT. This portion of the building would extend out nine feet three inches from the 20th floor to the top of the tower (638-feet).

Primary vehicular access to the parking garage would be provided via I Street and off 12th Street onto the alley, as shown in Figure 2-4 landscape plan. Access to the loading dock and trash area would be via a public alley off 12th Street. Pedestrian and visitor access would be along I Street. The project proposes to include street lights along 12th Street and I Street as well along the alley off 2th Street and I Street, as well as security lights and building lights. New landscaping and ecorative paving would be installed around the project site and 1 percent of the total construction cost of the project would be dedicated for public art.

Project Approvals
As a public agency principally responsible for approving the proposed project, the City of
Sacramento is considered the Lead Agency under CEQA. The City of Sacramento has the authority to either approve or reject the project. In addition to certification of the EIR, additional entitlements have been requested for the proposed project. The proposed project would require the following approvals:

City of Sacramento
• Environmental Determination: Environmental Impact Report;
• Mitigation Monitoring Plan;
• Tentative Map to merge parcels to designate the site for condominium use;
• Special Permit to construct 354 condominium units in the C-3-SPD zone;
• Special Permit for a Major Project over 75,000 gross square feet in the C-3-SPD zone;
• Variance to reduce maneuvering width in the parking garage; and
• Variance to reduce the required setback for a portion of the building along I Street.

The exterior building materials include a blue tinted glass in a clear aluminum frame for a majority of the building elevation. At approximately the 20th floor (240-feet), the building has been designed to extend over the public right-of-way on 12th Street to provide the required clearance for RT. This portion of the building would extend out nine feet three inches from the 20th floor to the top of the tower (638-feet).

Site Preparation
To accommodate the proposed project, this portion of the block would be cleared, including removal of the existing surface parking lot and associated landscaping and lights. A total of 11 trees in the interior of the site would be removed. The existing trees along 12th Street and I Street would remain and would be protected during construction. The building foundation would sit atop a foundation system, consisting of piles driven into the ground to a depth of between 55 and 75 feet. The actual depth of piles would be determined based upon the performance of test piles. The project proposes to uses a torque screw displacement steel pile method to construct the building foundation. This
method does not create the pounding or vibration associated with a “driven” pile system. The noise associated with the torque screw method is similar to noise produced by a passing City bus. During project construction access to the alley would be maintained at all times. Construction equipment in use would be stored on-site while other construction equipment would be temporarily housed off-site within 2 miles of the project site.

Project Background
The project site includes a total of five parcels on the corner of 12th and I Streets, all previously entitled for development (APN 006-0051-013 through 006-0051-017). On January 16, 1979, the City Council approved a Special Permit (P8421) for a Major Project to develop a 128,284 square foot (sf), five-story office building with 50 parking spaces on the proposed project site. The building was never constructed. On October 6, 1992, the City Council approved the River Tower project (P89-186/DR92-172). The project involved construction of a 34-story, 505,605 sf office building with ground floor retail and 825 parking spaces. An application (P94-099) was filed to extend the Special
Permit approval for the River Tower project by two years, however; the building was never constructed.

In March 2000, an application was filed to construct a 105-space, surface parking lot
(P00-037/DR00-038). The application was withdrawn in September 2000 and a City-owned surface parking lot was constructed as a City capital improvement plan project. The approximately 110- space surface parking lot is currently in operation and would be removed to accommodate the proposed project. The current application (P05-138) was filed with the City in August 2005.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2007, 10:18 PM

Looks great! I am hoping you posted this Innov8 because you have news that Aura is going up and Epic is following?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 1:32 AM

This is a really beautiful building. But, given Aura's current uncertain future, what are the realistic chances of this building going up in the next few years?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2007, 2:11 AM
Here we stAy

Did the old thread get pruned?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 5:36 AM

Sac definately needs a signature tower like this one. However, is there a market for Epic and Capitol Grand? If these projects do happen, I would have to say it will be beyond 2008-09

Old Posted Jul 30, 2007, 8:01 AM
Angry Sober

Very nice! Looking forward to hopefully seeing this tower get built.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 9:16 PM
Kodachrome

Two developers vying to lure hotel chain to Sacramento
By Jon Ortiz of The Sacramento Bee
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
http://www.sacbee.com/749/story/350687.html

Two developers with a history of competition are in talks with InterContinental Hotels Inc. to partner with them on rival condo-hotel towers each wants to build in downtown Sacramento.

Denver-based developer Craig Nassi said that he is "close" to signing a deal with the luxury hotelier for Epic, a high-rise he envisions for 12th and I streets.

Local developer John Saca didn't return calls seeking comment about how InterContinental might fit into his 10th and J streets tower, The Metropolitan, but Sacramento business observers confirmed he has talked to the British firm about a deal.

"What we're hearing is that John has spoken with them," said Michael Ault, executive director of the Downtown Sacramento Partnership. Steve Hammond, president and CEO of the city's Convention & Visitors Bureau also said that Saca, who signed Intercontinental to his Towers condo project on Capitol Mall before it failed earlier this year, hopes to renew his partnership with the company.

John Lee, InterContinental's western region vice president, declined to comment about either project. "Sacramento is a target market for us," he said, "and we'd love to be in the city."

The InterContinental Hotels & Resorts chain is part of the larger InterContinental Hotels Group PLC based in Berkshire, England. It operates the InterContinental Mark Hopkins hotel in San Francisco and owns the Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express chains, among others.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 9:20 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Wait Nassi is the developer? It's as good as dead.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 11:02 PM

This is interesting news, with where Aura is, I can't believe Nassi is even looking to what he is going to be doing with Epic.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2007, 11:46 PM
Finger Lickin' Good.

Eh, there's hope. He might have to toss Aura out the window and start over with Epic, and not underestimate the costs this time. I can see it working out.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 10:29 PM
Kodachrome

Perpetual dream state
Sacramento Business Journal - September 21, 2007

Developer Craig Nassi can't drum up the equity needed to build his Aura condo project, and Sacramento's withdrawal of a $10 million loan offer makes the job next to impossible in today's tapped-out lending market. But that hasn't deterred the brash developer from pushing his next Sacramento project, "Epic," a 50-story mixed-use tower at 1215 I St. If built, it would be the city's tallest building ("if built" is a popular caveat these days).

Nassi's BCN Development recently requested the city begin processing the application again after it had been held indefinitely. The city's Design Commission looked over the project Wednesday. One source close to the development said Nassi might feel the mixed-use aspect, such as offices or a hotel, might make the project more viable than Aura. No word yet on whether Nassi will ask for city funds or request building permits be expedited, as he did with Aura, where no dirt has moved.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 1:48 AM

Yeah maybe he can team up with Moe......so does he own this land yet either?????

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 9:29 PM
Kodachrome

New rendering:

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 1:00 PM
Not far from Disneyland

I hope this one gets built. It would be a really nice addition to the Sacramento skyline.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:51 PM

As much as I'd love to see this built, I cannot fathom that it'd be financially possible now, or even in the near future.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 4:53 PM
Kodachrome

$400K to design a high rise? Would you believe $300K? $200K?
Sacramento Business Journal

Friday, November 2, 2007

The break between Craig Nassi and the architects on his proposed Epic condo tower in downtown Sacramento didn't come out of the clear blue sky.

Nassi had twice bargained down the fee owed to Studio Daniel Libeskind and Stantec Consulting Inc. for the tower he hoped to build at 12th and J streets before the designers ended their agreement for non-payment, the design team said.

Nassi, of BCN Development in Denver, last paid $187,000 in 2005 for the design and owed about $400,000 for later work, according to a letter from a lawyer representing the designers. He got a reduction to $300,000, then to $200,000 paid in installments over eight weeks, but failed to deliver, the letter said. That led the designers to pull the plug last month, which in turn led to yanking the application.

Nassi said Epic isn't dead, just on hold. "We don't feel comfortable spending a lot of money on architecture and design when we don't know if we'll ever be able or when we'll be able to do this project," he said. He said he's an expert in financing such projects and "the financing's not there ... right now."

Libeskind was also the architect on the proposed Aura condo tower.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 4:26 AM

Nassi=Moe in a new suit......

I think Sac is lucky he didnt start construction and basically deault on his bills and have a 5 story structure part way out of the ground.......this guy is useless.....

I hope Libeskind wins his lawsuit and bankrupts this crook

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive