HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 12:01 AM

861 Clyde Ave [Former Neilsen Dairy] | 6 x 25-30f | Proposed

https://kitchissippiward.ca/content/...-house-webinar

Quote:
Some of you may be aware that Claridge recently purchased the former Neilsen's Dairy Plant at 861 Clyde Ave, which the intention of redeveloping the property. The site is approximitly 6.65 acres in-between Carling Ave and the 417, with Churchill Ave to the west.

The applicant is proposing 6 high-rise buildings, one mid-rise building, street oriented townhomes, a raised interior courtyard and a park space. The high-rise buildings will sit on six storey podiums, varying from twenty five and thirty storeys and are proposed to be oriented closest to the Queensway to act as a barrier to the north. The mid-rise building that bounds the north side of the site varies from four to eight storeys, is proposed to have landscaped roofs and loft style units. The interior courtyard is proposed to be entranced by an amphitheatre segment overlooking the park and oriented to the afternoon sun. A pathway link south of the project is proposed to enhance cycling and pedestrian circulation travelling east-west. A private street is proposed to connect both the Churchill and Clyde etrance through the site with minimal surface parking.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 1:30 AM

This is in no way a knock against what's proposed just a general comment on the site and the sites that surround it.

1) I really wish the city would have gotten ahold of this site for use as a storage/charging/maintenance yard for either the Carling BRT or the Carling LRT

2) I wish the city would better defend industrial employment sectors in the urban wards. With the zoning change land that once employed a hundreds of people will now house them. But where will they work? with the removal of industrial lands and their push to the edge of urban Ottawa so goes the jobs for those who don't work or can't work Office jobs. Leaving just those who work for "office" jobs in the core

I say this because well I work in the Engineering field on the side of actually building things that people use and to put it bluntly there is a severe lack of industrial space in this city. On top I have no Work based reason to live inside the greenbelt as my employment will never exist any further then 1km inside of it.

On topic, I do like what is proposed, but for this to be accepted it very much must come with a guarantee from the city to ramp up the Carling project, in some form or another.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 2:42 AM

Here are the rest of the renderings:

Its interesting, if you look at the projects proposed along Carling between Lincoln Fields and Preston they are something like 75% Claridge. They may be single-handedly providing the density to make Carling rapid transit viable.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 4:14 AM

This has to be the most bizarre project I have ever seen in this city and that's saying something. Not near rapid transit, zero walkability, no neighbourhood amenities, highway noise, views of a sea of warehouses... I can not understand the justification for this project...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
This has to be the most bizarre project I have ever seen in this city and that's saying something. Not near rapid transit, zero walkability, no neighbourhood amenities, highway noise, views of a sea of warehouses... I can not understand the justification for this project...
There's no nimbys living in freeways and warehouses and there's enough demand for rentals that they should still find tenants pretty easily.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 12:40 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Oh i'm sure they'll market it as just "south of Westboro" Extend the complete-streeted Churchill across Carling to the site and voilà!

Looking forward to seeing a more fulsome site plan on DevApps, I've always thought a MUP parallel to the Queensway linking Churchill to Clyde would be useful to connect the bike route through the freeway underpass, and possibly wind up the escarpment towards the Merrivale corridor. According to the origin-destination survey this is one of the travel desire lines in the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 3:31 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
This is in no way a knock against what's proposed just a general comment on the site and the sites that surround it.

1) I really wish the city would have gotten ahold of this site for use as a storage/charging/maintenance yard for either the Carling BRT or the Carling LRT

2) I wish the city would better defend industrial employment sectors in the urban wards. With the zoning change land that once employed a hundreds of people will now house them. But where will they work? with the removal of industrial lands and their push to the edge of urban Ottawa so goes the jobs for those who don't work or can't work Office jobs. Leaving just those who work for "office" jobs in the core

I say this because well I work in the Engineering field on the side of actually building things that people use and to put it bluntly there is a severe lack of industrial space in this city. On top I have no Work based reason to live inside the greenbelt as my employment will never exist any further then 1km inside of it.

On topic, I do like what is proposed, but for this to be accepted it very much must come with a guarantee from the city to ramp up the Carling project, in some form or another.
It would be great if the City could negotiate at least the equivalent replacement non residential space. I looked quickly and the employment area designations seem to apply more to the south side of the Queensway so there may not be much that could be done under current policies.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
It would be great if the City could negotiate at least the equivalent replacement non residential space. I looked quickly and the employment area designations seem to apply more to the south side of the Queensway so there may not be much that could be done under current policies.
I assume the zoning was changed to AM "H" sometime after or around the Nielson Dairy plant shutdown. The land to the East & north is also AM "H" but to the west & south its General Industrial zone. Either way its a missed opportunity for carling transit and urban employment, and seriously those bus lanes can not come soon enough, and the next set of plans above bus lanes need to have an EA started.

Also, isn't Canadian tire moving and selling their lot, so I wouldn't be surprised if the developer tries to get ahold of the Canadian tire lot (also zoned AM "H") to create a very large development plot.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:02 PM

Definitely a missed opportunity for supportive infrastructure for light rail in particular and public transit in general.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 2:34 PM

I had no idea this proposal was even in the works. But I love it! I've long thought that this area of Carling and the Queensway was ripe for redevelopment, and for exactly some of the reasons mentioned above:

- no NIMBYs
- lots of available redevelopment land
- access to the highway and a major arterial route

I know it may lack other essentials, such as easy access to rapid transit and certain amenities, but with build-up over time, I'm sure these will come. Throw in some additional office space, retail, restaurants & pubs, and within +-20yrs, we could have a dense, thriving, high-rise community. Let's call the area the CQ Centre

Now, let's just hope Claridge doesn't cheap out on materials for something that will be seen by thousands of motorists everyday, and essentially become the anchor redevelopment for the area. They had an opportunity with Icon to reverse (or at least improve) their reputation for bait-and-switching-in cheap materials, and they blew it. Let's see if they can finally get one right.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
I had no idea this proposal was even in the works. But I love it! I've long thought that this area of Carling and the Queensway was ripe for redevelopment, and for exactly some of the reasons mentioned above:

- no NIMBYs
- lots of available redevelopment land
- access to the highway and a major arterial route
NIMBYs - that crowd north of Carling who think they're the next Westboro are a vocal group - anything that blocks their view of the Clarington mountain escarpment - watch out - wasn't there a retirement villa that received a really rough ride from this crew?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 12:55 PM

With those planned bus lanes down Carling, the City could provide a good, reliable bus service with frequencies of 5 to 10 minutes. It might be worth considering transit priority lights as well, considering there aren't that many along Carling.

With all that density proposed along Carling, I could see it as a good candidate for Stage 4, but with an Eglinton Crosstown type system (minus the tunnels). Bank-Rideau-Montreal have to be underground due to a lack of space, so I can't see those projects happening for at least 50 years.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 9:55 PM

this is exciting
this is what carling is shaping up to be

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191051...posted-public/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2020, 11:14 PM

Nice job. 20+ years of development unless we have some kind of boom. Looking forward to it!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 3:35 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideauRat View Post
this is exciting
this is what carling is shaping up to be

https://www.flickr.com/photos/191051...posted-public/
Here you go. Very nice.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Here you go. Very nice.
And the image doesn't even show the Icon in the distance.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
And the image doesn't even show the Icon in the distance.
Or the Super-Civic, Gladstone Station, Soho Italia.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Or the Super-Civic, Gladstone Station, Soho Italia.
I will add these tonight. should be interesting!

notes:

-this is so far from what the threads tell me!

-I'd love to do more of these, let me know if there is an area preference you'd love to see modeled.

if this belongs in another thread please move it accordingly

Last edited by RideauRat; Nov 16, 2020 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 1:48 PM

Thanks for creating this. Looks amazing!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2020, 2:15 PM

Further to William's observation about urban light industrial, I suppose this is just a display of what low-income residential and light industrial NIMBY's can do? i.e. NIMBY resistance to projects like this in Westboro would be a death knell for all these projects. Are we destined for high density residential in places of low-resistance forever? i.e. empty wastelands?

OR, is this just the way of cities? I'm not trying to argue it's a bad thing, just an observation. When Our-Lady-of-the-Westboro-Alleyway can't get legs, but 20 years of high-rises next to the highway can just go ahead no problem...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa