HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 6:30 AM
Never Dell

2008 is waaaay outdated.

Let me be a homer on this. In the 2015 ACS, Seattle residents commuted by transit at 20.1%, Portland 12.1%, and LA 10.6%. Seattle isn't like the top six, but it was slightly closer to Philly and Chicago than it was to Portland. DC, Boston, SF, and NY kill us of course. In terms of commute share, based on some quick checking, Seattle, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh seemed to be the clear #7-9.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 8:04 AM
cities|transit|croissants

I just pulled the chart to illustrate general tiers. The tiers haven't changed since 2008. And as I said, Seattle, Portland, and LA get talked about for different reasons.

Portland for being an idea pioneer.
LA for being a gigantic monster even at only 10%.
Seattle for having legit bones and making great progress.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 4:21 PM

The DIA concourse train failed twice yesterday. What a mess. For the billions of dollars that you guys poured into DIA... I am continually perplexed as to why no pedestrian tunnel was built. What an awful flaw in an otherwise amazing airport.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 5:59 PM
Never Dell

That's true. We made the same mistake at Sea-Tac, but at least its satellite terminals are only maybe 1/3 of the gates.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 8:31 PM

Quote:
The DIA concourse train failed twice yesterday. What a mess. For the billions of dollars that you guys poured into DIA... I am continually perplexed as to why no pedestrian tunnel was built. What an awful flaw in an otherwise amazing airport.
Yeah since I once apon a time ago worked at DIA-we use to jokenly call it Denver's Industrial Accident. lol!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 9:45 PM

More bus ridership numbers have trickled in. It looks like MallRide is going to slip to 4th highest peak in the US, because LA was undercounted. LA's previous number was only including the limited stop route on its busiest line, leaving out the local. When you combine them it peaks to 46,000. A case could even be made that LA's peak should be an incredible 65,000, but IMO that's including a branch that shouldn't count.

We've also seen another Denver peer city come in with a peak above 20,000, making it at least two (there will probably be one or two more). So far we've got Vegas at 25,000 (on the Strip) and Pittsburgh at 21,000.

But we've also seen some potential competitors come up short: Boston peaks at only 15,000 (I'm not sure I believe it, but that's the number for now), and Miami at only 11,000 (I do believe that one).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
From my experience, the transit agencies are happy to offload their least-productive routes onto Uber and Lyft. See the examples of Arlington and Arlington (not a typo )
Few issues here:

Ever since I read the Marlon Boarnet/USC led analysis of first and last mile's importance I see better the critical function of "transit access."

I've previously posted of new van transit service in several cities including Lone Tree. This can be for better transit access or for primary transit. If I don't have good access to transit and Uber/Lyft etc can provide door to door service w/o having to make 20 stops on a bus then for many the choice is easy. OTOH, there's likely many people that would be happy to ride light rail or BRT/enhanced buses to work if they could just conveniently get to the damn transit stop.

LA Metro and Via Join Forces to Offer Shared Rides to Select Transit Stations
Nov 17, 2017 provided by Via - Newswire
Quote:
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 17, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- LA residents will have a new, affordable, equitable, and accessible option to connect to major train and bus stations, thanks to a new partnership between the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) and Via, the world's leading technology developer and provider of on-demand shared rides. The project is funded in part by the largest federal grant of its kind – a $1.35 million grant from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) for advanced technology to help bridge the first/last mile gap.
What should the purpose and strategy for transit agencies be?

Quote:
There's a big movement right now for bus agencies to focus more on providing good service on their highest-ridership lines, and cut service on their low-ridership lines. I could give you a dozen examples from a dozen different cities, and it's part of Seattle's strategy. The places with rising bus ridership are the places that are doing that.
On the other end of the Seattle spectrum is conservative Orange County. Not famous for their transit, the point is that they recently cut low performing routes and are doubling down on their enhanced bus service routes.

This is where I was thinking that RTD should go so I'm happy to have you affirm the strategy and include examples.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Ridesharing plays into it, because it lets you cut in places where the bus was previously a life-line service. And that part is OK! It benefits a lot more people, and is ultimately better for transit, to focus on the high-ridership trunk lines.
Which speaks to the importance of improving transit on East Colfax and getting it done right with center-running BRT.

Perhaps using not bus-friendly Orange County's favoring investments in enhanced bus service along with Cleveland's Health Line could help convince the naysayers. Hopefully a little salesmanship along with a great presentation can mitigate the stubbornness of skeptics. I'd even accept a near-term off-peak sharing of the dedicated lanes which I assume would be a disaster for everyone, lol, but whatever will get to center-running bus lanes is all I care about. It's a Big investment and it's too important to get it right from the get-go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANSIT View Post
Denver starts to flatten out in the 9k-14k range with several corridors including FF (14k), Federal (13k), Broadway/Lincoln (10k), and Havana (11k) having strong ridership.
This suggests that Federal should be the next focus after East Colfax. Broadway/Lincoln is already a work-in-progress.

I wasn't aware that Havana had that much ridership although I'm not shocked. At the point where voters approve more funding for RTD, then Havana is a corridor I assumed should be improved. Just another good example why passing D-Met Transport is a critical piece.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 8:41 PM

When it comes to the Original Six, DC is not the only city suffering through a transit malaise

Transit advocacy group offers solutions to address Chicago’s declining bus ridership
NOV 8, 2017 BY JAY KOZIARZ - Curbed Chicago
Quote:
...bus use is on the decline in the Windy City. Since 2012, bus ridership has declined by more than 17 percent and is down more than 21 percent compared to 2008. This troubling trend can produce a destructive cycle where fewer riders lead to reduced revenue and in turn poorer service—further dissuading bus use. An increased number of private vehicles on the road also means more congestion and decreased bus speeds.

So what's the answer Chicago?
Quote:
Offering fast, more reliable service will be key
Essentially they want to hop on/expand BRT service with all of its enhancements.

I like to call it "offering a more competitive product" and it's clearly where everybody is headed.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 6:21 AM

Very interesting

Photos: Kevin J. Beaty/Denverite

Denver airport turned on its $15 million sign, and it’s really something
November 28, 2017 by Andrew Kenney - Denverite
Quote:
You see it first as a pulsing glow in the distance, neon light seeping out across the roadway as you approach Denver International Airport.

Up close, the source reveals itself: a densely planted fence of illuminated poles, snaking a thousand feet along the grassy median of Peña Boulevard.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 5:17 PM

Denveright - Denver Moves is updated by The Denver Post:

Denver releases a wishlist of sidewalk and trail projects. It would cost at least $1.2 billion
November 29, 2017 By JON MURRAY
Quote:
Denver’s first proposal from a two-year urban planning process came out this week, and its vision for pedestrian access underlines a cost challenge that several of its projects will face.

Denver Moves: Pedestrians and Trails — the first draft plan from the broader, public input-driven “Denveright” initiative — was released Monday for review. It prioritizes projects to fill gaps in sidewalks across the city that could cost $800 million to $1.4 billion, with the higher figure also including the retrofitting of narrow sidewalks that don’t meet city standards. Add to that $400 million that the plan identifies in projects to complete the city’s trail network.
The other plans including transit are now on schedule for a Spring wrap.

Last edited by TakeFive; Nov 29, 2017 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 7:37 PM

Link is broken. This one should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

Denver releases a wishlist of sidewalk and trail projects. It would cost at least $1.2 billion

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 7:49 PM

Quote:

Nice hyperlink, bro.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
Link is broken. This one should work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Nice hyperlink, bro.
Thanks, I fixed it. Ironically I typically will check before posting. Obviously in this case I didn't; obviously I should have.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 9:32 PM

D-Met Transport - Denver Metro's transportation plan for the future.
-revisited and refined-

We'll keep the original $15.5 billion in new revenue over 20-25 years. Instead of $6.5 billion each for RTD and DRCOG with the remaining $2.5 billion going directly to cities and counties, let's target $7 billion to RTD, $5.5 billion to DRCOG and $3 billion for cities/counties.

First and foremost, like with FasTracks, D-Met Transport has to be designed to appeal to a wide spectrum and majority of voters.

RTD
With the road system generally built out it's RTD that still needs access to the greatest capital for investments. Worth noting is that buses will still run on roads which is where the next two pots can also come into play.

Cities/Counties
Just made too much sense not to sweeten their pots a little.

DRCOG
While I've come to understand that DRCOG will need to be repurposed this can be accomplished via the vote for D-Met Transport. Understanding how well its sister MAG works in Phoenix makes this pot too much sense and critical to metro-wide planning, coordination and investment primarily through matching funds. These transportation funds can run the gamut ofc.

Note: Given the current momentum in the economy, that $15.5 billion may not go as far as thought even six months ago due to rising costs.

Metro Denver versus City of Denver
Actually there's no conflict here. There's room and a need for both plans and increased RTD funding plus DRCOG participation along with Denver funds should be mutually beneficial. In Seattle, for example, it's the voter approved, metro funded Sound Transit 2 & 3 that is doing the heavy lifting.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 7:18 PM

Denver to get its first subway

D-Met Transport Phase 1 Rail Transit Plan - revisited and refined
I'm determined that Denver get one nice urban light rail line so nothing has changed with this.

Urban Signature Line
Same route from the Civic Center Station down So Broadway to Speer Blvd and then along Speer to Leetsdale Dr with a Phase 1 end of the line station at the intersection of Parker Rd, Mississippi Ave and the High Line Canal Trail plus an extension down So Broadway to I-25/Broadway Station. This makes too much sense and it would also make sense to eventually extend this line to Nine Mile Station, currently the 5th busiest station in the metro system.

Everybody Join Hands
While RTD would carry the biggest financial burden the idea under D-Met Transport is that, for example, that the costs of grade separated intersections be shared among Denver, DRCOG and CDOT (where applicable), RTD and potentially Arapahoe County plus any Federal Grants that can be obtained. With any luck the cost to RTD might be ~$1.2 billion or less.

Downtown Subway
I've heard that once Denver Moves has wrapped up their business that subsequently a study of transit in the downtown core will happen. D-Met Transport/RTD can fund an alternative look at a subway between Union Station and the Civic Center Station. Got to start somewhere and sometime.

NW 'B' Line
Next priority should be extending the B Line to Westminster's new downtown near U.S. 36 and Sheridan Boulevard. Additionally an analysis of extending the B Line (EMU's) up to Broomfield should be funded.

Fixing the Aurora R Line
with an Express route along I-225 with an additional station at the SEC of Alameda is so obviously needed.

Southwest Rail Extension
as originally planned

I'm hoping that the rail portion (not counting a subway) costs to RTD be about $2.5 billion which assumes added federal funding for a total around $4 billion. How much the subway segment might cost is wong's problem to figure out.

Last edited by TakeFive; Nov 30, 2017 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 11:58 PM
Landbarge Captain

Quote:
Denver to get its first subway
Downtown Subway
I've heard that once Denver Moves has wrapped up their business that subsequently a study of transit in the downtown core will happen. D-Met Transport/RTD can fund an alternative look at a subway between Union Station and the Civic Center Station. Got to start somewhere and sometime.
I was thinking about this today - what does everyone think a downtown subway line from Union Station to Civic Center would look like? I would imagine you would want to make it efficient, but where would you put the stops? Would this run down 16th?

If it ran down 16th, you would need a stop between Stout and California, and one around the Tabor Center/Larimer, but do you add another near Tremont to serve the Pavilions and all the retail in the area? Is that too close to Civic Center? Or do you just count on the mall ride serving everyone?

Would it make more sense to run it down 18th to transport more office workers? With a stop at Blake/Larimer, Stout/California, and maybe then a stop at Tremont would make more sense along 18th, since it's a little farther from Civic Center.

My real question would be where does this go from this initial line? Down Colfax? A subway would be incredibly expensive, so you would need to run it through dense neighborhoods to make it worth while, how much of the 15 traffic could you capture per billion dollars of subway?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 12:15 AM

I think we'll find out shortly what it will look like when DeverRight comes out with their transit study. Personally, I think a cut and cover tunnel down 17th, with an underground tunnel connecting to Union Station & the bus terminal would be ideal as a first phase. The other end would come down Broadway and terminate at Colfax, with ground-level access to Civic Center station. Two or three stops along the way would be appropriate to drop people off at the other end of LoDo, connect to the D line & L line light rail line, and possibly around upper downtown. Any more stops than that and you're going to slow the line down too much.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 8:24 PM

Either 16th or 17th would work. I'd give it two intermediate stops, at Larimer and Stout/California.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 7:16 PM

Update

Courtesy Albuquerque Rapid Transit

ART System Receives Rare Gold Standard from ITDP
City of Albuquerque News
Quote:
First-Ever BRT System in United States to Get This Top Designation

Albuquerque Rapid Transit (ART) has received yet another recognition for its design; and this time, it is on an international scope. ART is now the
first-ever, bus rapid transit system in the United States to receive the coveted Gold Standard from the Institute for Transportation and Development
Policy the highest internationally recognized standard for BRT systems.
What about Cleveland's HealthLine?
Quote:
“ART placed ahead of such groundbreaking and successful BRT systems as Cleveland’s HealthLine, which with a Silver Standard had been the highest
ranked BRT system in the U.S.,” said Mayor Richard J. Berry. “ART was also ranked ahead of such noteworthy systems as Eugene, Oregon’s
Emerald Express (EmX), Los Angeles’s Orange Line BRT and San Bernardino, California’s sbX system, all of which received Bronze Standards.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West