HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
https://www.abc15.com/news/business/...ice-renovation

I don't understand what they're doing or what they all bought (i'll have to check county records later) but land banking isn't too far off.
I'm pretty sure this is the same person who owns the SWC of Central & Indian School. 'Masayno' is the holding company. He's a land banker and not a developer. Don't get your hopes up.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 4:45 AM

https://azbigmedia.com/business/ivy-...hq-in-phoenix/

Looks like another new Expansion at St. Joes's

Quote:
The Ivy Brain Tumor Center at Barrow Neurological Institute, the largest Phase 0 clinical trials program for aggressive brain tumors, announced its plans for a new 75,000-square-foot headquarters, with construction beginning in August. The five-story building will be the largest translational research center dedicated to brain tumor drug development in the world.

“The Ivy Center’s global headquarters will rise up both literally and figuratively as a beacon of hope for brain tumor patients all over the world who continue to find themselves at the bottom rung of the world’s drug development priorities. The Ivy Center’s innovative clinical trials and organizational structure are uniquely designed to level the playing field and usher in new drugs that could hold promise for our patients,” says Nader Sanai, MD, director of the Ivy Brain Tumor Center and neurosurgical oncologist at Barrow Neurological Institute.

READ ALSO: Promising treatment for glioblastoma tested at Ivy Brain Tumor Center

In the three years since its inception, the Ivy Center has positioned itself as a disruptive force in the brain tumor arena, screening and treating over 1,000 patients, recruiting over 40 full-time scientists, investigators and operational staff, collaborating with more than 25 biopharma companies, and opening 11 new clinical trials.

Currently, the Ivy Center resides within three buildings on the Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center campus. The new headquarters will bring the program under a single roof, including 30,000 square feet of wet laboratory space, 14,000 square feet for trials infrastructure, 7,000 square feet for multidisciplinary clinical consultation, an MR-guided ultrasound suite, and a video teleconference auditorium.

Construction of the new headquarters is expected to be completed in 2023. It will be located on the Dignity Health St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center campus in Downtown Phoenix, at the corner of Thomas Road and Third Avenue.

The continued success of the Ivy Center’s novel clinical trials program is made possible through the unwavering leadership of the Ben & Catherine Ivy Foundation, and support from the Barrow Neurological Foundation, Barrow Neurological Institute and Dignity Health.

“The progress achieved by the Ivy Center’s Phase 0 clinical trials program has surpassed anything I have seen in the 16 years I have been funding brain cancer research. The new building in Phoenix will serve to leverage this success, so the Center can move even faster to discover and develop a new FDA-approved therapy for brain cancer,” says Catherine Ivy, president and founder of the Ben & Catherine Ivy Foundation.

The announcement comes as the nation recognizes Glioblastoma Awareness Day, which honors the late Arizona Senator John McCain, who lost his life to this aggressive form of brain cancer in 2018. This day is dedicated to increasing public awareness of glioblastoma, honoring those who have been impacted by the disease and supporting efforts to develop better treatment options that will improve patients’ long-term prognosis.

While glioblastoma is considered one of the deadliest forms of brain cancer, with a median survival rate of 15 months, it is also a rare disease, with only about 18,000 new diagnoses each year. For this and other reasons, it has not received the same national attention or industry interest as other, more survivable cancer types.

“As we double-down on our efforts, we think of our patients and their families, past and present, who have suffered from this brutal disease. This is so much more than a new building announcement,” says Dr. Sanai. “It reaffirms our commitment to the brain tumor community that we will leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of new treatment options. We will engage more new agents and partnerships, conduct trials even faster, expand patient diversity and enhance our drug assessments.”

The Ivy Center is singularly focused on changing the narrative for this patient population and fulfilling a long-awaited, unmet need through its Phase 0 clinical trials program. This innovative approach to early-phase trialing addresses scientific and economic obstacles to brain tumor drug development. Through a precision medicine approach matching patients to new drug cocktails, tumor responses are assessed in a fraction of the time and cost typically associated with conventional clinical trials.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 8:28 PM

https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/par...SsW1-tWVhzuSNw

Some movement on the old Starbucks suite with a new restaurant concept from the founders of Gadzooks. I’m surprised the retail portion has remained fairly sterile here even with the influx of new residents/jobs in Midtown. Kobalt and Zips remain the only after sunset options.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
https://azbigmedia.com/lifestyle/par...SsW1-tWVhzuSNw

Some movement on the old Starbucks suite with a new restaurant concept from the founders of Gadzooks. I’m surprised the retail portion has remained fairly sterile here even with the influx of new residents/jobs in Midtown. Kobalt and Zips remain the only after sunset options.
I can't believe Kobalt is still around. I'm starting to feel old...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 7:39 AM

I know Starbucks closed a lot of locations where they couldn’t have a drive Thru but I can’t believe they closed this one with the new school, and apartments about to be finish. They definitely need a new coffee concept in this center too, does anyone know if there is room for retail in the apartments?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 2:13 PM

Unfortunately, the ground floor of the apartments is only building amenity spaces, no commercial retail space was included.

Curious if they are still going to build the free standing Starbucks drive-thru just north of the Entry Sign as it was proposed awhile back.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 3:58 PM

The SWC of Monterrey and Central is still planned for a hotel I believe (a Hilton concept), that was supposed to start construction in 2020. Which leaves the NWC of Earll Dr and Central open to the Starbucks drive thru. My speculation is this is where it will be sited.

If they relocated the Starbucks into the ground floor of the Creigton off Central, it could’ve knocked two birds with one stone: Central Ave activation and caffeine for the starving students.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 4:59 PM

Starbucks will be coming back, as well as other new restaurants to fill the space out. See below.

https://cem-az.com/park-central-to-d...ooks-founders/

Park Central to Debut Two New Concepts From Gadzooks Founders

Restaurant and retail openings include Poolboy, Green Woodpecker and Starbucks relocation
Park Central is getting ready to make exciting restaurant and retail changes with a new site along Central Ave in the northeast portion of the property.

This new building will open mid-2022 and will be the host for a new concept from the creators of Gadzooks Enchiladas & Soup called Poolboy, as well as the relocation of Starbucks. A second new concept from the Gadzooks team called Green Woodpecker will also be built in the original Starbucks location at Park Central.

The buildings will incorporate a stunning mid-century modern design that compliments the overall design aesthetic of the revitalized Park Central development.

The family behind the wildly popular Gadzooks restaurants, brothers Aaron and Jared Pool, are bringing an elevated dining experience to Park Central with their latest concept, a new Mexican restaurant called Poolboy.

The project will be located at the Earll Dr. and Central Ave. entrance and will feature stunning glass façade and timeless architecture showcased at the renovated Park Central. The project includes design and experiential detail, patio spaces reaching out to Central Avenue, ample shade from the Arizona sun and walkability from mass transit, light rail and nearby neighborhoods. With the existing Willo neighborhood to the south and significant new multifamily development around the project, the new building and its shaded design should prove a popular draw for nearby residents.

The same team, along with partner Mike Swofford, is also breathing new life into the high-profile corner space along the front of the project with their Green Woodpecker concept, a tap room paying homage to one of the iconic tenants from Park Central with its name. The space was previously occupied by Starbucks, and will boast heightened patio experiences with and indoor/ outdoor bar for patrons to enjoy the numerous beers available. The local is directly next to Kobalt Bar and the new Aspire Park Central apartments.

Starbucks will be remaining on site at Park Central in a newly constructed building adjacent to where Poolboy is going on Central Ave. This will be a new drive-thru location focused on the integration of the physical and digital customer experience. Starbucks is focused on expanding customer-led store formats and this location will highlight with the drive-thru and other digital options.

“We felt that Park Central was an ideal location for this concept and we’re confident that all of these restaurants will be successful there,” he said. “Park Central is emerging as a true hub in the central Phoenix corridor and we believe this is the perfect time to become a part of it.”

Sharon Harper, Chairman and CEO of Plaza Companies, one of the co-developers of Park Central, said that the new restaurants will continue to add momentum to the overall maturation of the redevelopment.

“We are thrilled to be partnering with these incredibly talented operators and to bring back the Starbucks to Park Central as well,” Harper said. “Park Central has injected a great deal of energy into the central Phoenix area, and these new restaurants will make it even more of a destination.”

Plaza Companies and Tucson’s Holualoa Companies have teamed up to redevelop Park Central into a vibrant destination, which once was the city’s first official large-scale shopping mall. The companies have transitioned the expansive space from a retail center to an almost 500,000-square-foot bustling community hub ideal for playing, working, congregating and celebrating the arts.

Stan Shafer, Chief Operating Officer for Holualoa Companies, said the new buildings and tenants will integrate well with the existing Park Central property and provide additional options for the community and tenants.

“These restaurants are an ideal addition to Park Central and will help it continue to be a premier location for people to live, work and play,” he said. “The vision for Park Central is to make it a truly mixed-use project with significant amenities on site, and this is another step in that direction.”

The new Park Central includes 450,000 square feet of Class A low-rise creative office space available for lease with the ability to accommodate tenants ranging from 3,500 square feet to more than 100,000 square feet in size. It features exclusive tenant patios, on-site restaurants and amenities, a stunning mid-century modern design, 15-25 foot ceilings, extensive bike paths and light rail access and ample parking. For more information on the project, visit www.parkcentralphoenix.com.

For office leasing, tenants and brokers can reach out to Andrew Cheney with Lee & Associates (602.954.3769) or Bill Cook with Plaza Companies (623.344.4526). For Retail leasing contacts are Brent Mallonee with Cushman and Wakefield (602.224.4437) or Margaret Lloyd with Plaza Companies (623.344.4558).

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 2:58 PM

Anyone have renderings of this building? Any renderings of the hotel??

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 5:11 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Anyone have renderings of this building? Any renderings of the hotel??
Posted below. The hotel is far off if it gets built. All that have been submitted are a FACT and a PAPP which were submitted 9/2019 and the PAPP is expired. I feel Park Central can do better than this for the space, so I am ok if it does not happen for something better down the road.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 1:17 AM

An upcoming comprehensive sign plan is now calling the Millennium apartments ‘Aspire Park Central.’ Not to be confused with Aspire Fillmore

Old Posted Sep 29, 2021, 10:16 PM
Modulator

Lots of reviews and permits submitted on the 24th for "Starbucks and Retail Building". A little puzzling as the project number (20-753) is the same as the Home2Tru Hotel that was proposed to be built.

Does anyone know if Starbucks was to be built with the hotel or if the hotel was scrapped? I'll submit a records request to see what's specifically planned.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Lots of reviews and permits submitted on the 24th for "Starbucks and Retail Building". A little puzzling as the project number (20-753) is the same as the Home2Tru Hotel that was proposed to be built.

Does anyone know if Starbucks was to be built with the hotel or if the hotel was scrapped? I'll submit a records request to see what's specifically planned.
I know Starbucks is a stand alone building with another spot where Gadzooks is supposed to put something in. The Starbucks is going to have a drive thru. Hopefully the hotel is still going in just north of this.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
I know Starbucks is a stand alone building with another spot where Gadzooks is supposed to put something in. The Starbucks is going to have a drive thru. Hopefully the hotel is still going in just north of this.
If memory serves the small rectangle lot facing Osborn was going to be the Starbucks drive through with a restaurant building on the corner of the entrance Earl and central and the home 2 suites Monterrey Way and Central (kitty-corner from the old jack in the box)

There was a site plan at some point somewhere.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
SWC of Central and Monterrey. According to 2nd link below, there's a drive-thru Starbucks (boo) going in, immediately due south from that corner, facing Central.

https://buildout.com/plugins/invento...ocument=725409

This brochure contains other info:
https://buildout.com/plugins/invento...ocument=737128
This was what I shared almost a year ago so who knows if still accurate. 2nd Link - Slide 6 shows where the Starbucks would go as well.

PBJ article from last year had mentioned the dual-branded Home2 Suites and Tru by Hilton Hotel was scheduled to break ground by end of 2020

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 5:18 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
This was what I shared almost a year ago so who knows if still accurate. 2nd Link - Slide 6 shows where the Starbucks would go as well.

PBJ article from last year had mentioned the dual-branded Home2 Suites and Tru by Hilton Hotel was scheduled to break ground by end of 2020
Ugh...all those drive-thu pads. I swear it seems the more this city tries to identify itself as a more urban core, we keep getting things like this that ruin it. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those pads ends up becoming a Raising Cane's with the Duke Photography building plan seemingly falling through.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 5:47 PM

Get used to it. Drive thru is king right now. My friends in commercial are pretty much all assessing where they can find places to build drive thrus.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 7:15 PM
Skyriser

The urban core is ironically gentrifying with suburban commercial crap. All of these areas with the standard 1980s zoning code are going to get just that. The developers don't care enough about setbacks to hire zoning attorneys if they have the land.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Ugh...all those drive-thu pads. I swear it seems the more this city tries to identify itself as a more urban core, we keep getting things like this that ruin it. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those pads ends up becoming a Raising Cane's with the Duke Photography building plan seemingly falling through.
Drive through > Parking lot > dirt

The Retail pad can always be torn down and replaced with a 6 story apartment block in 20 years when the demand exists. On a side note, living in the area I'd be fine with a Raising Canes that close to my house lol

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 3:43 AM

Drive thru’s are happening now cause of COVID. Starbucks were the ones that closed a lot of the locations without a drive thru because frankly drive thrus are good for business. Remember at the same time, bikini beans is being torn down for apartments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest