HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ The problem is, the actual goal of the speeding cameras is what is questionable. Are we really trying to make the city "safer for the kids" or are we trying to raise revenue?
IIRC it won't produce all that much revenue. I'd have to dig up the article.

The city needs to do a better job marking crosswalks near schools. All the cities I've lived in previously, particularly small towns were far more advanced in how they designed crosswalks near schools. They were signaled crosswalks with bright yellow neon signs, lightbox warnings, and embedded pavement strobes. If a town of 5000 can build several of these, a big city should be able to build more.

We've seen in Chicago that when we design safe intersections, improve bike lanes and better mark crosswalks, fatalities go down. Yet, even with the red light cameras, people still run them. So what good do they really do?

My personal belief is that there is always an architectural and engineering solution to most of our building and infrastructure problems to make places safer.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 1:51 AM

I've been in this city sans car for going on 2 decades. I've never felt like I needed one to get around between public transit, cabs, bikes or a good pair of shoes.

Honestly, as someone who walks around the neighborhoods and frequents these stores, I think speed cameras will actually improve the experience for pedestrians. Say you are shopping Division St, you see a store across the street, but you have to walk 3 blocks to a stoplight to feel comfortable crossing. You will probably skip going to that store. If the traffic is slowed to a controlled speed, it will be easier to cross, you will and you're more likely to shop in more stores. It will also improve the experience of street side cafes and bars.

It may hamper auto-based transit in the city, but I think it is a better deal, overall, for the state of the city. In NY, they have been trying to intentionally slow Manhattan traffic to make the city safer for bikers and pedestrians and more conducive to street facing businesses. The same may be true here.

The people who will really get hammered are the cab drivers. I feel bad for them.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 5:17 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
The people who will really get hammered are the cab drivers. I feel bad for them.
I don't. Cab drivers don't need to drive like maniacs to make money. Honestly, because they drive so much, the penalties if they speed or drive dangerously should be a complete revocation of license.

On the other hand, cab drivers aren't typically driving drunk, whereas one regular dude can get in a car hammered and cause more mayhem and carnage than a cabbie might cause in a month. Both behaviors should be penalized far more severely than a regular guy going 5mph over the limit in a school zone.

I also understand the political expediency of it, but it sucks that the only way to make Chicagoans care about traffic fatalities is to wail about the children. All areas with high pedestrian activity should have legal and physical protections against reckless drivers, not just school zones.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 7:03 AM

Was it a Chase branch that was going into the acute corner at Weed and Kingsbury? IIRC there was some hope it might be an adaptive reuse to avoid the cookie cutter drive-thru, but alas the site has now been levelled. At least they also could've taken one more parcel south, the "gentleman's club" next door, which is a dead windowless structure most of the day. Gentrification will hopefully squeeze it out before long - these operators like cheap rents and ample parking in dusty warehouse districts.

Also, further up Kingsbury, there is some moderately large two story structure being constructed just north of the former Circuit City.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 12:30 PM

The cab drivers will eventually slow down. Just like they obey the left turn arrows on Dearborn when they didn't before. It just takes some adjustment.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
The cab drivers will eventually slow down. Just like they obey the left turn arrows on Dearborn when they didn't before. It just takes some adjustment.
Speed cameras will probably be the first thing that actually works for getting cab drivers to actually slow down.

The tickets will be mailed to and paid by the owner of the actual vehicle and not the driver. If any of you have ever had to deal with getting anyone to take responsibility when it comes to an accident involving a taxi, you'll know how huge this distinction is.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 8:37 PM
TL;DR

The proposed Out Hotel on Halsted in Boystown has been downsized. Because Jackie Koo is awesome, a sweet cantilever has been added to make up for the loss in height. The facade on this is not as well-developed but it's probably still pretty conceptual.

src

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 8:49 PM

That is awful. Never has there been a better case for taller and slender. Never! (I might be exaggerating, but this top 10).

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 9:08 PM

Do they not own the building on the corner (the one the cantilever hangs over)?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 9:17 PM
The City

I love the cantilever, actually. Lets hope they quickly get this approved

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 9:28 PM

Loving the cantilever as well! Is the unit count / square footage still the same as when it was 10 stories? Additionally, do they own the building next door as well or are they going to purchase air rights somehow?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 10:09 PM
dream fast

The cantilever comes off looking like a floating mansard roof.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 10:12 PM

YES YES YES, very good! This is exactly what Chicago needs more of. I don't give a shit about height when it is good design. The midrise architecture in Chicago has been decades behind where it is in NYC, LA, and other cities and we need more ultra modern stuff like this to catch up. What a sick design, I almost want to book a night here even though I'm straight and live just down Belmont!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The proposed Out Hotel on Halsted in Boystown has been downsized. Because Jackie Koo is awesome, a sweet cantilever has been added to make up for the loss in height. The facade on this is not as well-developed but it's probably still pretty conceptual.

src
Chicago is way too conservative sometimes in design and this is a refreshing break from the usual extruded glass box. Bonus points because it engages an older structure instead of leveling it. The open air gap above further reinforces the building's integrity as a separate structure. This is something I'd see in maybe Chelsea or Toronto. Thinking creatively and not throwing up the developer daily special....we need more of this.

Nicely done Koo and Associates.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 11:38 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Bonus points because it engages an older structure
I guess abuse is a form of engagement.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 11:42 PM

Hate to be Debbie Downer here, but there is no way I can imagine that iteration getting approved and constructed.

The cantilever is cool, but the rest of the design is a step down in my opinion. However, as long as Koo is given semi free reign (like it seems she has been so far), this project should turn out well whichever direction it takes.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think I prefer this design over the original. Agreed that the facade still needs work.

But, man, these fucking NIMBYs:

Quote:
Balconies previously featured on the south side of the building are now gone in response to neighbor concerns about noise.
You live next door to one of the most active nightlife scenes in the city and you're complaining about potential noise from a boutique hotel room?

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 24, 2013, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I guess abuse is a form of engagement.
Architects today, with the hip hop and the Nintendo!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 4:02 AM
THAT Guy

Ferragamo expansion on Michigan Avenue (Zegna is also expanding upwards)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2013, 4:32 AM
TL;DR

Yuck. You'd think they could use a lighter touch where the new wrapper meets the glass curtain wall above. Preserve the marble spandrel at least.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development