HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 6:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I noticed tonight that half of the LEDs across the top were "burned out".
This is likely why they were off completely in sewaneetigers video. The crown was lit the night before.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
This is likely why they were off completely in sewaneetigers video. The crown was lit the night before.
And it was back full last night.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 9:37 PM

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 9:50 PM

They are not in a hurry to clean the glass.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78701 View Post
They are not in a hurry to clean the glass.
Apparently not, and it's getting seriously worse. But I guess their tenant Meta won't be complaining.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 11:02 PM

"Tenant."

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Apparently not, and it's getting seriously worse. But I guess their tenant Meta won't be complaining.
I would not be a bit surprised if something is going very wrong with that facade.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 12:35 AM

Perhaps waiting until the building is completed before calling in the window cleaners.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 3:34 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfrie View Post
I would not be a bit surprised if something is going very wrong with that facade.
I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong with the overall build. As I mentioned earlier, after the last rain, water was coming out from all of the overhang's underside light fixtures with the lights on hours after the rain stopped. That doesn't scream quality build to me. I sure hope the Waterline is better.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
Perhaps waiting until the building is completed before calling in the window cleaners.
It makes sense to, but I don't recall any other Austin high-rise having windows so caked with crud during similar phase of construction. The Independent took its sweet time to be completed, and nothing even close to this accumulated on the glass. It's not just the big stain, all panels look crusted over.
Even if there's nothing wrong with the build (given the reports of water coming out of light fixtures, I don't know...), it is becoming increasingly weird to ignore this glaring issue while also wooing tenants for high-rent apartments.
Like, if I were in the market to rent in Austin, this would be the last place I'd look now given the abundant high-end alternatives.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:48 PM

Y’all are blowing the window issue way out of proportion. They were probably dirty when installed, the aluminum caps were probably dirty when installed, plus dirt/dust, very hot weather, rain, wind, etc. Washing the windows will be right up there on the schedule with vacuuming the carpet and cleaning the toilets.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 4:50 PM

I've seen buildings in the desert with less s**t on the windows.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 7:05 PM

Ngl, the painted concrete looks really bad. They should have just fixed matte silver cladding or something over it. I can see the lines from each mold and it looks really cheap to me.

Window situation is odd as well considering this is kinda marketable now.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 8:59 PM

I have not been a fan of this building from the beginning. And I know enough to hold off on the final judgement until the last finishing touches are complete. These has been done, but not the exterior cleaning and yet they are trying to lease this.... thing. Good Luck.

I am still not a fan of the very mediocre designed, AT best, tower. It rises 874 feet into our skyline and will be prominent for years to come. The street interaction is awful as well. Austin needs better review and standards for all buildings in Downtown. Starting with parking level cladding requirements. Just my 60 years of opinion and experience.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 9:30 PM
randalls

Someday in the future we'll just call this building good infill, and nothing more.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalls View Post
Someday in the future we'll just call this building good infill, and nothing more.
Hopefully so. Let’s hope whatever is built on the post office lot is something substantial and a better design than this (don’t think that’s hard to achieve). Who owns that site btw?

The glass is probably the cheapest imaginable for such a building. Look at The Republic’s facade in comparison. To the person blaming weather conditions- I’m sure there’s many buildings in the same climate that haven’t been such a mess before completion. Poor quality and design choices will take a lot of upkeeping.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Hopefully so. Let’s hope whatever is built on the post office lot is something substantial and a better design than this (don’t think that’s hard to achieve). Who owns that site btw?

The glass is probably the cheapest imaginable for such a building. Look at The Republic’s facade in comparison. To the person blaming weather conditions- I’m sure there’s many buildings in the same climate that haven’t been such a mess before completion. Poor quality and design choices will take a lot of upkeeping.
Agreed. I'm happy for the height and new standard this brings for the future, but my main harp on SSP these days is longevity, materials, and appearance. All over Austin you see things built like crap and I can't help but think "gee, that's gonna be torn down in 10-20 years". Or you'll see homes / mixed-use stuff built with black roofing and facade. Not great for a warming region.

Don't get me wrong, this is far form a disaster, but we desperately need new requirements on these things.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 5:47 PM

Could it be that they planned patina for the entire glass facade?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 9:14 PM

This monstrous building has no redeeming feature except for its height, and given it's ungainly appearance, even that is called into question. My love affair with downtown Austin more or less came to an end around the time this building was constructed. I saw it coming, and I was not wrong. I used to think we deserved better, but now I am not so sure. Austin seems to have lost its soul. 6G is a dirty reflection of that reality.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 9:43 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
This monstrous building has no redeeming feature except for its height, and given it's ungainly appearance, even that is called into question. My love affair with downtown Austin more or less came to an end around the time this building was constructed. I saw it coming, and I was not wrong. I used to think we deserved better, but now I am not so sure. Austin seems to have lost its soul. 6G is a dirty reflection of that reality.
I feel sorry for you. May God have mercy on your soul.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin