HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 3:17 PM
Space Magi

Another development on the agenda of the planning commission today is Twenty Ones, which is meant to replace the whole corner of 21st and 21st (where the Blue Plate is). I assume the Blue Plate will get a new space in the development but I don't know for sure.

https://www.slc.gov/planning/2020/05...and-2100-east/

This development has a ton of NIMBY opposition with most complaints being about parking, traffic, too many new residents, and "danger to the children" from the driveway on the west side. I think it will be a huge upgrade from the dilapidated buildings and laundromat that are currently there.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:13 PM

Having grown up in that area, the NIMBYs are no surprise. It hasn't really changed in decades.

That said I think this development is pretty mediocre. Better than what's there currently, but it could be better still. I think the parking concerns are actually somewhat valid as this area has limited transit accessibility (just a single bus line).

Also I highly doubt Blue Plate will be offered a space there. How often does that actually happen? They'll either close or find a new location.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Another development on the agenda of the planning commission today is Twenty Ones, which is meant to replace the whole corner of 21st and 21st (where the Blue Plate is). I assume the Blue Plate will get a new space in the development but I don't know for sure.

https://www.slc.gov/planning/2020/05...and-2100-east/

This development has a ton of NIMBY opposition with most complaints being about parking, traffic, too many new residents, and "danger to the children" from the driveway on the west side. I think it will be a huge upgrade from the dilapidated buildings and laundromat that are currently there.
Agree, That's some pretty serious abandoned blight on that corner. Aesthetically this would be a major improvement. I have no idea how valid the nimby complaints are regarding the parking and driveway. Developers will aim higher in order to get a workable outcome. Even though it's 2100 East it's still 2100 S. and a busy commercial intersection. What do the nimby's expect to go up on 21st South. I mean two floors is hardly earth shattering density, even at 2100 east.

I can see that the materials presented are of excellent quality. My only complaint would be the all too popular trend to repeat the linear design over and over, especially when the frontage is quite long. Even as a child those cartoons use to bother me when the background just kept repeating itself over and over and over...ugh! There should be codes against that. But again, I do really like the choice of materials, which perhaps minimizes my tendancy to be nitpicky.

Last edited by delts145; Sep 23, 2020 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Having grown up in that area, the NIMBYs are no surprise. It hasn't really changed in decades.

That said I think this development is pretty mediocre. Better than what's there currently, but it could be better still. I think the parking concerns are actually somewhat valid as this area has limited transit accessibility (just a single bus line).

Also I highly doubt Blue Plate will be offered a space there. How often does that actually happen? They'll either close or find a new location.
I am surprised to hear you call it “pretty mediocre”. What is it that is mediocre? The materials appear to the very nice. There is solid street engagement. We have vertical mixed use with parking hidden between the buildings. I would like a better corner, but it seems objectively quality from many design principles. I agree that blue plate probably can’t afford the rents, but I have no idea how profitable they are so who knows.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 6:09 PM
NIMBY Hater

What's the latest on the Regent Street project? Have new details emerged? Renderings?

I heard a rumor it will be 40 stories and 450'. Wondering if that's true.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
What's the latest on the Regent Street project? Have new details emerged? Renderings?

I heard a rumor it will be 40 stories and 450'. Wondering if that's true.
I only heard it was going to be taller than the 330' or so of the original design. I haven't heard of a finalized design yet but I would think they should be close.

I would love it to be around 450' only because of Kensington directly to the East also just under 450'.

There is something nice about seeing multiple buildings coming soon around the 450' height range.

This was also a height talked about for the Hines tower to replace the Utah Theater.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 10:04 PM

800 South State

Quote:
There's a work session for the first part of the Sears Block development scheduled for the planning committee meeting tonight. This is about the previously-discussed Z-shaped 11-story building proposed to go at the corner of 800 S and State Street.

http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Plan.../00439Memo.pdf

Overall I think this is a good start and the developers seem to understand the potential of the block. The apartment and retail look very solid and I'm not too bothered about the long facade given the other features.

That said, I do think they should allow more space for on-street dining out front. I'm also concerned about the proposed interior park - it is completely surrounded by roads. That seems to defeat the purpose of having an interior park in a supposed pedestrian-freindly development. Hopefully the work session addresses that in some way, but the park isn't part of this particular proposal, so there's still plenty of time for things to change. I also heard early on that they wanted to find a way to keep the taco carts on that corner around, but I didn't see anything about it in the document.

Still I'm excited to see some real, actual mixed-use development come to that portion of State Street. It is much needed.

I noticed the document had some updated renderings, so I thought I'd post them for everyone.

*They labeled this next one as 'northwest corner,' but I'm pretty sure its northeast, so oops on their part.

They also included slightly updated drawings for the west side of the project - not sure why they didn't continue with the rendering style above, but whatever.

I really like that they also included in this rendering the other surrounding under construction residential projects in the area. I'm not sure why they have the words 'The Jetty' above this project, unless that is the intended final name for the development.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 10:11 PM
Space Magi

Looks pretty nice to me. I like that last shot with the wider context. Also interesting is that, in addition to "The Jetty," they have the undeveloped part of the Sears Block labeled as "Copper Yards."

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
A large apartment complex has filed for a Design Review.

Looks like USSR housing projects.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
I am surprised to hear you call it “pretty mediocre”. What is it that is mediocre? The materials appear to the very nice. There is solid street engagement. We have vertical mixed use with parking hidden between the buildings. I would like a better corner, but it seems objectively quality from many design principles. I agree that blue plate probably can’t afford the rents, but I have no idea how profitable they are so who knows.
I'm not a fan of how long it is, which is a repeating trend in Salt Lake City. I wish there were more requirements to break up the facade besides changing the look and materials every so often. Also they talk about wanting to allow outdoor dining but it doesn't look like there's a lot of space for it. But I guess overall it's more good than bad - maybe I'm just becoming more critical these days. It's a solid development with respectable density (it's not nearly as dense as the NIMBYs would like us to believe), it just lacks vision. But it will be good for the area, no doubt.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
awful, awful, awful. Their claims of walkable residential are ludicrous. Insta-ghetto.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:05 AM

Quote:
I'm not a fan of how long it is, which is a repeating trend in Salt Lake City. I wish there were more requirements to break up the facade besides changing the look and materials every so often. Also they talk about wanting to allow outdoor dining but it doesn't look like there's a lot of space for it. But I guess overall it's more good than bad - maybe I'm just becoming more critical these days. It's a solid development with respectable density (it's not nearly as dense as the NIMBYs would like us to believe), it just lacks vision. But it will be good for the area, no doubt.
They need to physically break up the facade. There is a reason 200 ft is in to code. Humans will be living in this facility. Nice materials are not enough.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCLvr View Post
awful, awful, awful. Their claims of walkable residential are ludicrous. Insta-ghetto.
Don’t you see it is walkable because it has sidewalks? Lol.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 12:13 PM
of SLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
My exact thoughts when I saw it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 2:59 PM

Salt Lake City International & Delta's Newest Skyclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post

I feel like the airport opening today deserves some main thread chatter! The Delta Sky Club looks pretty awesome. https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...lake-city/amp/

All images by Zach Griff/The Points Guy

As you pass through “The Canyon,” you’ll catch a first glimpse of the upper-level of the Sky Club. Once you turn right, you’ll immediately see signs for the Sky Club.

https://i1.wp.com/thepointsguy.com/w...1-3.jpeg?ssl=1

The entrance is hard to miss. Once you enter, there are two receptionists to help check you in.

The lobby level is also where you’ll first notice pieces from the lounge’s thoughtful artwork collection. But don’t snap pics just yet, it only gets better once you ascend the escalator.

The first thing you’ll notice is the first of two marble-clad bars with backlit lighting.

To your right is one of the lounge’s many seating areas. In total, there’s seating for more than 340 during the pandemic. That will grow to more than 600 in a post-social distancing era,
hopefully helping to alleviate overcrowding once travel demand returns following the pandemic. There are plenty of seating options here — ranging from high-tops to benches to individual tables.

The third section has a mixture of workstations and recliners.

Then, you’ll pass through the lounge’s second bar, along with the second buffet before getting to the second main seating area.

For aviation enthusiasts like me, the hands-down best feature of the lounge is the covered Sky Deck, offering unparalleled views of the airfield and Wasatch mountain range.
There’s plenty of seating here, and — thanks to fans and heaters — the Sky Deck is where you’ll find me sitting year-round. Overall, the layout is quite simply one of the best
I’ve seen for airport lounges. The varied seating types, along with the custom-designed finishes, make this a space that you’ll want to visit...Copy By Zach Griff/The Points Guy

7 customer-friendly innovations at Delta’s newest and largest Sky Club that could become the norm

By Zach Griff - https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...c-innovations/
In case you missed it, Delta, along with Salt Lake City airport authorities, opened a brand-new terminal.

The new 4 million square foot Phase I terminal represents a massive transformation for flyers passing through SLC. Expect wide hallways, plenty of restrooms, top-notch retailers, 50-foot-high floor-to-ceiling windows and more. Tuesday’s grand opening marks the first phase of a multi-year project aimed at modernizing the nearly 50-year-old facility...

...So let’s now take a closer look at some of the new innovations that Delta employed at this new outpost that we hope keep spreading.

Self-check-in kiosks

Delta’s at the forefront of anti-coronavirus measures with its so-called CareStandard pledge. That promise covers the end-to-end travel journey, including the Sky Club lounges.

And when you enter the SLC lounge for the first time, you’ll notice that there aren’t just two receptionists waiting to greet you behind plexiglass. There are also four self-check-in kiosks that allow you to scan your boarding pass for automated, touchless entry to the lounge. Adding touchless entry kiosks doesn’t just help reduce touchpoints during a pandemic. With SLC being Delta’s busiest western hub, there are thousands of flyers passing through the Sky Club every day.

By automating entry, the carrier is also reducing the number of people queuing to enter.

In most cases, you’d need to visit a receptionist or shower attendant and get added to a standby list. You’d then receive a pager or a get called on the intercom when the shower was clean. Delta has a solution to modernize this queuing experience. When the showers open at the SLC club, there will be a digital kiosk that you can use to sign up for a shower (and get in line for personalized reservation assistance during irregular operations). You’ll then receive a text message
once the shower is clean and available.

The kiosk first debuted in Detroit, and guests love it, said Claude Roussel, managing director of Sky Clubs. And fortunately, “we’re planning to install it at other lounges,” Roussel added.

Have you ever wanted to have a sensitive phone conversation in an airport lounge? Well, unless you’re visiting during an off-peak time, odds are that your seating neighbors overhead what you were saying. In the Salt Lake City outpost,
Delta has a solution. The airline installed six individual Framery phone booths, as well as one handicapped accessible booth. These soundproof rooms are the perfect place to catch up with work or friends back home.Roussel noted that the
phone booths are in a pilot phase in Salt Lake. Hopefully, the airline receives positive feedback and adds them network-wide.

The pandemic has airlines rethinking the number of passenger touchpoints — especially in restrooms. Though touchless flushing and faucets are widespread, entering and exiting the bathroom still usually requires touching a handle.
Unless you’re in the Salt Lake City Sky Club. Both sets of restrooms feature touchless entry and exit. All you need to do is wave your hand by a sensor, and the door automatically opens for you. It’s magic for germaphobes and a welcome improvement for everyone during the pandemic.

Delta has installed what I’d call the Airbus A350 of coffee machines in the new SLC lounge. The Eversys coffee machines are sleek, modern, easy-to-use and futuristic — just like Delta’s flagship Airbus A350. Each machine has two operating spouts, allowing two guests to dispense coffee at the same time. Furthermore, if one side breaks, the other will remain operational. And finally, the machine is connected to the internet. When beans are running low or a part needs fixing, lounge attendants will receive a push notification — and address it immediately. Each machine has two operating spouts, allowing two guests to dispense coffee at the same time.

Locally inspired art

Over the past few years, Delta has opened new lounges in Austin, New Orleans and Phoenix. One similarity across these new Sky Clubs is the tastefully curated artwork adorning the walls. As you might expect,
Delta has upped the ante in its latest club now open at SLC. There are multiple unique installations that exude a sense of calm amidst the otherwise crowded terminal. Many of the pieces are designed by locally renowned artists.
By investing in a regionally inspired art program, Delta’s Sky Clubs begin to look less like airport lounges and more like hotel lobbies.

https://i2.wp.com/thepointsguy.com/w...-64.jpeg?ssl=1

https://i0.wp.com/thepointsguy.com/w...-63.jpeg?ssl=1

The cool new workstations

Delta clearly seems to be listening to customer feedback. (So if you’ve received a post-flight survey, be sure to answer it.) When the carrier opened a new Sky Club in Seattle, it tested out a new seating concept — a souped-up version
of the college lecture desk. These workstations feature a sliding desk, footrest, storage area, lamp and power outlets. According to Roussel, the airline received overwhelmingly positive feedback, and that’s why they’ve been installed
in the new SLC lounge.

Bottom Line

Though we’re in the midst of a pandemic, Delta is chugging along with its multiple airport redevelopment projects.

The newest terminal to open in Salt Lake City features a massive, flagship Sky Club that’s sure to be a hit with the carrier’s premium flyers.

As the airline continues building new lounges and renovating existing ones, hopefully, all of the innovations that Delta included in SLC make their way across the network.

All images by Zach Griff/The Points Guy

Last edited by delts145; Sep 25, 2020 at 12:51 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 5:41 PM
One Thing At A Time

Booked a cheap flight to Vegas just to go see the airport/sky club. I’m really excited. Can’t believe there hasn’t been more chatter about this being finished. This is probably the most important development in Salt Lake in a decade. Eccles theatre a close second imo.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 6:35 PM

Agree. SLC Int. is like a giant museum of contemporary art. Really like how the Canyon turned out, and the emphasis on art in general. It's almost worth booking a flight through Salt Lake City just to tour the airport.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 11:09 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
This was also a height talked about for the Hines tower to replace the Utah Theater.
Part of me wonders if this is the actual tower my acquaintance was referring to. There is a chance I misunderstood.

On a different topic, does anyone on this board have experience in SLC with lot line adjustments or lot consolidation when two parcels are bisected by a utility easement that has become obsolete?

I know SLC is generally pro-development, so I'm optimistic the city would be amenable to this change. But I'm honestly not sure what the process is like and how it's generally received.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 11:15 PM
NIMBY Hater

2020 Migration Trends

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 7:31 AM

The only cities similar to Salt Lake there are Milwaukee, Portland, and Kansas City. Those other towns are too big or too small,

Anywho, glad there’s growth I guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West