HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Do y'all ever sit back and think "how will the Domain be affected by long-term growth?" .....Driving through today I realized I kind of hate going to the domain....not being there, just navigating in there. It felt like every intersection was a near t-bone crash due to idiot drivers and even worse peds.

Is it possible we could see traffic lights and even complete re-dos/new roads on all the suburban concrete dividers that make shit more cramped and confusing?? End rant.
You're not really supposed to drive in the Domain. It's a pedestrian area. Your best bet is to park ASAP (ideally near the outer fringes) and walk to where you're trying to go.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2019, 10:42 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
You're not really supposed to drive in the Domain. It's a pedestrian area. Your best bet is to park ASAP (ideally near the outer fringes) and walk to where you're trying to go.
Drive your car to the mall, park in a garage, then get out and walk and pretend it's urban.

The city needs to get transit working at the Domain, but it seems painfully clear that they aren't interested in the clientele that would bring.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
What Stooge said... but it’s also horrible for peds! There are literally areas where the sidewalk just ends and you are forced into the street lol. The Domain has graduated from a mall to a semi urban center... whether it likes it or not.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Drive your car to the mall, park in a garage, then get out and walk and pretend it's urban.

The city needs to get transit working at the Domain, but it seems painfully clear that they aren't interested in the clientele that would bring.
I mean, I think it would be useful to define what makes something urban.

There are busses that go to the Domain. My coworkers take them every day. Do you mean that transit should travel throughout the Domain? It's not that big. One can easily just walk.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2019, 5:33 PM

I actually prefer going to the Domain than downtown. No rush hour traffic, cleaner, very little homeless, free parking, closer to home.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Two bus lines go to Domain Northside. The developers wanted mass transit to reach the Domain. Who exactly isn't interested in a certain "clientele" visiting the Domain? And please inform us who this clientele is.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 9:04 PM

Probably talking about hobos, bums, panhandlers, gangbangers, hookers, & the like.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Two bus lines go to Domain Northside. The developers wanted mass transit to reach the Domain. Who exactly isn't interested in a certain "clientele" visiting the Domain? And please inform us who this clientele is.
First and foremost, I am absolutely not agreeing with StoOgE, however, I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt and assume they are referring to this nugget from June.

Upscale Austin shopping center apologizes for racist brochure
https://www.dailydot.com/irl/domain-...stin-brochure/

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 9:15 PM

We just at the Domain today and seen the 466 Bus going right up the middle of the Domain. So it is serviced from what I have seen. There are also Bus routes along Braker and Burnet which is walking distance from anything in the Domain.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 9:28 PM

Really, the problem is that the Domain connects to, but isn't in the actual city, so you have to treat it like a mall. Drive to it in your car. Park. Mall walk. Get an Orange Julius, then hike back to your car.

If it were an actual neighborhood, like in other cities, traffic would go through it, not around it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 11:16 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Really, the problem is that the Domain connects to, but isn't in the actual city, so you have to treat it like a mall. Drive to it in your car. Park. Mall walk. Get an Orange Julius, then hike back to your car.

If it were an actual neighborhood, like in other cities, traffic would go through it, not around it.
Maybe the design was on purpose to keep traffic /out/.

And point of fact: it is in city limits. Ergo, it is in the actual city.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 11:24 PM

It is my understanding that the Domain is in the city limits of Austin, but the streets are private and not public streets. These private street signs are noted with a blue background instead of a green. I have always wondered what rules there would be if traffic lights were put up in the Domain since it is private property.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
And point of fact: it is in city limits. Ergo, it is in the actual city.
Well sure. I don't dispute that. But it's been designed to be its own inward looking node. Some of that is just where the plot is in relation to the city's own infrastructure, but it's also been built with, shall we say, a suburbanite's concern for internal (traffic) control.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 12:42 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Well sure. I don't dispute that. But it's been designed to be its own inward looking node. Some of that is just where the plot is in relation to the city's own infrastructure, but it's also been built with, shall we say, a suburbanite's concern for internal (traffic) control.
You see that as a bad thing, but many people might see that as a positive. It means less vehicles traveling past residents’ windows at night. It means less noise pollution so people can sleep easier. It means - if combined with adequate internal pedestrian infrastructure (which exists, the problem is how poorly the internal pedestrian infrastructure interacts with and connects to the external pedestrian infrastructure) - a safer pedestrian experience as well. I’m sorry, but all of the points y’all see as demerits could actually be interpreted as a positive. Cities should not cater to only ONE urban development framework/mindset, but to many types of urbanity so that we can be inclusive of all types of people and the environments in which they’d prefer to live, work, and play. If you don’t like the design of this area, you should choose to live, work, and play elsewhere. There’s still a market - clearly - for this variety of urban infrastructure and this variety happens to not exist elsewhere in the city and its surroundings so let it exist here.

Every major city has something akin to this style of urban development at some scale. The Galleria and La Cantera are two examples in Texas alone and they’re doing just fine and don’t see anywhere near the kind of vitriolic hate directed by some Austinites towards the Domain. It borders on NIMBY behavior.

In other words: stop finding minor things to complain about just for the sake of complaining. It isn’t your cup of tea, we get it, but that doesn’t mean it is intrinsically a negative space.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 1:10 AM
PrimaPix Visuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynmark View Post
It is my understanding that the Domain is in the city limits of Austin, but the streets are private and not public streets. These private street signs are noted with a blue background instead of a green. I have always wondered what rules there would be if traffic lights were put up in the Domain since it is private property.
Simple, police don't enforce traffic laws on private property. If you run a stop sign in the Domain in front of an officer, they can't, (or shouldn't), pull you over. The same goes for any shopping center with stop signs, or other traffic signals, (speed limits, turn only's, yields, ect.), on private property.

If someone is driving with willful and wanton disregard for the public, then it is reckless driving and that can be enforced. So... two or more of the following: unsafe speed, running numerous stop signs, cutting cars off, driving on the wrong side of the road or on a sidewalk, ect.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 2:33 AM

on the corners of a few of the intersections at the domain they have already installed the infrastructure of traffic lights.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Simple, police don't enforce traffic laws on private property. If you run a stop sign in the Domain in front of an officer, they can't, (or shouldn't), pull you over. The same goes for any shopping center with stop signs, or other traffic signals, (speed limits, turn only's, yields, ect.), on private property.

If someone is driving with willful and wanton disregard for the public, then it is reckless driving and that can be enforced. So... two or more of the following: unsafe speed, running numerous stop signs, cutting cars off, driving on the wrong side of the road or on a sidewalk, ect.
With the proviso that stop signs on private property abutting public land are enforceable.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 3:41 AM
World Traveler

^ I was thinking wwmiv's point as well, given that the stop signs were probably required by the city with traffic flow, etc., as everything was planned. A private-private intersection is a different situation, as far as I understand it.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 5:32 AM

Quote:

It's funny. When I worked downtown, this is what I did: drove to it in my car. Parked. Walked. Worked. Got a taco or a drink, then hiked back (to 15th street) to my car.

Traffic goes through downtown and traffic goes through the Domain. Neither are the best place to drive, however. As it should be.

I think the private property argument is the best argument. But, in the end, that's just words on a piece of paper. To the eye, they look the same. And I'm sure one day in the future it will be parceled out and the streets will be public just like anywhere else.

The company I work for likes to have offices in urban environments. And it's no coincidence that the two places they have offices in Austin are 6th Street and the Domain.

ergo, The Domain is urban. It's the city.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 2:14 PM

Thinking that you should be able to park next to your destination is not an urban mindset, it is a suburban one. Expecting any urban area to accommodate that mindset is ridiculous. That’s like asking urban buildings to, I don’t know, have massive parking podiums under every single tower... something most users here complain about ad nauseum.

We can’t have it both ways. Either we design spaces for cars or we design spaces for people.

Last edited by wwmiv; Feb 26, 2019 at 2:32 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin