HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 3, 2006, 11:00 PM
Me?!?

Starting the year off w/ a bang...literally! 3rd day and already 2 shootings and 1 homicide, and we ended last year with 13 homicides in city limits alone. Since the stats are done per capita, this will make us one of the most violent cities in America now I am sure...

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...230.xml&coll=1

Old Posted Jan 4, 2006, 6:57 AM
joining the rail club

^ that's crazy. and it's weird because even though the city still has a considerable amount of violent crime, i still feel it's much more safer in the past few years than it was during the '90s. maybe it's because of all the growth DT.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2006, 1:01 AM
Me?!?

Good Lord, will it ever end?!?

New year's shootings in city reach 4

2 store employees wounded by robber in latest incident
Wednesday, January 04, 2006
BY TOM BOWMAN
Of The Patriot-News

If the street vendor who calls himself "Yah Yah" hadn't overslept yesterday, all might have been quiet in the 1300 block of Market Street.

But he was late setting up his T-shirt stand in front of Kings Beauty Supplies, and before he arrived someone had robbed Kings and shot two employees.

"If we were here they probably wouldn't have even gone in there," Yah Yah said, noting he could have been a witness.

Harrisburg police went to Kings at 10:38 a.m. after receiving a report of a robbery in progress inside the store at 1315 Market St.

By the time they arrived, the gunman had fired a shotgun, wounding a man and a woman before fleeing.

The woman appeared to have been shot in the hand, and the man in the back of the head. Police identified neither.

But Yah Yah described them as nice and friendly.

"They talked to us every day. They respected what I do out here," he said.

Sin Chin, owner of the Magic Wok, one door west of Kings, said his communication with his neighbors is impeded by a language barrier.

Chin is Chinese, while the people who have run Kings for about 10 years are Korean.

City police Chief Charles G. Kellar said officers were encountering similar problems yesterday as they tried to interview people in the store.

The two wounded people were taken to the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, and police closed Market Street for three hours while detectives searched for evidence.

About five hours after the shooting, Dauphin County's Special Emergency Response Team captured two men described as "persons of interest." The two unidentified men were taken from a house in the 1200 block of Kittatinny Street to police headquarters for questioning.

The shootings yesterday continued a violent week in Harrisburg that has launched with the new year.

On Monday, Michael Robinson, 25, was shot at near point-blank range as he walked with a friend in the 300 block of Verbeke Street near the market.

Police said yesterday they arrested Derek Chism, 18, and a juvenile in connection with that 2 p.m. shooting.

However, Dauphin County Prison officials said they had no record of Chism, and police did not return calls seeking details about the charges against him.

Robinson was taken to the Hershey Medical Center with major facial damage and bleeding, police said. But a medical center spokesman said yesterday he had no information on Robinson's condition.

The city's first shootings of the new year occurred Sunday night, when city police killed a man who allegedly seized and fired an officer's gun as they tried to arrest him. Police were not injured, but a bystander was shot in the leg.

City police shot and killed Melvin Soto, 23, after he wrestled a gun away from an officer and shot at police, who returned fire, striking him five times.

TOM BOWMAN: 255-8271 or tbowman@patriot-news.com

HARRISBURG VIOLENCE

*10:38 a.m. yesterday: Two unidentified store employees are shot during a holdup in the 1300 block of Market Street.
*2 p.m. Monday: Michael Robinson, 25, is shot in the face at near point-blank range in the 300 block of Verbeke Street.
*10:20 p.m. Sunday: Two city police officers shoot and kill Melvin Soto, 23, after he steals an officer's gun and fires at police in an apartment in the 1400 block of South 15th Street. An unidentified bystander is shot in the leg.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2006, 1:03 AM
Me?!?

And on to some good news!!!

HARRISBURG

LOOKING TO THE FUTURE

Mayor Reed takes oath for 7th term

Wednesday, January 04, 2006
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

With plans such as creating career-oriented magnet schools, a technology business incubator and an authority to spur development of alternative energy sources, Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed yesterday outlined an agenda for his historic seventh term.

Reed stressed there would be no resting on laurels after he took the oath of office at a noon ceremony in The Forum. Also sworn to new terms were City Council members Patty Kim, Daniel G. Miller, Linda D. Thompson and Wanda R.D. Williams and Controller James J. McCarthy Jr.

"The citizens who voted have sent a clear message -- they want this city to keep advancing," Reed said.

"We should be neither timid nor tepid; we should not be dismissive of bold projects and ideas to come."

Many of Reed's initiatives focused on improving the city schools, which have shown promise since state lawmakers gave him control of the district five years ago.

Some of the initiatives Reed touched on were:
  • Magnet schools that follow particular career paths, which he said could be accepting students within about a year and a half. Just as math and science students now have SciTech High and the Math/Science Academy for fifth- through eighth-graders at the Ben Franklin School, Reed said similar programs will be developed for other career tracks, including vo-tech programs.
  • Creation of a Keystone Energy and Technology Authority to raise money and join public and private resources for research and development of "renewable and conventional energy sources and innovation." (Reed yesterday would not go into specifics.)
  • Creation of a citywide wireless network with a range of services. Reed also wants to equip all city students in grades three to 12 with wireless laptops.
  • Expansion of the Harrisburg University of Science and Technology. The mayor wants to create a technology business incubator that can bring together students, faculty and entrepreneurs.
  • Creation of a second public access channel (Harrisburg now runs programs on Channel 20) for educational purposes, including homework help, literacy and English as a second language programming.
  • Progress on the southern gateway project extending Third Street south to Paxton Street and making it two-way up to Walnut Street. Reed said it would spur development in the southern end of downtown (where the Amtrak rail line runs below Chestnut Street and Harrisburg Hospital), which "could provide a targeted area for a technology and biomedical district."
  • Organization of a Council on Latino Affairs, which Reed said would help residents of Hispanic descent have their concerns heard.
  • Formation of a commission to celebrate Harrisburg's sesquicentennial in 2010. Reed noted that Harrisburg became an incorporated municipality in 1791and a city in 1860. The commission, he said, would come up with projects over the next four years, including creation of "lasting public art, infrastructure and other amenities to commemorate this history."
Serving to underline the Democratic mayor's call to put aside politics in pursuing goals, Republicans, including state Sen. Jeffrey Piccola of Dauphin County, were on hand with Democrats including U.S. Rep. Tim Holden.

Reed has shown a willingness to put party concerns behind city concerns. He endorsed former Republican Gov. Tom Ridge when Ridge ran for a second term.

Sue Helm, a real estate agent and the first vice chairwoman of the Dauphin County Republican Party, also attended. "I think he's been the greatest mayor for Harrisburg. Look what he's done for the city. In housing, I couldn't have asked for a better mayor," Helm said. "I'm a Republican, but he's done a wonderful job."

Old Posted Jan 5, 2006, 7:32 AM

..after a long absence, i'm back...long story, in short: no more college for a while...but it does feel good to be back in the burg. i was away for most of the holidays, and couldn't make it to market square for new years, breaking my 4 year run. but walking down 2nd yesterday, i noticed the new restaurants, and was impressed by their crowds...can't wait til the new ones (esp. the quarter) open. also visited cameron st. with some friends, mainly due to atomic, but that place has so much potential. so many cool warehouses, with the university and club, i see this as the newest development corridor...even with reed's comments, it seems like the third street project will be in limbo for a while longer...as for the crime: sad news, but it always happens, crime will rise and fall, ebb and flow....that's all.....

Old Posted Jan 5, 2006, 11:23 PM
Me?!?

Good to see you back, harrisburger!

$1 million?!? Who the f*ck are these people that can afford this crap?!? LOL

MECHANICSBURG

Solicitor to review Hess Farm rezoning

Thursday, January 05, 2006
BY JOE ELIAS
Of The Patriot-News

A divided Mechanicsburg Borough Council has inched closer to possibly developing the last vacant parcel in town.

By a 4-2 vote, council on Tuesday told borough Solicitor Ed Schorpp to review language submitted by Carlino Development Group to rezone the 185-acre tract known as the Hess Farm from low-density residential to traditional neighborhood use.

Carlino has submitted a sketch plan showing 776 housing units, including single-family homes, apartments, townhouses, duplexes, plus retail shops and recreation areas. The housing units would sell for $190,000 to $1 million.

Carlino has not submitted official development plans.

Schorpp said his review won't commit the borough to giving "any blessing to any plan" regarding a zoning change.

Councilmen Matt Seagrist and John McDermott voted against sending the matter to Schorpp.

Seagrist said the farm should be developed, but only in the low-density residential character of the surrounding area. He said he wants more information from Carlino.

Seagrist also objected to one sketch plan that eliminated the intersection of Shepherdstown Road and South Market Street.

Another sketch plan retained the intersection.

Borough Manager Jonathan Stough said that Carlino is studying the development's potential financial impact on the borough's public services and what it would generate in local tax revenue.

Stough said that study is expected to be completed this month.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2006, 3:54 AM
joining the rail club

^ camp hill borough is going through the same issue right now...deciding what to do with the last remaining parcel of land left undeveloped. camp hill turned down a 10 story condo tower...which would have been pretty cool IMO. now it will either become 60-70 townhouses or 30 mid-sized homes. but the town seems to be fighting against any development and for camp hill and mechanicsburg, it's probably in the best interest of the citizens to make them as dense as possible, in fitting with the surrounding aesthetics of the community. seeing how the tax base is so low. PA boroughs have been losing population for decades now and raising taxes like crazy to compensate. anyway to pick up an additional couple hundred residents would be beneficial IMO...especially when developers often are required to pay for utility hookups and infrastructure, which would be turned over to the municipality.

i'll be home by the end of the month hopefully. i can't wait to check out the 'burg again and see how much has changed. it's been since december of '04 since i was in Harrisburg. i'm sure it looks quite different now

Old Posted Jan 7, 2006, 12:45 AM
Me?!?

Welcome back, Chris!

More explosive growth!!!

MIDDLESEX TWP.

Hundreds of houses planned for farm in growing township

Friday, January 06, 2006
BY ELIZABETH GIBSON
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

CARLISLE - An investment group of two JFC Staffing Associates executives and a Camp Hill lawyer bought Robert Line's farm in Middlesex Twp. for $3 million.

The Guido Group expects to build 300 to 400 houses on the 139-acre site just outside Carlisle.

"We're very excited about it. It's a neat location," said Chris Zampogna, JFC's general manager.

He and his father-in-law, JFC founder Jim Carchidi, and lawyer Peter Russo settled on the property last month. They haven't submitted a development plan to Middlesex officials.

Mark Carpenter, Middlesex's zoning officer, said more than half the land is zoned residential/town, which permits homes and some retail business and offices. The rest is a residential/farm zone, which allows homes and small farm operations.

The area has access to public water and sewer, he said.

Middlesex has about 7,000 residents and 2,500 homes. Work is under way on a 1,000-home development off Country Club Road in the northern half of the township, and that area could see 400 more homes if plans under review are approved. Near the Line farm, in Middlesex's southern half, is property owned by Robert Long that is expected to be developed into a community of up to 750 homes.

Zampogna said his group might stay involved in building the proposed development. "We are investors. That being said, we are working with developers," he said.

Line owned the land with Joan P. Line, J. Edward Clouse and Calene Clouse.

In 2000, Robert Line fought off an attempt by the Middlesex Twp. Municipal Authority to condemn part of the property so a township well could be built. The site is a prime underground water source. Ultimately, the Agricultural Lands Condemnation Approval Board ruled condemnation would adversely affect preservation and enhancement of the area's agricultural resources.

Zampogna said his group might consider letting the township use some of the land for a well.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2006, 2:06 AM
Me?!?

Many of you are probably too young to remember these days but you may have heard me talk about this place in the past, The Vault. It was my favorite place of all time and my do I miss it! Well The District (a club in the basement of Dragonfly) had a Vault/Metron reunion night a few weeks ago. Thankfully it was a HUGE hit and finally a club in HBG is getting off of its ass and doing something different for a change. Yes, that's right, I once again have a place to go to where you won't here Lil Jon, Jay-Z, Fat Joe, etc., etc., over and over (and over, and over..) again!

--Because of the feedback and the turnout at the reunion party, District is going to begin featuring a "house" music format on Saturday nights starting Jan. 21. The three resident DJs will be Geoffro, Jeremy Sinn and Kev-E-Kev. The District plans to add special effects to accommodate this new format.--

http://www.pennlive.com/columns/patr...l=1&thispage=1

Old Posted Jan 7, 2006, 8:07 PM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
I'll be in town in 2 weeks, I look forward to looking around to see what's changed.

One question in regards to the CorridorOne project, there has been repeated reference to a stop at the Harrisburg Hospital (presumably between Front and 2nd street). Is there room near the tracks to build some sort of passenger terminal?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2006, 4:58 PM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Great to see Harrisburg moving forward with new developments!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2006, 7:16 AM
joining the rail club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudmrg
One question in regards to the CorridorOne project, there has been repeated reference to a stop at the Harrisburg Hospital (presumably between Front and 2nd street). Is there room near the tracks to build some sort of passenger terminal?
The station will be built along the CVRR line between Front St and Second St, adjacent to Harrisburg Hospital. There used to be a schematic of the station desgin on the corridorone website, but I can't find it anymore. There is more than enough space to built a platform and it will also be adjacent to the hospitals parking garage.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2006, 2:50 PM
Me?!?

US Airways cuts fares at HIA, revives Orlando flight

Thursday, January 12, 2006
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

US Airways has reduced some fares at Harrisburg International Airport, where it is the dominant carrier, and will resume a nonstop flight to Orlando, Fla., next month.

Harrisburg is among 20 destinations served by the airline's major East Coast operations in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Charlotte, N.C., where fares are being reduced, US Airways officials said.

Under the new pricing structure, the fare for a flight from Harrisburg to Charlotte, reserved 21 days in advance, would be $198, not including fees and taxes, US Airways spokesman Carlo Bertolini said. That's a reduction of nearly 60 percent from the old fare of $486, he noted.

A limited number of seats will be available at the new fares, and travelers who can be flexible and reserve far ahead will be the most likely to get them, Bertolini said.

After US Airways and America West merged in September, the airline has been striving to cut fares and eliminate some of the Saturday-night-stay requirements, he said.

Late last year, US Airways introduced lower shuttle fares between New York and Boston and New York and Washington, D.C.

"We are trying to spread that more customer-friendly pricing to lower-density markets," Bertolini said. "We hope this will stimulate demand."

US Airways also will resume a seasonal nonstop flight from HIA to Orlando International Airport on Feb. 18, he said.

Bertolini didn't know yesterday when that flight would end for the season.

The US Airways flight will leave HIA at 3 p.m. on Saturdays and arrive in Orlando at 5:21 p.m. The return flight will leave Orlando at noon on Saturdays and arrive at HIA at 2:17 p.m.

Round-trip fares, not including fees and taxes, will start at $243, Bertolini said.

"We are extremely grateful that US Airways is once again offering this popular and convenient nonstop service between HIA and central Pennsylvania's No. 1 destination," HIA Aviation Director Fred Testa said in a written release.

HIA hasn't had a nonstop flight to Orlando since TransMeridian Airlines abruptly ended operations and sought Chapter 7 bankruptcy in late September.

US Airways had offered a nonstop flight from HIA to Orlando, but it ended last summer.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2006, 7:22 PM
joining the rail club

^ very nice. now if we could only get southwest to come in

Old Posted Jan 15, 2006, 5:34 PM
Me?!?

Neighbors want input into Stray Winds plan

Sunday, January 15, 2006
BY ELLEN LYON
Of The Patriot-News

A group of property owners around Stray Winds Farm has organized in an effort to influence development of the prime 291-acre tract in Lower Paxton Twp.

Stray Winds Area Neighbors was formed shortly before the farm, which had been owned by the late Donald and Dorothy Stabler, was sold at an auction on Oct. 11. The property was sold in four parcels for $13.6 million.

Community activist Eric Epstein, the facilitator of SWAN, said the neighbors were shocked to learn that the farm was being sold. Many of them knew the Stablers and had assumed that the farm would be preserved through the Stabler Trust or given to Lehigh University, Donald Stabler's alma mater, he said.

Proceeds from the sale went to the trust to benefit the Stabler Foundation and Lehigh University. Brothers John and Mark DiSanto of Triple Crown Corp. bought the largest parcel of 218 acres, including the main farmhouse and barn on McIntosh Road, for $9.2 million.

Florino Grande of Grande Construction in Berks County paid $4.1 million for the second-largest tract of 68 acres. Triple Crown Corp. bought that parcel from him in November for an undisclosed amount, company CEO Mark DiSanto said.

The other two parcels, of a few acres each, were sold to individuals.

The farm is surrounded by winding two-lane country roads and is zoned for residential use, with a restriction of two homes per acre.

SWAN's organizers say they aren't opposed to development, but they want to have some say in what happens and they want to make sure environmental and traffic concerns are addressed.

"We have nothing against it being developed because that's the way it's going to be, but if it could be done with some forethought to green space," neighbor Eileen Hurley said.

Of particular concern is the two-lane stretch of Colonial Road from Linglestown Road to Earl Drive, which is heavily used, Epstein said.

"This is not about blocking the development," he said. "This is about creating a paradigm of managed growth."

Also of concern to the group is Paxton Creek, which winds through the farm. The Paxton Creek watershed impacts Wildwood Lake, the Susquehanna River and, ultimately, the Chesapeake Bay, Epstein said. SWAN can help the developers apply for grants for wetlands preservation, he said.

Epstein has a record as a community activist. He is chairman of the Three Mile Island Alert watchdog group and organized the recent "Rock the Capital" protest of the legislative pay raise. He also knows the DiSanto brothers and was best man at John DiSanto's wedding years ago, he said.

Most of SWAN's members live in the Colonial Crest development next to the farm, but organizers say they don't have a membership count for the group. Epstein estimated that about 30 people attended a recent meeting of SWAN and township officials.

The group also has contacted the Paxton Creek Watershed and Education Association and the Lower Paxton Historical Society, he said.

Once SWAN has gathered enough information, organizers plan to request a meeting with representatives of Triple Crown Corp., Epstein said.

"It's obviously a very significant parcel of ground," Mark DiSanto said last week. "We're looking to do something special with it."

Triple Crown has not submitted development plans to the township and is still mapping the property, he said.

DiSanto also said he wasn't troubled that a citizens group had formed to monitor development of the property.

"We have no problem working with our neighbors, and we would hope they wouldn't with us," he said.

DiSanto noted that he and his brother grew up in the nearby Colonial Village development and live in the Linglestown area. "We're here for the long haul," he said.

The formation of groups such as SWAN, as people seek input into development of their communities, isn't unusual, according to Julie Lalo, spokeswoman for the nonprofit land-use planning organization 10,000 Friends of Pennsylvania.

"We're definitely seeing that it's a trend that groups are doing that," she said.

However, people tend to get involved after a sale or when a project is pretty far along, Lalo noted. People can have the most influence when they participate as their municipality is updating its comprehensive plan, considering regional planning or addressing infrastructure issues such as roads and water and sewer capacity, she said.

