HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 4:42 AM

Also, technically the Flatiron Flyer is 6 bus lines, although they all pretty much start and stop at the same location except for the FF5 which starts in DT Boulder and ends at Anschutz.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 4:13 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
technically the Flatiron Flyer is 6 bus lines
Meh. I'd call it one line with 6 service patterns. Just like the Colfax bus is one line with two service patterns (regular and limited).

It negatively affects our ability to plan holistically around buses if we insist each little service pattern tweak is an independent line. What matters most is the trunk service.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:00 PM
ColoRADo

Busiest Bus corridors/routes (weekday ridership, 2014, back of the napkin):

MallRide - ~45k-50k
E. Colfax (15/15L) - ~26k
FF (Multiple) - ~ 14k
W. Colfax (16/16L) - ~12k
Broadway/Lincoln (0/0L) - ~11k
Federal (30/30L/31) - ~10k

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:35 PM

So 2nd busiest line in the system, not counting the outlier mall ride. After 6 months. That looks like success to me.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:45 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
That looks like success to me.
But it's not a train.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 9:22 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

Quote:
Granted, I know there are 6 FF lines running currently which helps bolster those numbers, but why would we even still consider the rail up to Boulder, when bus is proving to get the job done (and then some) for a fraction of the cost?
Not to mention - where I live at least, if I'm not biking I would still take the bus even if a train was running. It won't run as often, roughly takes the same time, since I'm near 36 the proposed station is much further away, and I have more options (downtown or E Boulder).

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 10:34 PM

That was always the rails' biggest issue, is that it went nowhere near the population centers except in downtown Louisville. These ridership numbers really goes to show how successful a decently implemented regional bus system (BRT-Lite?) can be here.

Does this now give proper ammunition for RTD to just nix the NW rail line past Westminster?

Realistically the only municipalities who really get shafted by no rail past Westminster is Lafayette & Louisville. I would argue that Boulder never really gained anything from it, and as the predicted ridership show, the were never projected to use it. Longmont too, for the most part, was never going to use it to get to downtown, it would just take too long for a commuter.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 11:56 PM

Oh, I do love secrets

"11 secrets of the Denver International Airport RTD train station"
April 6, 2016 by Deb Stanley Denver7
Quote:
DENVER - It's been nearly 19 years since RTD conducted its first study of how to build a train to Denver International Airport. Starting April 22, it becomes a reality when passenger train service begins to DIA.

Secret No. 1: The A in A line stands for Airport.

The "A" designation was saved for a future "Airport" line almost twenty years ago, according to RTD. That's why the light rail lines in Denver are labeled C, D, E, F, H and W.
and so on....

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 12:04 AM

Quote:
That was always the rails' biggest issue, is that it went nowhere near the population centers except in downtown Louisville. These ridership numbers really goes to show how successful a decently implemented regional bus system (BRT-Lite?) can be here.

Does this now give proper ammunition for RTD to just nix the NW rail line past Westminster?

Realistically the only municipalities who really get shafted by no rail past Westminster is Lafayette & Louisville. I would argue that Boulder never really gained anything from it, and as the predicted ridership show, the were never projected to use it. Longmont too, for the most part, was never going to use it to get to downtown, it would just take too long for a commuter.
Yup, and I assume they have plans for enhancing the BRT over time pending available capital.

The only reason it hasn't been formally nixed is for political reasons; it goes to what was "promised." I would like to see them go one stop further but that presumably involves some different logistical challenges.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 1:36 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Oh, I do love secrets

"11 secrets of the Denver International Airport RTD train station"
April 6, 2016 by Deb Stanley Denver7

and so on....
And B was saved for Boulder. Haha.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 1:38 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Yup, and I assume they have plans for enhancing the BRT over time pending available capital.
What kind of improvements? Maybe with the buses or stations, but not with the road.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 6:51 PM

"DIA sets record for busiest February"
April 7, 2016 by Ben Miller - Denver Business Journal
Quote:
Having an extra day because of Leap Year didn't hurt as Denver International Airport set a record for passengers in February.

According to airport officials, 4,069,006 passengers traveled through the airport in February, up more than 10 percent from the 3.69 million in February 2015 and the sixth straight month of record-setting passenger traffic.
January was also a record setting month with passenger traffic up 7.6%.

I had speculated that after a couple of years of flat traffic counts due to Frontier slashing capacity as well as United rejiggering many routes that DIA was poised to grow again. Indeed... it seems they're playing catch-up as a gain in the range of 2-4% would be more typical. Southwest in particular and other airlines have increased capacity in taking advantage of the void left by Frontier.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 11:00 PM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 12:38 AM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 2:51 AM

He meant to post these.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 8:44 PM
Denver

Wtf is this nonsense on the flatiron flyer making you pay as you exit the bus.

Bad policy and encourages possible theft of services.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
Wtf is this nonsense on the flatiron flyer making you pay as you exit the bus.

Bad policy and encourages possible theft of services.
Not only that, the "BRT" was supposed to have ticket machines like light rail where you would buy passes prior to boarding. It does not, along with many other factors that do not qualify it as real BRT.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 7:10 PM

Quote:
LOL, I didn't stop to consider how that might show up on different mediums... assuming that's the problem.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 7:40 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch 12 View Post
Not only that, the "BRT" was supposed to have ticket machines like light rail where you would buy passes prior to boarding. It does not, along with many other factors that do not qualify it as real BRT.
RTD still mentions that ticket vending machines are supposed to be at the stations along US-36. Is that really not the case? (Boulder is Satan's asshole so I avoid having to travel there at all costs- especially by filthy public transit). Major fail if they're not installing the machines to save a buck.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:21 PM

The problem w/ the photos is the URL points to the album home page. You have to set up each individual photo if you want them to display here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West