HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 6:40 PM

Even more hand-wringing about the demolition of the buildings on this parcel.

https://hiddencityphila.org/2021/10/...ation-process/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post

I think the bigger problem is that the preservation needs to be proactive, not reactive. There's no reason that at least in the core of Center City that all the prominent buildings that meet the criteria are declared historic. It's tough to wait for a building owner to come up with a proposal and then scramble to try to certify a property.

So as much as political pressure on the historic commission may be questionable, so is trying to certify structures only after a development plan to presented to the city.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post

I don’t think that was the point of the article. The buildings have long since been demolished. If there are ethics violations coming from the Mayor’s Office in regards to historic preservation, that certainly needs to be addressed. The city unfortunately has a long history of corruption - anything that sheds light on it shouldn’t be minimized or swept under the rug in my opinion.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 8:27 PM

While I don't think that the buildings that were demolished to make way for this project should have been on the register, I agree that the Historical Commission needs to be looked at. There are a surprising number of buildings that really should be nominated that aren't.

I would even incredibly begrudgingly admit that the Robinson Building should probably be on there.

But surprise surprise, Kenney is a shitbag.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
While I don't think that the buildings that were demolished to make way for this project should have been on the register, I agree that the Historical Commission needs to be looked at. There are a surprising number of buildings that really should be nominated that aren't.

I would even incredibly begrudgingly admit that the Robinson Building should probably be on there.

But surprise surprise, Kenney is a shitbag.
The Robinson building is a tough one. It's certainly interesting and different. But that doesn't change the fact that it's ugly as sh$t.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
The Robinson building is a tough one. It's certainly interesting and different. But that doesn't change the fact that it's ugly as sh$t.
More importantly, functionally, it's a poor building. What good is a 5-story attached building with no windows?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
More importantly, functionally, it's a poor building. What good is a 5-story attached building with no windows?
Yea I feel like I'm generally one of the more preservationist minded members of this forum, but I'm definitely of the opinion that ultimate goal of historic preservation is to make the city a better place to live. Diverse and interesting architecture is valuable to those who live here, but only to a point. Urban functionality is in the end, of greater importance. Generally there is no real distinction between pushing for good urban principles and historic preservation, but every once in a while you have these outliers, buildings that are architecturally important but which are a drag on their surroundings. The Robinson building and the South Broad health clinic both come to mind. At the end of the day I want to live in a city, not a museum.

Overall though, I think buildings that warrant historic protection not receiving any protection is 100 times more of an issue than unworthy buildings receiving protection is.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 6:22 PM

Walked by this during my lunch today. It looks like they're doing something here to shore up the buildings adjacent to this. I'm just glad to see something happening at this site finally, it's been dead for months.

20211014_131915 (photo by me)

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 7:37 PM

Possibly stucco work?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 8:02 PM

At least something is happening! Good sign hopefully

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 7:14 PM

Building permit issued today

Does this mean the appeal has been exhausted:

https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=359665022

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
Does this mean the appeal has been exhausted:

https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=359665022
Sounds like it.

Also sounds like this will have 32 residential floors, and 2 mech floors. Making this a 34 story building.

It might just barely scrape 400'.

Actually, looking back at the OG CDR submission, this seems to still be the original plans! We're still getting a 400+er!

https://www.phila.gov/media/20200805...CZ-Reduced.pdf

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 2:19 AM

Boom! Love to see it

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 3:39 AM

I think much like the arthaus, this will/should have a profound impact on the skyline from the east, south, and driving south on i-95. I really hope this looks as good when finished as it does in renderings. Hopefully it has a lighting package for those, idk what to call them, concrete fins? on the top

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 7:05 PM

Permits Issued For Tower At 204 South 12th Street

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/11/perm...uare-west.html

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 7:02 PM

You gotta be f***ing me

Height Reduction Confirmed For Residential High-Rise Planned At 204 South 12th Street

Quote:
Last month, YIMBY reported that construction permits were issued for the residential high-rise proposed at 204 South 12th Street in Midtown Village, Center City. We noted that while the floor count remained the same at 32, the unit count for the rental property was reduced from 448 to 378. Now, in a statement provided to YIMBY, BLT Architects, the architect of record for the project, has announced that the currently planned height for the building registers at 366 feet above ground. This represents a 79-foot decrease from the originally stated height of 445 feet.

At the moment, we are unable to confirm any further details regarding the updated design. However, it is unlikely that the building will undergo a significant change of the overall aesthetic, since the project retains the same design and development team, with Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners as the design architect and Midwood Investment & Development as the developer.
Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/12/heig...nter-city.html

Old Posted Dec 3, 2021, 9:23 PM
Chris

Boo.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 12:32 AM

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 10:42 PM

those pictures show the same situation that has been present at that site for the last 3 months or more. No real construction. Hopefully that changes soon.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 11:25 PM

shame about the height chop, although 79ft isn't the end of the world. Also RIP Richard Rogers. This will be one of the last projects of his era at Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction