HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 4:17 AM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
Great post. Important to compare this to other actually executed arena "development" schemes from other cities.
2 more cents
I think we should see the Riverfront much like NY treated Battery Park City. In my eyes the most successful urban waterfront development. Mostly residential. Traditional tree-lined cobblestoned streets, brick detailing, lush landscaping. Helping to tie Penn's Landing to Old City and Society Hill. A continuous waterfront promenade. Added to the west of West Side Highway, much like Columbus Blvd (to be renamed "Delaware River Boulevard")

NO ARENAS!

Battery Park City Portrait x

Battery Park City Plan

Tree-lined streets
Battery Park City Streets x

Battery Park City Scape

Landscaped Waterfront Promenades
Battery Park City Park x

battery-park-city-apartments

Battery Park Esplanade

Photograph by Wayne Chasan

Last edited by SEFTA; Sep 1, 2020 at 4:36 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Is the Jefferson project they’re referencing the East Market tower? If so, isn’t it supposed to be about 30 floors?
It's 19 (or 20) floors, but 362ft.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 3:14 PM

CDR September Submissions

700 Delaware Ave
-This went last month as well, so they're returning again
-488 total apartments and ground floor retail in two 7-story buildings
PDF:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20200825...8-2020-CDR.pdf

1901 N. American Street
-We've seen renderings of this already. This street is on fire!!
-Fantastic design
-6-story building
-Apartments with ground floor retail
PDF:

3449 Scotts Lane
-On the edge of East Falls and Allegheny West
-Three 4-story buildings
-220 total apartments
PDF:

3314 Fairmount Ave
-Mantua section of West Philly
-6-story building
-90 apartments with ground floor commercial/industrial
PDF:

4701 Pine St
-Garden Court section of West Philly
-7-story building
PDF:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20200826...8-2020-CDR.pdf

1 Red Lion Rd
-Bustleton section of Northeast Philly
-New 1,000,000+ sq. ft. distribution center for UPS
PDF:
-220 total apartments, ground floor retail/commercial

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 3:18 PM

Mixed-Use Project on 10th & Girard Getting a 2nd Phase and a New Look

Quote:
When we last covered this property, the developers had a plan to build a six-story building with 120 apartments, 12K sqft of retail space, and 44 underground parking spaces. This plan retained the tennis center next door, seemingly fulfilling the civic use requirement in the deed restriction. And oh, the renderings from SgRA were pretty great.

Today, you can see that the old tennis courts are gone, with construction starting earlier this year and stair and elevator towers now evident. And the building that housed the old tennis center remains intact, even though we don’t believe it’s actively being used right now.

Now it appears the the former home of the tennis center is not long for this world, as the developers are now planning a second phase of their project. Per the Civic Design Review packets released yesterday, another building could rise on the western portion of this property, adding an additional 120 units, 11,500 sqft of commercial space, and 55 underground parking spots to the mix.
Phase 1 under construction:

Rendering of Phase 1 and proposed Phase 2 addition:

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...phase-new-look

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 3:55 PM

220 Units Planned on Border of Allegheny West & East Falls

Read more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/220-uni...st-east-falls/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 3:59 PM

179 Units + Retail Proposed on American St. in Kensington

Quote:
The transformation of N. American St. in Kensington from an industrial center to a mixed-use corridor will take another step forward if a new proposal at 1705 N. American St. comes to fruition. 1705 N. American St. is a 38,198 square foot Industrial Commercial Mixed-Use (ICMX) zoned property that currently is the location of Drexel Foods, a chicken and beef product provider.

Developers are proposing to build a 73 foot tall, 182,000 square foot structure with 179 residential units, 9,900 square feet of commercial space, 42 automobile parking spots, and 100 bike spaces.

Read more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/179-uni...in-kensington/

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 6:26 PM

I was walking around Northern Liberties today, and it’s amazing how much the projects are growing so rapidly. I couldn’t get good photos of North Liberty Triangle, South Liberty Triangle, or the Piazza part deux; however, they’re looking great and going to make the entirety of NoLibs appear very dense.

I did get to photo a couple projects. 807 N 3rd Street is coming along nicely and has topped out. It would be so much better with retail, but still a fairly handsome project.

However, the project at 3rd and Poplar is massive. I’m happy with how this one is turning out and hope it provides a little retail.

This is a view of the 3rd & Poplar peeking over Liberty Lands Park.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 10:23 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsondvm2015 View Post
I was walking around Northern Liberties today, and it’s amazing how much the projects are growing so rapidly. I couldn’t get good photos of North Liberty Triangle, South Liberty Triangle, or the Piazza part deux; however, they’re looking great and going to make the entirety of NoLibs appear very dense.
I was driving south from Kensington on 2nd and was so surprised by how different NoLibs feels at 2nd and Girard. I was by there just a couple weeks ago and it already feels BIGGER...and this is without even being able to see Piazza Terminal creeping up in the background yet. It’s going to be quite a residential hub once all of these projects rise and wrap up in quick succession.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 11:03 PM
Show me the blueprints

My god the utility lines...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 12:13 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
My god the utility lines...
Is there a reason philly isn't putting the lines underground?

I think we are the only city slacking behind in above ground lines still.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:06 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post

Most cities in North America and East Asia have above-ground utility lines. Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul, Taipei, New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Its not the City's responsibility- they don't own the lines and cost would be the #1, #2 and #3 reason not to do it. Not to mention the area under the sidewalk is congested already with other utilities.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Most cities in North America and East Asia have above-ground utility lines. Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul, Taipei, New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Seattle...
This is a bit of a stretch - most of these cities are all buried in a HUGE section in and around their core - we're only buried in small chunk of Center City river to river. And now that we're expanding greater Center City's "boundaries" it's a bit of a joke.

Where in NYC? Staten Island and Queens? come on.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:18 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
This is a bit of a stretch - most of these cities are all buried in a HUGE section in and around their core - we're only buried in small chunk of Center City river to river. And now that we're expanding greater Center City's "boundaries" it's a bit of a joke.

Yea I knew I wasn't trippin, I travel to NY and I haven't seen overhead lines like I do in Philly, Only Center city has lines underground and the rest of the city is lined up like its 1900.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:19 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
Its not the City's responsibility- they don't own the lines and cost would be the #1, #2 and #3 reason not to do it. Not to mention the area under the sidewalk is congested already with other utilities.
They should be moving lines underground when they reconstruct the Sidewalks/streets.

3 birds with 1 stone.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post

Seriously.

I live in the center of Brooklyn in an area that's been relatively run down and only has received renewed interest in the past 3-4 years (Crown Heights).

There's not a utility line in site.

At a minimum, Philadelphia should require that when a project is of a certain scale (i.e. a full city block) burying the lines that run along the project's perimeter should be required.

In places like Northern Liberties and South Kensington, this would have almost by default buried many of the lines at some point.

Another missed opportunity. I would never assume Kenney could ever think of something like this, considering he can't even pick up the trash. But I digress.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Seriously.

I live in the center of Brooklyn in an area that's been relatively run down and only has received renewed interest in the past 3-4 years (Crown Heights).

There's not a utility line in site.

At a minimum, Philadelphia should require that when a project is of a certain scale (i.e. a full city block) burying the lines that run along the project's perimeter should be required.

In places like Northern Liberties and South Kensington, this would have almost by default buried many of the lines at some point.

Another missed opportunity. I would never assume Kenney could ever think of something like this, considering he can't even pick up the trash. But I digress.
Agreed. Speaking as someone who has never given a shit about the aesthetics of power lines, it's still just really perplexing from a practical standpoint that we haven't slowly been migrating them underground when there are opportunities like those you describe or when a road is getting torn up anyway to replace a gas line or a water line. It's just safer and more reliable.

The best time to start a program like this would have 30 years ago. But the second best time is now.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 4:06 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
They should be moving lines underground when they reconstruct the Sidewalks/streets.

3 birds with 1 stone.

I always think about it when after a bad storm, 1000s of utility trucks are dispatched replacing downed power lines etc.
My cynical mind can't help but think that it's an entire industry unto itself. $MILLIONS each storm.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 7:31 PM

Quote:

3 birds with 1 stone.
apparently you aren't understanding what Im saying. There is no available real estate in many cases and you would have to move existing infrastructure in some cases to make room. You have to go much deeper than is required for a simple sidewalk replacement- that is a depth of like 4". Feeds for commercial buildings and schools are usually underground...partially because of the voltage coming in, most large buildings have their own transformers to step down voltage.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post

I always think about it when after a bad storm, 1000s of utility trucks are dispatched replacing downed power lines etc.
My cynical mind can't help but think that it's an entire industry unto itself. $MILLIONS each storm.
mostly in the suburbs where lines are usually in close proximity to trees. This isn't nearly as big of a problem in Philly where most service comes in through back alleys and rear shared driveways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development