HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 3:02 AM

Not at all. More like the dilapidated low rises on both the eastern and western ends of Market Street, the Children's Place building across from 2 Liberty, etc.

But also was just being realistic; that it's much more likely for developers to buy and raze buildings such as the examples I shared above before they start knocking down wholly functionable high rises (however ugly it is).

Surely I agree that it's one of the first high rise buildings I'd choose to replace along with some of the neighboring nondescript Penn Center buildings. Honestly, I don't know - I guess they can reskin and go residential but it's just such a boring ass building.

Other nominations I'd love to see replaced in a fantasy world are the Rittenhouse Claridge and its equally offensive neighbor. Those two buildings are unworthy of taking up space on the City's most prestigious real estate.

Last edited by McBane; Apr 20, 2022 at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Not at all. More like the dilapidated low rises on both the eastern and western ends of Market Street, the Children's Place building across from 2 Liberty, etc.

But also was just being realistic; that it's much more likely for developers to buy and raze buildings such as the examples I shared above before they start knocking down wholly functionable high rises (however ugly it is).

Surely I agree that it's one of the first high rise buildings I'd choose to replace along with some of the neighboring nondescript Penn Center buildings. Honestly, I don't know - I guess they can reskin and go residential but it's just such a boring ass building.

Other nominations I'd love to see replaced in a fantasy world are the Rittenhouse Claridge and its equally offensive neighbor. Those two buildings are unworthy of taking up space on the City's most prestigious real estate.
Yea the way things are trending, it's far more likely that those ugly Rittenhouse Square buildings are demolished before 1701 Market.

There's just nothing really special about 1701 Market that can't be achieved elsewhere in Center City if you're talking about building an office building, and if you're converting to residential, it's hard to imagine it would be worth the expense of knocking it down to go taller.

Rittenhouse Sq is unique and incredibly desirable and those buildings are clearly woefully outdated. The premium of being on the square is what makes it possible for someone to think it's worth tearing them down.

Do you know if they're rentals or condos? If they're rentals, with the Laurel heading towards completion, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we saw the demolition of at least one of these buildings in the next decade.

I don't think we're particularly close to the need to knock down any other functional highrises.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Yea the way things are trending, it's far more likely that those ugly Rittenhouse Square buildings are demolished before 1701 Market.

There's just nothing really special about 1701 Market that can't be achieved elsewhere in Center City if you're talking about building an office building, and if you're converting to residential, it's hard to imagine it would be worth the expense of knocking it down to go taller.

Rittenhouse Sq is unique and incredibly desirable and those buildings are clearly woefully outdated. The premium of being on the square is what makes it possible for someone to think it's worth tearing them down.

Do you know if they're rentals or condos? If they're rentals, with the Laurel heading towards completion, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we saw the demolition of at least one of these buildings in the next decade.

I don't think we're particularly close to the need to knock down any other functional highrises.
I think both of those are condos. I don't think they're going anywhere for a while.

Quote:
All of those low rises are destined to be cleared out of there one day, but I wouldn't exactly call them dilapidated. They're still in use and maintained well enough, and they'll all be redeveloped in due time.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 1:17 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post

I agree that those 2 Rittenhouse buildings, while ugly, aren't going away. They are condos and the square is full of NIMBY's. We all saw how long it took to get The Laurel going, and that was a vacant lot.

The most we could hope for is re-skinning the facades, which could turn out well.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I agree that those 2 Rittenhouse buildings, while ugly, aren't going away. They are condos and the square is full of NIMBY's. We all saw how long it took to get The Laurel going, and that was a vacant lot.

The most we could hope for is re-skinning the facades, which could turn out well.
The Rittenhouse Claridge was built in the 50’s and has no style. However, the adjacent one, Parc Rittenhouse, was built in 1925 and if you look closely has terra cotta ornamentation. That one shouldn’t go away. However, I agree, there are many on the square that should be reskinned.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 2:51 PM

No, no Parc Rittenhouse is decent enough. I was talking about the Savoy. I didn't mean next door neighbor, sorry for the confusion. The Savoy and Claridge do not belong on our most prestigious address. If they're rentals, it's much easier to do but condos are tough because everyone has to agree to be bought out.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 3:22 PM

Quote:
No, no Parc Rittenhouse is decent enough. I was talking about the Savoy. I didn't mean next door neighbor, sorry for the confusion. The Savoy and Claridge do not belong on our most prestigious address. If they're rentals, it's much easier to do but condos are tough because everyone has to agree to be bought out.
Gotcha. Oh yeah totally. Would be cool if they added some height and reskinned them to look like some of the newer deco/neoclassical luxury buildings in NYC that actually turned out pretty well.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
Gotcha. Oh yeah totally. Would be cool if they added some height and reskinned them to look like some of the newer deco/neoclassical luxury buildings in NYC that actually turned out pretty well.
Robert AM Stern and Studio Sofield are two of my favorite architecture firms right now.

Stern did the Alexander here, but Sofield has yet to do anything outside of New York IIRC. Would love to see them do a project near Rittenhouse or Old City.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 12:18 PM

Saturday:

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

IDK, reskinning would cost a lot and I don't anticipate residents wanting to foot that bill. I would imagine it would be an inefficient way to raise the value of their condos, which I'm sure is all they care about.

Think it's actually more likely someone with plans for a really tall residential building buys everyone out at a premium and knocks it down. The idea that the residents would ever pay to reskin the building seems to have no chance of happening. It looks like they haven't even replaced the windows in 70 years and that's something that actually affects the look and comfort of the actual units.

But yea agree with the general consensus that if they're condos they're not going anywhere anytime soon. Which is fine. Again, not many cities are knocking down fully functional, fully occupied high rises. Still a lot more low hanging fruit around.

On a more on topic note, I walked by 2222 Market this weekend and it looks nice. Hard not to be disappointed though that so many of the interesting details from the original renders were removed. Oh well, it's still a great improvement.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 11:11 PM
Fishtown & Country

4/30

Old Posted May 14, 2022, 9:18 PM

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 12:02 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

[QUOTE=blart;9613028]4/30

The fact that that little bar did not sell out or at least try to get space in the new building is a shame.

Why be petty and not allow MARKET st to grow. it's not like this is Oldcity it's a main commercial corridor.

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 1:24 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
That bar/bldg looks so out of place now. And the color contrast between the two makes it stick out like a sore thumb.

BTW...can anyone list out the elements from the 2222 Market design that is missing from the build?

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
That bar/bldg looks so out of place now. And the color contrast between the two makes it stick out like a sore thumb.

BTW...can anyone list out the elements from the 2222 Market design that is missing from the build?
The bar leaves some character. I hope it stays

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayormccheese View Post
The bar leaves some character. I hope it stays
Totally agree. I love when you see this type of contrast.

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 4:26 PM

Quote:
^

Paint is cheap (at least before the current bout of inflation).

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 4:48 PM

I don’t get any of the above hate

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 6:38 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

We all love contrast between new and old, small buildings and big buildings etc etc.

However this just doesn't fit. maybe if they clean the building up and change the color it will blend in better and fit but a 2 story commercial row home that didn't want to sell due to whatever petty reason just looks bad.

The least the owners could have done was have their building fit in with the design.

However it is still a good build and Market st is growing very well.

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Can you elaborate on this? Are you talking about comparing the real building to the renderings or the older iteration?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive