HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 7:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

now keep that Las Vegas route year-round.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 9:59 PM

Those are great flight times.

2pm depart and on the return 5pm pacific time depart, home at midnight.

hope a couple more days are added ie Fri/Mon.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 10:25 PM

Swoop added YYZ to ORD and JFK. I would have loved to see these from YHM

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
Swoop added YYZ to ORD and JFK. I would have loved to see these from YHM
99.99% sure they were only added to compete with flair, especially given the flight times are nearly identical between the two airlines.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 3:30 PM

Flight numbers

Does anyone know what the daily or weekly flight movements will be at YHM during the summer? Just wondering with the new routes if this will be more than pre-pandemic numbers, which was around 14 flights a day I think. Peak I think I saw 16 flights. I just hope swoop isn't competing YHM against YYZ, feels like YYZ will steal passenger loads from YHM. The apron will be tight with all the additional cargo, especially when Cargojet gets the 777's. Heard cargojet is currently storing containers where swoop parks their planes by the terminal.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamAviMech View Post
I just hope swoop isn't competing YHM against YYZ, feels like YYZ will steal passenger loads from YHM.
In an update to the city last fall, the president of Swoop, Charles Duncan stated that YHM and YYZ are two totally different markets and don't really compete with each other. He stated then and has stated since that Hamilton is an important part of their system. Their three hubs are YEG (the biggest), YHM and YYZ.

From a resent press release:

Quote:
flights from its three main Canadian bases in Toronto, Hamilton, and Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
who in the heck is flying to Deer Lake? Seems like an odd choice.
It seemed to be quite a popular destination for Newfoundlanders and visitors before the pandemic.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 4:30 AM

Some land sales and investment companies in article

https://renx.ca/hamilton-airport-flu...s-development/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 3:47 PM

Saw this as well on twitter. Build off of East Cargo Rd by the Furl farm and Cargojet. https://twitter.com/UrbnSoHamilton/s...DrzBEezpw&s=19

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 5:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

WestJet Group to acquire Sunwing Vacations and Sunwing Airlines

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2...nwing-airlines

I wonder if WestJet just plans to rename Sunwing to Swoop.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 7:44 PM
Ham-burgher

Sunwoop. Swooping. Swoop-oop-e-doop.

West-wing

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 3:55 AM

Westjet

Looks like they updated their summer schedule and frequencies.

CALGARY ongoing
Summer: 11x weekly (down from pre-pandemic 14/15)
1x Daily: Tue,Thu,Sat
2x Daily: Mon,Wed,Fri,Sun

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 3:35 AM

Lynx Air is coming to Hamilton!

note this was looked while they were uploading flight so frequencies might change
CALGARY starts June 29, 2022
July: Wed,Sun
August: Mon,Wed,Fri,Sun

HALIFAX starts June 29, 2022
July/August: Wed,Sun

This will bring competition, especially on the YYC route and will finally lower the fares on that Westjet cannibalized route!

Last edited by JakeLRS; Mar 17, 2022 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 4:39 AM

I'm curious to see what passenger counts are in the coming years and if they will result in a renewed push for terminal expansion. My partner mentioned that when she travelled out in the before times, it was packed. That was the year they nearly hit 1 million passengers. I can't see YHM hitting far above 1 million annual passengers before people avoid it because of the crowdedness. Their old masterplan which included growth for the terminals and taxiways has been taken down from the website, so perhaps they are reevaluating.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I'm curious to see what passenger counts are in the coming years and if they will result in a renewed push for terminal expansion. My partner mentioned that when she travelled out in the before times, it was packed. That was the year they nearly hit 1 million passengers. I can't see YHM hitting far above 1 million annual passengers before people avoid it because of the crowdedness. Their old masterplan which included growth for the terminals and taxiways has been taken down from the website, so perhaps they are reevaluating.
Based on how things are looking up this year, I believe we'll be sitting around 700-900k passenger movements this year, especially with an increase in summer flying. We'll wait and see.

The addition of Lynx might cause Westjet to bump up their YYC flights.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 12:04 PM

Bigger apron needed for cargo

They need to expand the terminal for sure and also have room for concessions. Almost no options for food.I heard that the airport is looking at expanding the apron out to where the old runway used to be(where they stored the old 727s'). Currently gates are being used to store cargo containers. With the 777s' entering the fleet and more 767s coming this year, the apron will be tight with the current layout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 12:52 PM

Even a terminal the scale of YTZ would be a huge improvement. YTZ handles about 3,000,000 passengers a year comparatively - they use much smaller planes so need more gates, but it would be a good comparison of what a reasonable size terminal for YHM could look like.

Parking is also starting to be an issue at the airport from my understanding - I wonder how that will be handled. YHM jacked their parking rates way, way up about a year ago to try to handle demand.. but that's a temporary solution. Ultimately it's quite challenging to access the airport without parking, as transit access is pretty poor, especially for regional access.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 1:00 PM
Ham-burgher

At what point does a terminal rebuild need to happen, vs. the piecemeal additions/renos that have been done?

You'd have to think as various sections of the facility need to be enlarged, there's only so much that can be done. So do they build half a new terminal on the west or east side of the current one, use it for current operations, then demo and build on the existing footprint to provide the capacity for growth? Or does a completely new building in a different part of the airfield make more sense (with more costs re: access roads, parking garage, new apron and taxiways, etc.)

Old Posted Apr 19, 2022, 9:09 PM
It's Hammer Time

Amazon opens Hamilton warehouse, announces 3 more Ontario warehouses

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...lton-1.6423335

Amazon opened a robotics sortable fulfilment centre in Hamilton on Tuesday and announced plans to open three more Ontario facilities by the end of 2023.

The company says it will have a robotics sortable fulfilment centre in Ottawa, a sorting centre in Whitby, and a fulfilment centre in Southwold, which is near London, Ont.

All four centres are set to create 4,500 "safe" jobs, according to Amazon, with at least 1,500 at the Hamilton plant.

"The building we are in today is the most technologically advanced fulfilment centre of Amazon in Canada " said Vibhore Arora, Amazon Canada's regional director of customer fulfilment.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford, Ontario job minister Vic Fedeli, Hamilton Mayor Fred Eisenberger and Donna Skelly, Conservative MPP for Flamborough-Glanbrook, praised the new centre.

Skelly said as many as 4,000 people may work at the warehouse during peak times and said the Amazon jobs may offer people extra flexibility.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 12:13 AM

Cargojet is investing in eight Boeing 777 passenger planes that will be converted to a pure cargo configuration, quadrupling its original order.

DHL will be the initial customer for Cargojet’s B-777s, which will be deployed in late 2023 or early 2024 with all planes delivered by the end of 2025.

There will be four B-777-300 and four B-777-200s. The freighters will have 80% more space than the B-767s.

Cargojet has purchased six additional B-757 aircraft, with five to be delivered this year and one in 2023. It also bought six B-767-300 aircraft, half of which will be converted in 2022 and the other half next year.

Cargojet disclosed in a call with analysts that it will provide DHL with four 777s. The other four 777s already have customer requests.

Cargojet expects to grow to 47 aircraft by the end of 2024.

There are rumours at the airport that Cargojet will build a new very large hanger north of their present hangers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure