HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:08 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sums up quite nicely why Toronto doesn't have signature food, TV shows, movies, etc.

At least, not to any degree that one would expect for a city of its size and stature.
Canadian foods based on city:

Bagel: Montreal
Caesar: Calgary
Cod: St. John's
Ginger Beef: Calgary
Kovasa: Edmonton
Peameal Bacon Sandwich: Toronto
Pemmican: Canadian Prairies
Pizza Pyrohy: Edmonton
Saskatoon Pie: Saskatchewan
Saskatoon Wine: Saskatchewan
Screech: St. John's
Smoked Meat Sandwich: Montreal
Smoked Salmon: Vancouver

Just off the top of my head.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Sums up quite nicely why Toronto doesn't have signature food, TV shows, movies, etc.

At least, not to any degree that one would expect for a city of its size and stature.
Toronto has multiple signature TV shows. Easily more than any other Canadian city. Traders, King of Kensington, Street Legal, Riverdale, Train48, Bob and Margaret (Mississauga), Flashpoint all took place in Toronto. And that's just off the top of my head. There's been many, many others. There's been hundreds of movies that have been set in Toronto as well.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Will View Post
Toronto has multiple signature TV shows. Easily more than any other Canadian city. Traders, King of Kensington, Street Legal, Riverdale, Train48, Bob and Margaret (Mississauga), Flashpoint all took place in Toronto. And that's just off the top of my head. There's been many, many others. There's been hundreds of movies that have been set in Toronto as well.
Kids in the Hall, SCTV, Hangin' In, Air Waves, The New Avengers, ENG, Being Erica, half the programming on HGTV. Cronenberg movies are quintessentially Toronto. Ergo Egoyan, more recently Sarah Polley. Not sure why Acajack always assumes because he hasn't heard of these things that they don't exist. But he makes the same baseless argument over and over again.

Also not really sure why a simple thread on the pace of growth suburban v. urban has to become a troll fest because Toronto is mentioned.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
Not sure why Acajack always assumes because he hasn't heard of these things that they don't exist. But he makes the same baseless argument over and over again.
Yeah, I've noticed that. He really doesn't know what he's talking about.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 11:35 AM
video et taceo

because toronto feels a bit put-upon in this forum, it tends to entrench and repeat its mantra of globalist metropolitanism when confronted. i feel like torontonians don't feel like they can make fun of their city's particulars on ssp, as it will just lead to more people underestimating or miscategorizing the place. which, in turn, makes people characterize it as insecure.

when you're canadian, you get a real eye for these sorts of vicious circles. our whole national conversation is essentially one of these.

it's too bad. toronto is great. but toronto is also funny and flawed and incomplete. just like broke-ass montreal or impossibly constructed L.A. or half-decaying, half-vibrant zombie chicago. not every slight against the city needs to bring out the big guns. because that's too defensive.

toronto is a striver city right now, and strivers are funny. so are isolated old almost-beens like montreal. it's not a big deal. we don't need to get all closed off and snippy like slighted rosedale housewives who got into the hendrick's after a phone call.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 3:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Toronto has multiple signature TV shows. Easily more than any other Canadian city. .
Methinks you should get to know more of your own country, mon ami.

(hint hint)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 3:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yeah, I've noticed that. He really doesn't know what he's talking about.
Why is it that when someone is critical that he is assumed to not know anything about Toronto?

I know Billy Newton-Davis, Rough Trade, Martha and the Muffins, Goin Down the Road, Holly Woods and Toronto, Headline Hunters, Littlest Hobo, Definition, Shuffle Demons, Billy Bishop Goes to War, Starship Invasions, Moxy Fruvous, Dini Petty, Open Mike with Mike Bullard, Mel Lastman's moose on the streets project, etc.

I also know Toronto well enough to be aware that more often than not this homegrown stuff is "fringe" in its own city, with the maistream occupied by American stuff.

And I also know that most Torontonians, who live in a rich metropolis of 5-6 million people in a G8 country, have probably never seen their own city play *itself* on the big screen in a movie. To name but one example.

I also know that on a global scale this situation is a bit out of the ordinary.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:

(hint hint)
Nope. My statement was correct. Toronto has played itself in multiple dozens of television shows. Far more than any other Canadian city. To say that it has had a lack of signature television series is simply not true. Flashpoint alone is seen all over the world, as was Traders. No other show with a Canadian city playing itself has that kind of exposure. To say otherwise is wrong.

Which Canadian cities do you think have had more "signature t.v. shows"?

Quote:
it's too bad. toronto is great. but toronto is also funny and flawed and incomplete.
Nobody said it wasn't. But to make a statement like saying it's had a lack of signature t.v. series when it's probably had more than the rest of the country is just plain ignorant. It's an incorrect statement of fact, not even an opinion. Acajack's last statement suggests that there is another Canadian city with more "signature t.v. series", which is of course hogwash. Which city would that be?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Why is it that when someone is critical that he is assumed to not know anything about Toronto?

I know Billy Newton-Davis, Rough Trade, Martha and the Muffins, Goin Down the Road, Holly Woods and Toronto, Headline Hunters, Littlest Hobo, Definition, Shuffle Demons, Billy Bishop Goes to War, Starship Invasions, Moxy Fruvous, Dini Petty, Open Mike with Mike Bullard, Mel Lastman's moose on the streets project, etc.

I also know Toronto well enough to be aware that more often than not this homegrown stuff is "fringe" in its own city, with the maistream occupied by American stuff.

And I also know that most Torontonians, who live in a rich metropolis of 5-6 million people in a G8 country, have probably never seen their own city play *itself* on the big screen in a movie. To name but one example.

It's not fringe and you really don't know Toronto as well as you think you do. You seem mired in ancient Canadian prejudices. Toronto has played itself on screen a myriad of times and frankly it's insulting that you seem to think you have your finger on the pulse of the city when you can't be further from it. I mean really: And I also know that most Torontonians, who live in a rich metropolis of 5-6 million people in a G8 country, have probably never seen their own city play *itself* on the big screen in a movie. To name but one example.

Completely untrue. You seem to be leaving behind the stealth trolling and just going full-fledged now.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 4:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:

(hint hint)

Which Canadian city(ies) have had more signature t.v. shows? I've been told by the mods not to use the term "liar" any more, so I'm trying to think of an appropriate synonym for one who makes false statements of fact repeatedly. Your statement is a false statement of fact. In recent years no other show has had anywhere near the international exposure of Flashpoint. If that's not a signature t.v. series, what is?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 5:35 PM

This is the most silly discussion I've ever heard. This thread has been threatened with trolling several times already.

Stop it with the mine is bigger, no MINE is bigger mentality, especially on the off topic of film. This is a 2nd grade way to approach the discussion.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
How could Flashpoint* be that much of a signature TV series for Toronto when only 6.1% of TV sets in its home market of Toronto were tuned to it for the series finale last December (the highest ratings it ever got)?

Some impact!

Seriously, the most successful TV series export in Canadian history that was truly Canadian was Torontonian: the various incarnations of Degrassi.

But aside from that the pickings are relatively slim.

*BTW I actually liked Flashpoint and watched it on occasion.

I asked you a specific question and you didn't answer, so I'll ask it again:

Which Canadian city(ies) have had more "signature t.v. shows"?

Quote:
This is the most silly discussion I've ever heard. This thread has been threatened with trolling several times already.
Bringing up food, t.v. shows, movies, at all is by definition trolling because it has nothing to do with the topic. Saying

Quote:

is clearly trolling, because it has nothing to do with the topic, "Downtown Toronto’s pace of population growth triples, outpacing suburbs’ ...
"

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 5:38 PM
video et taceo

this is so unpleasant. i can't believe you guys are letting yourselves get like this.

canadians are really the fucking worst sometimes.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 5:40 PM

Seriously, who cares?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 5:45 PM
video et taceo

this should be locked. it should never have gotten to this point, because even if someone is wrong about the city in the ways that are being discussed, it should still be fun and discursive and conversational, but because canadians are such petty little attack dogs and because i guess there's nothing worse in the entire world that having someone maybe have a misconception about your city, it needs to be put out of its misery.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 6:00 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I notice that a whole bunch of my recent posts on here have been deleted. (All that thought and all that research - for nought.)

I do expect that the posts I responded to which are also off-topic will also be deleted.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:06 PM
testify

very weird drift that seems to serve as a paradigmatic example of canadian insecurity. arguing on the internet about which towns have more television presence (as if anyone even watches television any more, btw).

anyway, montreal is a setting for far more teevee shows, just not in english. eat it.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:10 PM
testify

Quote:

toronto has an amazing music scene, actually, i think i listened to kontravoid's "native state" 1000 times last year.

and rough trade is fantastic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsJHtzdvfKg

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy as pie View Post
very weird drift that seems to serve as a paradigmatic example of canadian insecurity. arguing on the internet about which towns have more television presence (as if anyone even watches television any more, btw).

anyway, montreal is a setting for far more teevee shows, just not in english. eat it.
Montreal has also placed a film as a finalist in the Oscars' best foreign film category for three years in a row.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 7:42 PM

Do you 2 ever stop trolling?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions