HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
I never thought the US would have a natural decrease before Canada but if the trends continues next year the US might reach negative natural increase first even with much higher fertility
For the US, it's more likely to happen in 2027, so Canada might still get there first.

Natural growth in the US peaked in 2007 at 1,892,522; in Canada, it was 146,233 in 2009. In 2023, the US got 507,932 and Canada 31,103.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
The damage has already been done. Not only are young women less interested in having children, many of them are also unemployed. How do you juggle working a full-time job, raising a child, and supporting your parents and grandparents?

Also, even if Chinese women were to all of a sudden push out 3+ children, those children still need to be fed, educated, and cared for to become productive members of society... 20 years down the line. If the CCP wants women to have more children, perhaps they should provide more of a social safety net and not steal money from their citizens.
As CCP still has a strong grip over Chinese society, I guess they might achieve some success if they decide to increase TFR. I don't believe anything exceptional though: maybe raising it from the current 1.0 to something like 1.3-1.4 at most.

And unlike South Korea, they have a much bigger presence of state-owned companies and they can dictate more friendly policies on the labour market, something Koreans can't do it unless by a massive cultural shift which is very difficult to happen.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions