HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 11:59 PM
recession proof

The Kingsway? Baby Point?

I wonder how Montreal and Toronto's poorest neighbourhoods compare?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
The Kingsway? Baby Point?
Secondary wealth concentrations located outside the traditional wealth corridor?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 1:50 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Historically the poorest parts of Montreal were Pointe St. Charles, Griffintown, Little Burgundy, Park Extension, and St. Michel. Maybe Ville St. Pierre and Hochelaga. Many of these neighborhoods have seen gentrification.
Nowadays the poorest parts are probably found in Montreal-Nord, and the aforementioned St. Michel. Perhaps parts of Cote-des-Neiges.

cbc

Westmount and Outremont are the purplest blobs near the centre. You can see other rich enclaves, like TMR, Hampstead, Montreal West, etc.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 2:02 AM
ハルウララ

Montreal-Nord definitely has Scarborough vibes in areas, or vice-versa.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 2:09 AM

^ Probably more akin to NW Toronto. Mount Dennis-Weston, Jane-Finch etc.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 2:11 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
^ Probably more akin to NW Toronto.
Either/or. I feel it's more Scarborough but can see if someone thinks it's more Jane & Finch.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 2:13 AM

I suppose Hampstead is akin to Upper Village Forest Hill or Cedarvale (small rich very Jewish enclaves), while Cote St. Luc would be more middle class Lawrence Manor/Bathurst Manor.

Last edited by Docere; Aug 15, 2020 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 3:16 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Scarborough is huge. Like Laval and Surrey, it has wealthier and poorer parts. I don't think one can compare Scarborough to Montreal Nord. The former is just too big and far more diverse (in terms of income brackets) than the latter. Jane and Finch or Rexdale, yes.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 3:27 AM

The 4 most heavily Black electoral districts in the country are three adjacent NW Toronto ridings and Bourassa (Montreal-Nord).

Last edited by Docere; Aug 15, 2020 at 3:40 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 3:55 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The Westmount of Ottawa might be... Sandy Hill In terms of architecture? Maybe the Glebe.
I was going to say Rockcliffe Park, but those are good too.

The only Westmount of Gatineau I can think of is...

..maybe Queen's Park road in Aylmer?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Canada is so rife with cultural appropriation it's embarrassing, we shamefully have Quebec and Ontario Streets in Vancouver too.
London has Ontario and Quebec streets as well. Manitoba St isn't in the same neighbourhood as the other 2 provincial names. It's over in the area grouped with Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Vancouver streets. Of course, Regina St isn't anywhere near those either lol.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 3:11 PM

Other than Westmount and Outremont, the rich areas of Montreal are kind of a mystery to me.

Does Montreal have an enclave for the global super-rich, like a Bridle Path or Point Grey? Does it have a rich suburb, like West Vancouver or Oakville? Where do the nouveau riche build their McMansions? Where did the Francophone elite live before the Quiet Revolution?

I get that Montreal and Quebec, in general, is a bit more egalitarian and has fewer super wealthy households than English Canada, but it’s still a very big city and the number of wealthy or even upper middle class areas always seemed kind of small.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 3:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Other than Westmount and Outremont, the rich areas of Montreal are kind of a mystery to me.

Does Montreal have an enclave for the global super-rich, like a Bridle Path or Point Grey? Does it have a rich suburb, like West Vancouver or Oakville? Where do the nouveau riche build their McMansions? Where did the Francophone elite live before the Quiet Revolution?

I get that Montreal and Quebec, in general, is a bit more egalitarian and has fewer super wealthy households than English Canada, but it’s still a very big city and the number of wealthy or even upper middle class areas always seemed kind of small.
Upper Westmount.

https://westmountrealty.com/communit...stmount-upper/

A Montreal Map Showing The Richest And Poorest Neighbourhoods In The City

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:

Other than Westmount and Outremont, who are the two large, obvious rich parts of Montreal, you have also Ville Mont-Royal, an old suburb build north of Mount-Royal. It's not as affluent as Westmount or Outremont, but it's up there. It is also a National Historic Site of Canada, as a "[remarkable] synthesis of urban renewal movements of the early 20th century, reflecting the influence of the City Beautiful, Garden City and Garden Suburb movements".

From wikipedia: The town was designed by Frederick Todd, a planner who was heavily influenced by the likes of Ebenezer Howard and incorporated many aspects of the Garden City Movement as well some elements of the earlier City Beautiful movement into his design. The plan was to build a model city at the foot of Mount Royal. The company bought 4,800 acres (1,900 ha) of farmland, and then built a rail tunnel under Mount Royal connecting their land to downtown Montreal. The profits from the venture helped finance the development of Canadian Northern's transcontinental railroad, which eventually became a significant constituent of the Canadian National Railway system. The town was designed by Canadian Northern's chief engineer, Henry Wicksteed, based loosely on Washington, D.C.

Just like Westmount, Ville Mont-Royal refused to be amalgamated to Montreal and therefore it's a different municipality.

For reference, you can clearly see it on this picture: it's the big green patch north of Mount Royal. It's completely build, but also completely hidden under the canopy.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDzUw8KpIVC/

Hampstead is another affluent part of Montreal.

From Wikipedia: The Town of Hampstead was founded in 1914. It was designed to be an exclusive garden city. There are no retail shops within municipal boundaries. Houses were assigned relatively large lots to allow space for trees and shrubbery. The town's roads were designed with curves in order to slow down traffic and to create an interesting and intimate landscape. Despite its rather flat topography—much of the territory was once a golf course—the town was named after another garden city, the London suburb of Hampstead Village. Like its namesake, Hampstead is the home of many affluent citizens, and competes with a few other suburbs for first place in the rankings of highest average household incomes in Canada.

As for more distant rich suburb, I guess Senneville fits the part. This is a place where mansions and manors are build away rom the road and protected by big iron fence. American movies are often shot there. It is also a National Historic Site of Canada, just like Westmount and Ville Mont-Royal.

Last edited by Martin Mtl; Aug 15, 2020 at 4:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 4:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Laval sur lac is very upper crust

Quote:
In 2006, it has been ranked the richest neighbourhood in the Province of Quebec with an estimated average household income of over $325,000 per year.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 5:23 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:

Does Montreal have an enclave for the global super-rich, like a Bridle Path or Point Grey? Does it have a rich suburb, like West Vancouver or Oakville?
Well, thinking back to circa 1976, Montreal's richest suburb is, in a certain sense, Forest Hill.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 5:29 PM

Anecdotally at least there seems to be a sizable Montreal-Jewish population in Forest Hill, or was when I was growing up.

Upper Westmount reminds me of Forest Hill around UCC.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post

Upper Westmount reminds me of Forest Hill around UCC.
Beyond the statistics, in person they feel different for various reasons. Topography being a big one.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 7:13 PM

Nothing resembling a mountain in Toronto.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada