HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:59 PM

40k average wage for tech would be really, really low. I’d imagine average is closer to $70k.

Google already has a significant presence in Kitchener so I’d imagine not all of those are new jobs.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
40k average wage for tech would be really, really low. I’d imagine average is closer to $70k.

Google already has a significant presence in Kitchener so I’d imagine not all of those are new jobs.
I was just estimating a bare minimum wage investment.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 2:06 AM

Pitch for tech hub behind Hamilton City Hall back before councillors

A local entrepreneur hasn’t let go of his vision to transform the back parking area of Hamilton City Hall into a technology and medical innovation hub.

Paven Bratch’s pitch for two towers of 20 and 24 storeys with a combined 572,000 square feet of office space — as well as a retail plaza with a grocery store — is back before councillors Monday.

Bratch presented his plan in February 2020 but then the COVID-19 pandemic derailed a staff report to explore the tech hub concept.

The office market crashed after the pandemic struck, but with the rollout of vaccines, major corporations are returning to buildings, he said Friday.

And there’s a trend toward smaller cities that offer a “better life-work balance” as “secondary headquarters” for large centres, he said.

“We think that it has actually played very well for Hamilton,” said Bratch, whose Metro Partners Inc. is working with other firms and investors in the estimated $250-million proposed project.

https://www.thespec.com/news/hamilto...velopment.html

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 3:44 PM

This project would be amazing for the downtown core, I just wonder if there is actually a market need for it. I doubt it, at least right now. Council also seems to have a very lukewarm reaction to it.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
This project would be amazing for the downtown core, I just wonder if there is actually a market need for it. I doubt it, at least right now. Council also seems to have a very lukewarm reaction to it.
There's a 1% chance this happens. The lands not for sale lol

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Well I think the city has stated that they'd like the parking lots developed at some point. But ya, the city is clearly not too serious about it.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 5:14 PM

The guy doesn’t know what he’s doing. If a somewhat reputable builder was behind it council may be warmer to it but it’s some guy that’s never done anything like this before. I mean just looking at the renderings the building floor plates look about half the size modern tenants demand. It would be substandard space the day it opens as it’s currently planned.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 5:50 PM

Quote:
And there’s a trend toward smaller cities that offer a “better life-work balance” as “secondary headquarters” for large centres, he said.
people have been talking about this for years and it never seems to actually materialize. The only business that opened a satellite office in Hamilton was Q4, and they unfortunately opened it right as the pandemic kicked off.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The guy doesn’t know what he’s doing. If a somewhat reputable builder was behind it council may be warmer to it but it’s some guy that’s never done anything like this before. I mean just looking at the renderings the building floor plates look about half the size modern tenants demand. It would be substandard space the day it opens as it’s currently planned.
I don't think the floor plates matter as much anymore, as they could easily take up a few floors, and many offices do, in addition to some workers working from home. Flexible office space will be key moving forward.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
So you're sayin' there's a chance...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 8:03 PM
Ham-burgher

I still have fingers crossed.

The height police will surely get involved, especially for that 24-storey idea, but space like this very close to the downtown GO centre and not far from MIP may actually be quite an attractive proposition for tenants.

I would hope the proposed "addition" to city hall is extremely complementary to it. I'd want city council to get that guaranteed.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton