HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 12:33 PM

I don't see any problem with the 25, but the way things are going - I would be happy with the 20. It would bring some urbanity to the area and would be quite visible from the Dartmouth side being on a higher elevation. Not a huge fan of the color choices but still a nice building!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 1:08 PM

I am VERY skeptical of those renderings. There's no way you can have that much glass wall and meet energy code requirements. I suspect that if this gets built it'll be much less "light and airy".

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 2:42 PM

The problem with 20, from an aesthetic perspective, is that the building is designed to be closer to 30 storeys. It looks okay at 25, but at 20 it'd be, well, stubby and much less graceful looking.

I think the original proposed height was fine for the location, but in the interests of pragmatism I'd like to see the Centre Plan finalized and all of this debate end. I'd rather see the project move forward on that assumption, and redesigned appropriately.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
The problem with 20, from an aesthetic perspective, is that the building is designed to be closer to 30 storeys. It looks okay at 25, but at 20 it'd be, well, stubby and much less graceful looking.

Stubby and sawed off is now called "The Halifax School of Architecture".

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Stubby and sawed off is now called "The Halifax School of Architecture".
Sadly, you are correct. The skyline now looks smaller and duller than it did before the new slabs went up. It’s all context. When they built the hulking “bow”in Calgary it made the whole skyline shrink because of its width. Ah well. At least we have our fantastic library and that wonderful new Argyle St.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:47 PM

Just appears to be another case of typical modern uninspired architecture. You could make it 40 floors and it still would be 'meh'. You can only do so much to a glass box to try to make it not look like every other glass box, so... "meh".

On another note, I find it slightly humourous how the reflections on the renderings are done in a way to make it appear 'light and airy' - like you can almost look through the building, when in fact it it is just concrete and steel with relatively featureless glass and cladding, like every other new building out there.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 12:02 AM

I quite like the willow leaves on the glass and much better than the leaves on the library glass

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
I quite like the willow leaves on the glass and much better than the leaves on the library glass
Library glass also looked much better in renderings.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 1:28 PM

I read an article saying residents feel 25 stories is unreasonable for the location. 25 stories . If not a MAJOR commercial strip in the heart of the city, then where? And 25 stories is really not that high. That said I believe the centre plan sets the limit there to 20?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 3:03 PM
hi

We are the Skyscraper Condemnation Affiliate.
God save Tudor houses, antique tables, and billiards.

Last edited by bluenoser; Jan 15, 2018 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 5:03 PM

The public hearing was last night. Every wingnut NIMBY came out of the woodwork. People were crying, sobbing, singing... it was simply ridiculous. It was so bad that the Haivens, who led off the proceedings, came across as somewhat reasonable in comparison. What a waste of time.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 6:26 PM

Quote:
The public hearing was last night. Every wingnut NIMBY came out of the woodwork. People were crying, sobbing, singing... it was simply ridiculous. It was so bad that the Haivens, who led off the proceedings, came across as somewhat reasonable in comparison. What a waste of time.
Except for the part where Larry Haiven quoted Martin Luther King: ""If you stick a knife in my back nine inches and pull it out six inches, there's no progress.” To be clear, MLK was talking about civil rights and racial justice. Haiven was talking about five storeys on a building he doesn't like. (To give a sense of the delusional grandiosity in the man's thinking.)

Anyway, council voted 16-1 today (Lorelei Nicoll voting against) to defer the matter until March, pending a staff report on density bonusing. Which means they've basically decided they're open to 25 storeys, if Armco sweetens the pot vis-a-vis public benefits. I believe the main thing they'd be looking for us more affordable-housing units.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 7:14 PM

I find it incredibly offensive that people would use MLKs words to express their feeling about a freekin’ apartment build they don’t like. Yup... building heights and fighter for the right not to be murdered for being black... totally the same thing. These NIMBYs disgust me.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:08 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
I find it incredibly offensive that people would use MLKs words to express their feeling about a freekin’ apartment build they don’t like. Yup... building heights and fighter for the right not to be murdered for being black... totally the same thing. These NIMBYs disgust me.
I share your view

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 1:48 AM

Quote:
The crying mother was a bit much they rushed her so she could explain how Vancouver was ruined by tall buildings and we should only allow 5 story as the maximum for all buildings quoting a Netflix documentary.

Listening to all the old self righteous blue hairs call anyone who supported the development stupid and quotes like "I don't think that man has a grade school education." riled me up and took everything in my power not to point out the stupidity of their own positions.

Another quotable line of the night was Councillor Lindell Smith grasping at straws and asking "Do shadows make it more difficult to make ice on the Oval?"

I have to say the developer has worked well with what was asked by the city. The affordable housing units are in-line with the Centre Plan, they are receptive of burying the utilities, and have a built in bus shelter.

I began to wonder about the fabled Centre Plan and applied the same logic people seem to be using. I don't want any buildings being approved until RP-60 is passed and all homes will need to have a flying car port or they don't get an occupancy permit. Cold fusion reactors in every home too. Staff will someday be preparing RP-60 so we should pause the city exactly where it is until we pass that mythical plan. I know the Centre Plan is closer to completion but until it is voted on and passed into law, each are just as applicable when talking about right now.
Sorry for the rant just still stewing after last night.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 1:52 AM

^^^ Good rant, no need to apologize!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:56 AM

The usual NDP crowd of well off pensioners then moved on to Timmies today.

The score last night : Old Farts 0 Younger folks 1

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post

ENOUGH blaming OLD FARTS. I am almost 71 and far more supportive of development and tall buildings than many of the younger folks on this forum. Please be more respectful with your BROAD BRUSH

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post

I think that despite his usual bloviating about it being TOO TALL, his "but Centre Plan!" BS, and pandering to the likes of the Haivens and their moneyed south-end ilk, "No Waye" Mason is going to lose this one, based upon the discussions I read about at Council on Wednesday.

It would be far more useful for an elected member to focus on maximizing the street-level public benefits instead of demonizing height.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
ENOUGH blaming OLD FARTS. I am almost 71 and far more supportive of development and tall buildings than many of the younger folks on this forum. Please be more respectful with your BROAD BRUSH
You can be an exception but it doesn't change the fact that it is the old people making fool of themselves in public hearings and holding this city hostage with their nimbyism.

EDIT: Would like to add "mostly old people"

Last edited by yal; Jan 18, 2018 at 2:55 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth