HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 3:27 AM
TL;DR

Mariano's Bronzeville (King Drive and Pershing)

Looks like the parking lot will be along King Drive to the north of the store.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 7:36 AM

Is that public art along the front of the store? Will that sort of thing actually happen or is that simply rendering fluff?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 5:54 PM
you know where I'll be

^^ Wow. I actually really like that. I mean, I'm sure it's not very urban at all, with the surface parking an I'm sure other urban design faux paus, but the architecture sure looks nice to me at least from this one rendering....

Is this SCB? (asking as I know they've done some other Mariano's - but that didn't look this nice). If not, who's the designer here??

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
Crain's Reporting that the Wicker Park KMart will close and be replaced by a Lowe's. I suppose this means that strip mall will continue to exist for a long time. The store footprint will be expanded into the parking lot apparently.
UUGGH...I so much wanted this strip mall to go away and be replaced with something that restores walkabaility to Ahsland Ave, as well as Milwaukee...infill with housing or apartments...etc.

I hate how you are driving along Ashland (and/or Milwaukee), and the 'urban fabric' is disrupted by the huge ugly parking lot there.

Lost opportunity here.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 7:30 PM

I'm dreaming here, but I hope they go the route of Home Depot in Lincoln Park. Turn the entrance towards Milwaukee and/or Ashland, throw some parking decks above, and redevelop the parking lot into some mixed retail-residential stuff.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
UUGGH...I so much wanted this strip mall to go away and be replaced with something that restores walkabaility to Ahsland Ave, as well as Milwaukee...infill with housing or apartments...etc.

I hate how you are driving along Ashland (and/or Milwaukee), and the 'urban fabric' is disrupted by the huge ugly parking lot there.

Lost opportunity here.
How about that freeway median behind the store? Lol

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 8:26 PM
THAT Guy

Gold Coast developments

Velvet Taco is opening on Monday

Updated rendering of Maple & Ash restaurant/Urban Outfitters

Dior and other stores - new facades messing with Bertrand Goldberg's Walton Gardens

Possible design for 46 E Oak, also replacing a nice older structure

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Wow. I actually really like that. I mean, I'm sure it's not very urban at all, with the surface parking an I'm sure other urban design faux paus, but the architecture sure looks nice to me at least from this one rendering....
It sure is a hell of a lot more urban than four square blocks of uninterrupted urban prairie isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
How about that freeway median behind the store? Lol
It's totally necessary, I usually go about 75 MPH down that alley, wouldn't want to cross into oncoming traffic...

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Dior and other stores - new facades messing with Bertrand Goldberg's Walton Gardens
This is fucking bullshit! At least Urban Outfitters tastefully integrated themselves into the design. This is just absolutely bogus! Zero respect for architecture in this town!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 9:31 PM

Ugh, really? Tearing down a beautiful 4-story building for a bleh 2-story when there's that ugly ass 1980s vomit two doors down...

[Possible design for 46 E Oak, also replacing a nice older structure
[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 10:58 PM

Yeah I wish that they would keep that walkup building. Oak street should retain some of the original character to help keep it's unique qualities and real Chicago feel.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 1:32 AM

Oak, Rush and Walton Streets are definitely huge disappointments lately. Not only do these ultra luxe retailers seem to feel that us Chicagoans are undeserving of the landmark flagship store architecture that graces other world cities, but they also seem content on removing any of the original character of the street and replacing it with their generic crap. They have the money to do better and we should force them to. Too bad those blocks are too far gone for a historical district to be formed.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 2:44 AM

At least there's 40 East Oak still standing strong in its vintage character. (My old apartment) Probably the last affordable building downtown.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 5:53 AM

A demolition permit was issued a few days ago for 514 West Diversey. Does anyone know if this is still the plan for that site?

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...c4c0-173176793

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Oak, Rush and Walton Streets are definitely huge disappointments lately. Not only do these ultra luxe retailers seem to feel that us Chicagoans are undeserving of the landmark flagship store architecture that graces other world cities, but they also seem content on removing any of the original character of the street and replacing it with their generic crap. They have the money to do better and we should force them to. Too bad those blocks are too far gone for a historical district to be formed.
I could be wrong, but I think it more has to do with the fact that Chicago is not known for its fashion forwardness that other cities like NYC, LA, and Miami are. I think a lot of design houses know they will make it work in Chicago, but their profits may not be as big as some other cities, which means they aren't going to spend as much on real estate as some other cities.

Until more of Chicago becomes more fashionable or it starts attracting even more tourists who are, this will most likely be the way things are (minus a few fashion houses such as Burberry of course).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
A demolition permit was issued a few days ago for 514 West Diversey. Does anyone know if this is still the plan for that site?

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...c4c0-173176793
I couldn't find anything in the pipeline but I'll keep an eye on it. In other news, I re-read that article and couldn't help but notice the NIMBYs there. Yes, congestion might suck worse but the angle they're taking, at least how they're quoted, makes them think that every unit will be inhabited by someone who will be constantly driving there. Even if every unit has a car, it's not proportional at all times with traffic. It's like they honestly think that at any given point of the day, there will be 50+ more cars there than right now. The level of stupidity in the world never ceases to amaze me.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 1:46 PM
The City

^ Yeah, I can't find anything either, it makes me wonder why they are demo'ing the existing building unless they actually did get a green light and are ready to move forward. Diversey/Clark is about to really change in the next few years, although I wonder whatever happened to that apartment development that was supposed to replace the old Walgreens?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I couldn't find anything in the pipeline but I'll keep an eye on it. In other news, I re-read that article and couldn't help but notice the NIMBYs there. Yes, congestion might suck worse but the angle they're taking, at least how they're quoted, makes them think that every unit will be inhabited by someone who will be constantly driving there. Even if every unit has a car, it's not proportional at all times with traffic. It's like they honestly think that at any given point of the day, there will be 50+ more cars there than right now. The level of stupidity in the world never ceases to amaze me.
There won't be an increase in traffic on Diversey. The area is losing a full service grocery store with a surface parking lot. The store alone has over 80 employees according to the manager at the community meeting. These people are just complaining and doing so without the use of any logic.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
These people are just complaining and doing so without the use of any logic.
Traffic is a red herring. The real NIMBY issue on Diversey is a perceived loss of residential parking.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2015, 4:50 PM

Quote:
There won't be an increase in traffic on Diversey. The area is losing a full service grocery store with a surface parking lot. The store alone has over 80 employees according to the manager at the community meeting. These people are just complaining and doing so without the use of any logic.
Right, and that area is very walkable in general. There are many people in Chicago who own a car in walkable areas who only use it fairly seldom too. Sure, there may be people who drive to another grocery store, but that's not going to affect traffic much. I mean do people in that area honestly drive THAT much? Probably not enough for another 200 people in that area with cars to afffect traffic at almost any given point of the day.

Of course the problem is logic, but the real problem is that people haven't actually thought things through. I highly doubt the people complaining even use their cars to go everywhere in the first place to warrant them to be thinking like this. Perhaps the ones who do are the complete idiots who drive from Clark & Diversey to Clark & Fullerton to eat at a restaurant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development