HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
It's really disgraceful.
It’s also been the plan to have the bus terminal there since Amtrak released their master plan several years ago. It makes so much sense to have all the transit over there. Greyhound is a shit bus company. They routinely have garbage “stations” that they make passengers wait at. Look at some youtube videos of a greyhound trip. While I agree we should get our shit together like NYC and Boston, it’s not entirely unsurprising they greyhound has contempt for their customers.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:16 PM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
I voted for Drew Murray but one thing that gave me pause about him was an interview he gave to the Inquirer where he said he voted for Trump because he's a party person. I don't know why he would do that if he's trying to show his independence. I doubt that made much of a difference for the election but it sure undercut my view of him as a moderate. For me, standing against Trumpism is like the bare minimum for anyone claiming to be a moderate.
Ill give anyone a break for voting for Trump in 2016. That was a completely different time & everyone wanted something different after Obama.

I was also more left at that time so I wasn’t all for Trump when he was elected, later on I liked some of his stances but he made the GOP to radical, and thats why they are losing races across the country today.

I just think it’s funny that progressives are claiming the two GOP seats are the reason the city is messed up. As if it hasnt been heavy democrat for decades & now its 90% democrats.

Luckily we have moderate & conservative dems to balance it out like PHLNYC said.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:17 PM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
It’s also been the plan to have the bus terminal there since Amtrak released their master plan several years ago. It makes so much sense to have all the transit over there. Greyhound is a shit bus company. They routinely have garbage “stations” that they make passengers wait at. Look at some youtube videos of a greyhound trip. While I agree we should get our shit together like NYC and Boston, it’s not entirely unsurprising they greyhound has contempt for their customers.
If its such a big deal to have the bus terminal at 30th they should have never destroyed the underground one on Market St by the Mellon

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:24 PM
Creative Ambitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I'm cautiously optimistic about Cherelle Parker. I was a huge Rhynhart supporter during the primaries, but Parker has grown on me a bit. I am 100% in support of what she plans to do in Kensington. If she can come up with a plan to break up what is essentially an open-air drug market on Kensington Avenue between the Conrail tracks to the south and Amtrak tracks to the north, then this city will be taking a major step forward. With violent crime already trending down pretty significantly this year, I'm confident that breaking the Kensington Avenue drug market would send our violent crime levels below those of 2019.
I think we have a recipe for success right now. Currently all major heads at the top has changed

Police commissioner is John Stanford & he will most likely be retained. He is a vet on the force that is well regarded & has already been more visible & audible since he has taken over.

McNesby is out at the FOP & the 2nd is presumably taking over

New Elected members of council that for the most part are levelheaded.

Even with Larry as DA still I think the new administration can make it work & get things under control. Kenney was clearly fed up & just quietly quitting since last years 4th of july event when he said it in 4K.

A big major improvement would be to get Williams out of streets, he’s one element that’s holding back how well the streets dept can function

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Went from a sidewalk to under a highway.

I just dont understand why they dont permanently move it to 30th st, thats the best location for the bus hub.
As least you can find a mall near by where you can go to the bathroom at 6th and market.

Is Philly actively trying to get rid of flixbus out of town?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I'm cautiously optimistic about Cherelle Parker. I was a huge Rhynhart supporter during the primaries, but Parker has grown on me a bit. I am 100% in support of what she plans to do in Kensington. If she can come up with a plan to break up what is essentially an open-air drug market on Kensington Avenue between the Conrail tracks to the south and Amtrak tracks to the north, then this city will be taking a major step forward. With violent crime already trending down pretty significantly this year, I'm confident that breaking the Kensington Avenue drug market would send our violent crime levels below those of 2019.
I do like her stance on Kensington and it's about time. I will say one of her very minor negative point is her hating on bike lanes, same with Curtis Jones. I don't understand the beef with adding bike lanes. It doesn't hurt traffic.

Anyways I do look forward to Parker tackling the open air drug market and improving life along the MFL. Both Kensington and FTC needs more police presence.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
I do like her stance on Kensington and it's about time. I will say one of her very minor negative point is her hating on bike lanes, same with Curtis Jones. I don't understand the beef with adding bike lanes. It doesn't hurt traffic.

Anyways I do look forward to Parker tackling the open air drug market and improving life along the MFL. Both Kensington and FTC needs more police presence.
Im in Parker's former district and Im not aware of her having a strong stance on bike lanes- honestly most of the streets in this area are wide and almost anytime a major arterial is repaved it gets a bike lane. Parking and street real estate issues are not nearly as prominent in this part of the city compared to south philly or center city. I'm not aware of any strong anti bike lane lobbying group in this part of Philly.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I'm looking forward to Parker.

This is the second election in which the turnout (both % and absolute # of votes) was higher in Allegheny County than it was in Philadelphia County, even though Philadelphia is considerably larger. And by a large margin. (358K votes cast in Allegheny, 266K in Philadelphia).

Most Philadelphians have no right to complain about anything at this point. The next time I hear somebody complain about something I'm going to ask them how they voted in off cycle elections then I'm going to promptly dismiss them.

Anyways. I voted for Murray hoping he could pull out an upset over Brooks as my 5th at large Rep. Turns out it didn't work.

Happy with Thomas, Gilmore Richardson, and Ahmad in particular though. With the exception of Brooks, I feel like this crop of council candidates is better than who they replaced. Still happy Gym is out of government.
elections in which the outcome is not in doubt do not attract lots of voters- this should not be surprising at all. Obviously you see much better turnout for presidential and senatorial elections that are competitive. The reality is with 266k voters or 500k voters the result was going to be the same in mayoral election.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 9:52 PM

Yeah...that 'new' bus location is a disgrace. Imagine getting a bus from NYC/DC to visit Philly and it dumps you underneath a dark interstate highway overpass next to a Gentlemen's Club in the pretty much barren outskirts of Center City.

And I used to think waiting on the sidewalk of JFK by 30th street a few years ago for Megabus/BoltBus in the rain was a trash experience...now that setup looks luxurious in comparison.

How is something so genuinely basic for public transit needs (a sheltered, centrally located intercity bus terminal) impossible to get right around here.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 12:33 AM

I’m surprised how much hate the new location is getting. It’ll be there for like a year. It’s right next to an mfl station, NoLibs and a ton of development. Sure the immediate area is still rough around the edges but it’s easy to get places. Better than having Market street clogged by busses right next to Independence Hall.

I agree that they’ve failed as far as making a long term solution, but that was the case long before this temporary “fix”. Any temporary solution would be bad, and I don’t think this one was uniquely bad.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
Im in Parker's former district and Im not aware of her having a strong stance on bike lanes- honestly most of the streets in this area are wide and almost anytime a major arterial is repaved it gets a bike lane. Parking and street real estate issues are not nearly as prominent in this part of the city compared to south philly or center city. I'm not aware of any strong anti bike lane lobbying group in this part of Philly.
TBH, it could be that she's pro bike lane but says she isn't because that's one way of getting shit done. Sometimes if you're just quiet about something, especially if it is a contentious issue, you just do it and go about your business without making great proclamations and 97% of people don't notice.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
elections in which the outcome is not in doubt do not attract lots of voters- this should not be surprising at all. Obviously you see much better turnout for presidential and senatorial elections that are competitive. The reality is with 266k voters or 500k voters the result was going to be the same in mayoral election.
We had a Supreme Court justice on the ballot. In today's political environment that is an incredibly important role.

Just the fact that so many people don't realize that is an issue.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 3:35 PM

Amazon resuming grocery store expansion

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ume-supermark/

I wonder if this means the 5th and SG location is back on? I'd been waiting to hear about a different grocer taking that space, but assuming Amazon didn't break the lease, maybe this will happen after all.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Fishtown View Post
https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ume-supermark/

I wonder if this means the 5th and SG location is back on? I'd been waiting to hear about a different grocer taking that space, but assuming Amazon didn't break the lease, maybe this will happen after all.
Whoa.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 5:19 PM

If there’s any brokers on here, please market the empty Target spaces to Amazon Fresh lol

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 5:30 PM

https://www.inquirer.com/food/restau...-20231114.html

Confirmation that Flight Club a darts/nightlife place is coming to 1400 block of Walnut. The article also says that MSC is looking for spaces for F1Arcade and Museum of Ice Cream.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 10:08 PM

Unlocking the Benjamin Franklin Parkway's Potential as a Great Urban Park

https://x.com/designadvocacy/status/...283193894?s=20

Promising that a meeting is coming up on this. May not be the most logistical but I would prefer even less roads especially in the middle of the proposal. Just seems like a lot of road to cross and I find that is the worst part of the current parkway layout is the lack of ways to cross it and the length of the roads to cross.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 10:35 PM

Checking Out the Progress of the Dilworth House Tower on Washington Square

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ington-square/

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 10:38 PM

A Couple More Floors Coming to Glassworkz Building in East Kensington

Quote:
Today, however, our amusement comes from researching a proposal at 1930 E. Huntingdon St. in East Kensington.

But now, onto our reason for checking out this site in the first place: a zoning permit was issued this week for a two-story addition, to be paired with some demo, to revamp this industrial-makers space.

What’s coming our way is a design from Parallel Architecture Studio that will repurpose part of the building, while demolishing another portion of the structure. Our initial assumption was that the tree-covered side yard would soon be parking, but the site plan indicates that this yard will remain, while the back of the building which faces E. Hazzard St. to the south will be demolished. Parking for 17 cars and 10 bicycles will be accessed from Hazzard, with a new five-story addition taking the spot of the lower portion of the property, and a two-story addition over the Huntingdon facade, which will remain. A total of 28 residential units will sit on the upper floors, with the residential lobby and industrial space taking up the first floor.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...st-kensington/

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 10:41 PM

Checking on Additional Additions Near the Huntingdon El

Quote:
We first come across 1838 E. Huntingdon St., a warehouse not from the golden industrial era, but from the 1950s. We last stopped by here in the summer of 2021, when we got word of a 52-unit proposal that would involve a four-story addition to the building. We didn’t have any design specifics back then, but there are plenty of updates over these last 800 days or so. First off, zoning permits (and demo permits) have been issued. Secondly, the size of the project has been scaled back, with the 52-unit proposal now a 49-unit proposal – conveniently avoiding the mandated and lengthy trips through the Civic Design Review process. Lastly, we have renderings! CosciaMoos has designed a contemporary addition that will provide parking for seven cars, along with plenty of industrial/artist space, per the IRMX zoning requirements.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...huntingdon-el/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development