Citizens groups have no legal authority, but they can provide a single point of contact for information dissemination, Lower Paxton Twp. manager George Wolfe said.

SWAN wants to partner with the township and the developersto resolve potential disputes, Epstein said. "I think we can develop the land, grow the tax base and preserve green space," he said.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2006, 5:50 PM
Me?!?

Hey HBG forumers, read my post in this thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=96194

It looks like EastSideHBG won't be reppin' HBG for much longer...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 2:25 AM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
EastSide: That sucks

From the patriot-news today:

Harrisburg will study wind power at DeHart Reservoir
The city of Harrisburg will investigate the possibility of generating electricity from wind near DeHart Dam. In a study financed by a $360,000 grant from the state Energy Development Authority, the city will place a wind gauge on a temporary tower above DeHart Reservoir, on Clarks Creek between Stony Mountain and Peters Mountain. Reed says initial estimates put potential power output from wind at 95 million kilowatt hours per year, enough to power 5,000 homes.

Well, I'd rather we get power from the wind than from some other sources.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 5:21 AM
Me?!?

Thanks, Mike! I responded to your PM then too.

--Well, I'd rather we get power from the wind than from some other sources.--

Agreed.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2006, 6:04 PM
Me?!?

Here's the story to what you posted, Mike:

Funding breathes life into wind study

Reed hopes to determine 'economic sense' of windmills at DeHart Dam

Tuesday, January 17, 2006
BY GARRY LENTON
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed has long claimed that the city's trash incinerator generates electricity to sell and steam to heat downtown buildings.

He long pursued a hydroelectric dam across the Susquehanna River at City Island to generate electricity. He had to settle for a small hydroelectric generator on the creek below the DeHart Dam.

Now Reed is looking to the wind as the city's latest alternative energy project.

Reed plans to use a $360,295 grant from the Pennsylvania Energy Development Authority to determine if there is enough wind power on the mountaintop overlooking DeHart Dam to support a wind farm.

"It has to make economic sense or we won't do it," Reed said yesterday.

The one-year study will require the placement of a temporary tower on Harrisburg Authority land that spans the crests of Peter's Moun tain and Stony Mountain, where elevations range from 1,400 to 1,600 feet.

The Rush Twp. property is mostly remote mountain land, but is close to Fort Indiantown Gap and the Appalachian Trail.

Preliminary estimates suggest that if wind velocity is high enough to spin the windmills' turbines 180 days a year, the city could generate about 30 megawatts of electricity, Reed said.

That would be enough to power 5,000 homes, or about a quarter of the city.

The energy would equal that generated by burning 170,000 barrels of oil, 37,529 tons of coal or 44 million cubic feet of natural gas, Reed said.

It would also reduce pollution by reducing emission of carbon dioxide, nitrogen and other ozone-causing gases associated with petroleum products, he said.

The city would sell electricity from the project to a utility. The city would need a way to carry the electricity from the mountain to the state's energy grid, which would mean building transmission lines.

"Our biggest complication is our ability to [get] it to the grid," Reed said.

Harrisburg sells electricity generated by methane gas combustion and burning trash to PPL for 6 cents a kilowatt hour.

"If you can't transport the [electricity] and don't have a long-term contract, it makes the project difficult," said Eric Epstein, former president, and now board member, of the Sustainable Energy Fund of Central/Eastern Pennsylvania.

The fund uses money collected from a surcharges on electric companies to finance renewal energy projects in the state. The fund helped finance the state's pioneer wind farm in Somerset County.

"It's a major undertaking that requires hurdling a number of issues," Epstein said. "But if the study says it's viable, I'm sure we would explore financing it."

The wind strengths on the ridges above DeHart Dam range from 12.5 to 15.7 mph, earning them a U.S. Department of Energy rank of "marginal" to "fair."

The $360,000 grant was part of an $8.5 million program for energy development managed through the state Department of Environmental Protection.

Wind energy is one of the fastest-growing alternative energy sources in the nation. Between 1990 and 2001, power generated through wind turbines doubled in the U.S.

Pennsylvania has helped promote wind power development through market deregulation, public and private investments, and a pledge to buy 5 percent of its electricity from renewable sources.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2006, 2:35 PM
Me?!?

VERY interesting. HBG better get its act together, because not only do they have competition coming from outside of the state, now there is some coming from within. Reed needs to stop trying to grab so much control because it is now jeopardizing projects! $9.5 mil is money HBG does not have (trust me), so I am sure they are going to lose this one...

Harrisburg has competition in Reading for sports museum

Friday, January 20, 2006
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

Harrisburg has competition to be the home of a state sports hall of fame.

Since its falling out with Harrisburg, the nonprofit group that owns the rights to the name "Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame," has been talking with officials in Reading about the project.

Although the museum group and Reading officials said they aren't close to a deal, both said conversations are continuing.

"We consider the state's sports hall of fame in play, given that things haven't been consummated in Harrisburg," said R. Leon Churchill Jr., Reading's managing director.

Reading is planning economic redevelopment projects along the Schuylkill River and on one of its main thoroughfares, Churchill said. The museum, one of the projects that has been discussed, has found local support, he said.

Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed has said he still plans to build a National Sports Hall of Fame on City Island.

Reed, who could not be reached for comment yesterday, has talked about plans to incorporate office space in the project to help support the museum.

In Harrisburg's favor is $9.5 million in state funding, authorized under Gov. Tom Ridge. But Harrisburg has to come up with matching funds by July to get the money. If that doesn't happen, the city -- or any other municipality -- would be free to lobby the Legislature for the money.

Lebanon attorney Thomas P. Harlan, past president of the hall of fame group and the organization's museum chairman, said that while discussions with Reading continue, they're not close to anything.

About a year ago, representatives from Reading approached the organization, but initial offers called for the nonprofit group to shoulder much of the project's expense. Harlan said they don't have the resources.

Harlan said the organization hasn't decided whether Reading would be a good site. Organization members are still disheartened that the deal with Harrisburg -- which he said had been ongoing since the late 1980s -- fell apart.

"For all the many good things that Mayor Reed has done for Harrisburg and for as sharp as he is and as brilliant as he is, he's the opposite in our case," Harlan said.

"It would have been a great fit and it's too bad he chose not to continue," Harlan said.

Harlan said he believes Reed broke off contact with the organization in September 2003, before final contracts were signed, because the organization was supposed to run the museum and Reed wanted more city control.

The organization also objected to Reed's insistence that John Levenda, the city's special projects coordinator, be hired as the museum's executive director, Harlan said. He said Reed was told that Levenda's name would be considered with other applicants after a nationwide search.

City officials said the organization caused the deal to die.

At the time, Randy King, the mayor's spokesman, cited the group's slow progress in fundraising and acquiring artifacts, and said the group didn't sign an agreement governing how the museum would be run.

Getting memorabilia to fill a museum won't be a problem, Harlan said.

"We have artifacts all over the place and commitments from inductees from over the past 40 years to provide them when we're ready," Harlan said.

The organization has 28 chapters throughout the state and about 7,000 members, he said.

Harlan said the organization would still want to move forward with Harrisburg under the agreement terms that he said were worked out just before the split.

Churchill said Reading has no desire to get into a fight with Harrisburg. Reading would be "sensitive" to any Harrisburg concerns.

In the end, it may come down to who ponies up the money and a good plan first. Harlan said a chapter member told him that Philadelphia also may be interested.

To Churchill, one thing is clear -- there can be only one museum. If Harrisburg were to proceed on its own without the hall of fame group, he said he doesn't see a market for another such museum in the state.

"My assumption is that there can only be one Pennsylvania hall of fame, at least in Pennsylvania," Churchill said. "The first one in the market is going to get that and be able to squeeze the other folks out."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations