HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman View Post
From what I heard, Winnipeg wasn't rejected, Winnipeg didn't want to be a hub and made no pitch right off the bat. Whether or not we could have been a viable option is a different discussion. Not sure the why the need to make it sound like we tried and were told to go away.
That sounds plausible, but on the other hand if it's true it does seem odd that Winnipeg would not be interested in bidding to be a NHL hub city but would then right away chase after being a CFL hub city so aggressively, especially when the risk level associated with the CFL is arguably higher (more players, higher proportion of Americans).

Vancouver is the model for cities that don't want to be a sports hub... they simply told both leagues they're not interested.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:06 PM

The NHL millionaire hoity toity's need there gold standard rooms, chocolates on their pillows and all the fluff because they are spoiled rotten. I could care less that the hub city is not here. In fact, I'd prefer the CFL stay away too. There's really no benefit. Pallister dished out $2.5 million. Will there be any economic benefit above that amount? Likely not.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:11 PM

^ But that's what's funny about it... most of the rooms at the JW Marriott are hardly distinguishable from the ones at the Delta. And a bunch of the teams are staying at the Sutton Place which is basically the same thing as the Delta here. I mean, are you telling me that no hotel in Winnipeg can offer what is by all appearances a standard business hotel room like the ones at the Sutton Place?!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The NHL millionaire hoity toity's need there gold standard rooms, chocolates on their pillows and all the fluff because they are spoiled rotten. I could care less that the hub city is not here. In fact, I'd prefer the CFL stay away too. There's really no benefit. Pallister dished out $2.5 million. Will there be any economic benefit above that amount? Likely not.
Government estimate pegs it at $45 million is business sales, $4.5 million in direct taxes, $4m in hotel stays, helping support 600 jobs.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:22 PM

For the CFL? They're going to spend $45 million? On what? lol They're playing a 6 game regular season and playoffs. So like 10 weeks or so.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
For the CFL? They're going to spend $45 million? On what? lol They're playing a 6 game regular season and playoffs. So like 10 weeks or so.
For the CFL. The press release pegged it at 60 games, 15 weeks,and around 800 people coming in. It does seem high but I have no idea what the cost is to put on a CFL game.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:47 PM

I guess we'll find out soon if it's happening, the return to play committee has set July 31 as the final deadline for moving along with a 2020 season. (Although if the government called them on August 6 and said they have funding, I'm sure there would be some room for flexibility...)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I guess we'll find out soon if it's happening, the return to play committee has set July 31 as the final deadline for moving along with a 2020 season. (Although if the government called them on August 6 and said they have funding, I'm sure there would be some room for flexibility...)
The difficult reality here is with an open area stadium (only CFL city with an enclosed stadium in Vancouver) winter puts a pretty major barrier in the end date for the season. As is the league has cut the games down to the bare minimum to be viable. Just hope they don't get hit with any major weather delays if they do proceed. Imagine a Friday night double header where the first game needs to be pushed to after midnight...

In terms of hotels for the CFL I think the idea situation would be to find separate accommodations for each team to limit interactions outside of games. Reality is a number of CFL players at any time can have somewhat grey pasts outside of football. Putting players from different teams in close quarters 24/7 for an extended period will result in physical altercations. if you limit it to players on the same team that will be slightly less risk of significant esclations.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The difficult reality here is with an open area stadium (only CFL city with an enclosed stadium in Vancouver) winter puts a pretty major barrier in the end date for the season. As is the league has cut the games down to the bare minimum to be viable. Just hope they don't get hit with any major weather delays if they do proceed. Imagine a Friday night double header where the first game needs to be pushed to after midnight...
Yes and no... there are cold weather NFL cities that play outside in freezing cold weather in December and even into the playoffs in January (Chicago, Denver, Green Bay, Buffalo, etc.), so playing outside then is not necessarily unprecedented for pro football.

Also, with football you're still realistically looking at one game a week per team, maybe two in a week max (but not every week). So a double header on Friday could work but it would involve an early start at, say, 5 with the second game at, say, 8:30. Put the eastern teams on for the early game, the western teams on for the later game and it works.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
For the CFL. The press release pegged it at 60 games, 15 weeks,and around 800 people coming in. It does seem high but I have no idea what the cost is to put on a CFL game.
I guess. Seems like a lot of money for some guys to sit around in hotels.

I suppose there is some effort required to have everything staged properly at the stadium to minimize contact with each other. And the cost of maintenance crews for the stadium.

They're not spending $45 million on food and tv thats for sure.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 5:21 PM

^ Yeah, good point... sanitizing and constant cleaning would certainly cost a pile of dough. I wonder if there would be any physical alterations to the stadium that are necessary?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Yes and no... there are cold weather NFL cities that play outside in freezing cold weather in December and even into the playoffs in January (Chicago, Denver, Green Bay, Buffalo, etc.), so playing outside then is not necessarily unprecedented for pro football.
All cities were winter doesn't get as cold as Winnipeg.

Quote:
Also, with football you're still realistically looking at one game a week per team, maybe two in a week max (but not every week). So a double header on Friday could work but it would involve an early start at, say, 5 with the second game at, say, 8:30. Put the eastern teams on for the early game, the western teams on for the later game and it works.
Tradition is the early Friday night game of a double header starts around 6 pm Winnipeg time and the late game starts about 9:30 pm. Due to Covid19 its likely there would need to be a longer gap between games unless some creative solution is done to make two more dressing rooms at IG Field, perhaps one could be from converting the Pinnacle lounge? Also does the Bisons football team have a home dressing room? The other challenge v past seasons is normally the pre-game warm up for the late game is running on a separate field as the first game is in the second half. You obviously cannot overlap those with only one facility. That said TSN commentators have a fair bid of experience at filling dead air time now.

Speaking of the TSN commentators - I wonder if they would be part of the CFL crew locating to Winnipeg full time. Having them around all week with the players, practices etc could really give a different coverage package for the league with perhaps a daily package from them.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
I guess. Seems like a lot of money for some guys to sit around in hotels.
There is a lot more that goes on that playing a game for a few hours a week. They obviously have practices on most days, watch film, do other conditioning/physio. It's not like they are going to be gorging on the buffet all day long while sitting around the hotel playing Madden with their teammates.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
All cities were winter doesn't get as cold as Winnipeg.
Well, yeah, but the circumstances are a little exceptional. Some flexibility is required. If no one wants to be outside in December then save everyone the hassle and shut the season down now...

Quote:
Tradition is the early Friday night game of a double header starts around 6 pm Winnipeg time and the late game starts about 9:30 pm. Due to Covid19 its likely there would need to be a longer gap between games unless some creative solution is done to make two more dressing rooms at IG Field, perhaps one could be from converting the Pinnacle lounge? Also does the Bisons football team have a home dressing room? The other challenge v past seasons is normally the pre-game warm up for the late game is running on a separate field as the first game is in the second half. You obviously cannot overlap those with only one facility. That said TSN commentators have a fair bid of experience at filling dead air time now.
The Bisons do have their own locker room, and I believe there are CFL and U Sports visitor dressing rooms. I'm sure there are others but 4 would do the job if there's a double header.

The in-between cleaning time is a good point, I'm sure there would be some spraydown of the field, benches, tunnels, etc. in between games. So there would probably have to be quite a gap between games if they do doubleheaders, they can't really go back to back. But that said it's not like TSN is exactly swimming in content right now. It might make more sense just to do one game each night Wed-Sat or something like that.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
6 games per team plus playoffs....so 29 games.

The multiplier on the $2.5 million is not great, especially considering the whole thing depends on the Feds fronting (and likely just handing over) $50 million and you can anticipate the Feds and Province being begged to cover any overruns on this season by the CFL.

The $2.5 million doesn't lead to that spending directly, so disingenuous of a government to try to say that while they do everything they can to avoid funding a proper return to school and childcare that would actually allow economic recovery.

Tax dollars/government debt are funding this whole CFL season if it does happen. Why isn't Pallister as outraged about that as he is the CERB?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 2:44 PM

That's 600 people that need to be housed, fed, shop, practice, play, etc... $45m in spending doesn't seem that crazy to me. 45m divided by 600 is an economic spinoff of $75,000/person over 4 months. That's not accounting for taking all the costs of actually running the stadium/league being taken out of the total.

If Toronto didn't end up becoming an NHL hub I'm sure the CFL would have done it at Rogers Centre as it is domed, with hotels attached, and the Jays aren't playing there.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That's 600 people that need to be housed, fed, shop, practice, play, etc... $45m in spending doesn't seem that crazy to me. 45m divided by 600 is an economic spinoff of $75,000/person over 4 months. That's not accounting for taking all the costs of actually running the stadium/league being taken out of the total.

If Toronto didn't end up becoming an NHL hub I'm sure the CFL would have done it at Rogers Centre as it is domed, with hotels attached, and the Jays aren't playing there.
It's just over 2 months that teams would be in Winnipeg.

Last proposal to the players was regular season starts September 14th, 6 games and playoffs to end last weekend in November.

Players are balking at 1/3 salary due to risk of injury and missing a season with full pay potentially in 2021. American players are in a real tough spot aside from QB's and a few other guys making well into six figures given how they are taxed on both sides of the border, the exchange and costs. They are looking at not making much of anything.

https://3downnation.com/2020/07/30/o...ank-of-canada/

Whole thing is contingent on "financing" from BDC co-signed by provinces.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 4:41 AM

Fort Garry Hotel taken off the market. It will now join Choice's Ascend Collection. A somewhat aspirational property for the normally budget-minded Choice Privileges members:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...571961492.html

https://www.choicehotels.com/en-ca/m...d-hotels/cnb72

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 5:49 AM

Now the Marlborough hotel is for sale.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Now the Marlborough hotel is for sale.
https://www.collierscanada.com/en-ca...ada/can2005314

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan