HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 1:26 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

65 Acacia Ave | 13m | 4f | Approved

The property is proposed to be developed for a four storey rental apartment building. The building will contain 12 residential units with a central elevator and 7 underground parking spaces and landscaped areas at the front and rear of the property.

The overall building height is four storeys, with the upper level being set further back from the interior property lines, to allow for increased privacy from the adjacent lots. The residential apartment dwellings will be provided with self-contained laundry, storage, kitchen and dining facilities, and are provided with ample natural lighting from the large windows with eastern and western exposure. The sun shadow study provided in the Appendix section shows the calculated shadows at different times of day depending on the seasons. Each unit will also be provided with access to underground parking (both vehicular and bicycle parking), the underground garbage area and amenity spaces at grade.

Architect: Susan D. Smith

Development application:
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__BQLFAY

Streetview:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.44387...7i13312!8i6656

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 1:45 AM
Living With My Mother

I’m liking it.

But the neighbours will hate it.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 12:34 PM

I think they discussed this one at a recent Planning Committee and it was approved with the Councillor's support (King).

I personally think it's a little too large for the area. Remove one floor and set it back another meter. Wouldn't go out of my way to oppose it though.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I think they discussed this one at a recent Planning Committee and it was approved with the Councillor's support (King).

I personally think it's a little too large for the area. Remove one floor and set it back another meter. Wouldn't go out of my way to oppose it though.
Is it any larger or taller than the apartment next door, taking the slope into account?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Is it any larger or taller than the apartment next door, taking the slope into account?
Based on the last rendering, I'd say just about the same height. If the top floor had a slopped roof like the complex next door (and all of the houses around), it might help better integrate with the area.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 4:57 PM

I could easily see the small brick house in the renderings being redeveloped in short order as well, given that it will now be wedged uncomfortably between two similarly-sized apartment buildings. I'm fine with the development, though I do have mixed feelings about what seems to be an ongoing attempt to clear out and densify the slope of Acacia Avenue from Rideau Terrace to Beechwood. I was actually relieved that the plans to redevelop the old Jacobson's building fell through. I understand the need for more density, but with a sea of derelict and/or vacant properties along Beechwood and in adjacent Vanier North, I guess it's just disappointing to see quaint older properties meet the wrecking ball when there are so many more-obvious redevelopment opportunities in the immediate area.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcanman View Post
I could easily see the small brick house in the renderings being redeveloped in short order as well, given that it will now be wedged uncomfortably between two similarly-sized apartment buildings. I'm fine with the development, though I do have mixed feelings about what seems to be an ongoing attempt to clear out and densify the slope of Acacia Avenue from Rideau Terrace to Beechwood. I was actually relieved that the plans to redevelop the old Jacobson's building fell through. I understand the need for more density, but with a sea of derelict and/or vacant properties along Beechwood and in adjacent Vanier North, I guess it's just disappointing to see quaint older properties meet the wrecking ball when there are so many more-obvious redevelopment opportunities in the immediate area.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcanman View Post
I didn’t mind the idea of more density at the old Jacobson’s site, but the proposed building was dreadful. I hope it’s gone, never to return.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
I’m liking it.

But the neighbours will hate it.
OH NO! The roof is f- f- fl- fl- FLAAATT!!!!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 4:28 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Approved (April 2022):

Looks like this got severely dumbed-down.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quite the downgrade in design (and rendering quality).

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Quite the downgrade in design (and rendering quality).
At least this time it's vertical, because one of those older renderings left some doubt.

Almost looks like a Halifax/Saint John/St. John's clapboard mansard-roofed townhouse of yore, only modirn.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa